Doula Interview

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Regular
We get to interview our first doula tomorrow. I already have a feeling we will like her because she has been recommended, but I have 3 to choose from. What questions do you ask when you interview a doula?
July 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hmmmm..i may not be the best to give advice.. i never had a doula. i only had my midwife. but i have known many doulas, and have attended an unattended birth with a doula present.

i would suggest trusting your instincts.

is she someone that you like?
are you comfortable in her presence?
do you want her there at your most intimate/ and eventful moment in your life?
is she experienced?
what are some of her most memorable births?
does she have the same interests as you? (if you are into meditation, herbal remedies, spirituality.. etc)
what is her strengths/ weakness?

you just will know if she is the one for you. if she irritates you at first visit, these things wont be helpful at the time of your labour when you are most vonerable.

good luck, and let us know how it went~
July 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the most meorable birth one. You will be able to find out a lot about her by that. Make sure you find out what her view of natural chidlbirth is to.
July 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Regular
Thank you for the suggestions... I wouldn't have thought about asking about most memorable births. Good idea.

I will report back tomorrow!
July 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Regular
Well, we now have a doula! I knew she was one of the most experienced doulas in the area, so I had high expectations, which she met. She explained everything so well I hardly even had to ask anything. She actually asked ME some good questions so she could get a feel for what I need and wnat. For instance, why do I want to have a natural childbirth? We'll meet again in a few weeks to go over the "Birth Options" (a friendly version of a birth plan) and she gave us some homework that both my husband and I have to fill out - One page is "my ideal birth" and "my biggest fears".

One of my major concerns this whole time is how the hospital will fit in with my desire to have a natural birth, and she put me at ease about that. She said only 5% of people have a natural birth in our city. (30% are induced and 30% have c-sections!!!!!) Some nurses are excited to be a part of an unmedicated birth, and those nurses will be assigned to a couple when they are seen walking in with her (the doula). She said even if one of the anti-natural nurses ended up with us, she would keep tension out of the room and protect us from that. But she said she is well known there now and it would be rare if that did happen. She also confirmed that I have a great OB - In fact, her own granddaughter goes to the same one.

I was pleasantly surprised that she already had some experience with hypnosis, which is great since I am using hypnobabies. Her center uses the Hypbirth program, and she is interested in learning more about hypnobabies so she can be sure to use the right terminology and work with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search