Birth Pools

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By HappyHippy
  • 1 Post By LadyCoconut
  • 1 Post By Kiwi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
For the home water birthers out there:

What kind of birth pool will you be using? Did you buy it or are you renting it? When do you plan on setting it up? Did anyone have issues using it on the second floor of your house?

I was recently given an Aquaborn eco birth pool and kit. One of my clients attempted a home birth and transferred to the hospital before getting a chance to use her pool and she gifted it to me. I'm excited about it (it's a VERY nice birth pool and I was originally planning on getting the $30 fishy pool), but unsure about the liner. There are handles inside the pool and I'm not sure if the liner accommodates for them. I'd like to be able to have access to them. I'd love to work out the liner so I could lend it to friends/clients in the future.

I also normally set up the pools for my clients when they are in labor. But my doula has some back issues and my husband is useless when it comes to this stuff, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to set it up around 40 weeks and have everything ready to go and just waiting to be filled up. During my last labor, I enjoyed laboring on my own for most of the labor before including anyone else in (didn't call my husband for 9 hours).

I'm also hoping to use the pool in our bedroom, which is in a finished attic on our second floor. It's pretty sturdy up there so I'm hoping it's not an issue. We have a full bathroom up there. Just hope we won't need many trips to the kitchen I guess for boiling water.

Anyhow- I was bored and just wondering what others plan on doing and what sort of pool you'll be using.

June 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm birthing at AMC so I'm not much help. I am worried they'll run out of tubs and have considered buying a kiddie pool as a back up though

My friend travels for her husbands job so they live on the road and she has had two home waterbirths at hotels... Not on the ground floor and the weight of the pool hasn't been an issue. I imagine it would be fine especially since the weight is distributed across the whole bottom of
The pool unlike a bed sitting on four feet or something kwim?

June 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM
I haven't heard of AMC ever having a problem with running out of pools. They do have one where the bottom won't inflate any more. You know if you got that one, that you got last dibs, lol. They just got some more though.

June 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't knock the fishy pool, I had one That is awesome that you got a real pool for free. I have no idea about the weight being an issue. We had ours set up in our kitchen and our house is on a slab so no weigh issues here. We inflated ours around 38 weeks and it lived in the garage until I went into labor. One word of advice would be to have your husband (or whoever will be disassembling it) practice with the sump pump beforehand. DH flooded our kitchen .

I don't think I will bother with a birth pool next time. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I was only in it for a short time before getting out. I've heard that most women love them so maybe I'm just weird.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

June 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm hoping to get a good bit of use out of it. I labored in my VERY uncomfortable bath tub at home for quite a while before leaving for the hospital last time. Once I got to the hospital, there wasn't enough time to set up the birth pool before baby made it. I would have LOVEd to stay in the water. Even in my uncomfortable bath tub, lol.

June 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
I haven't heard of AMC ever having a problem with running out of pools. They do have one where the bottom won't inflate any more. You know if you got that one, that you got last dibs, lol. They just got some more though.
When we did the meet & greet Anjili said they've never run out of tubs but have had them all in use and it just made me nervous. We go at the end of June for that water birth class...

June 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoconut View Post
We go at the end of June for that water birth class...
AKA- Informed consent class. It's a joke. I feel like if they require those for water births, then the hospital should require a class for epidurals and scheduled c-sections too.
daneeleigh and ChicaChels like this.

June 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I own a La Bassine. I used it for a bit with ds2 but didn't give birth in it. I'll set it up next time around too and see what happens.
therevslady likes this.
June 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~

AKA- Informed consent class. It's a joke. I feel like if they require those for water births, then the hospital should require a class for epidurals and scheduled c-sections too.
Oh I totally agree. I laughed at how dr bootstaylor was like "yeah you need to pay to take a class to
Know the risks of delivering in WATER... But an epidural? Initial here ma'am"
therevslady likes this.

June 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
.kelley.'s Avatar formerly kktegan
Send a message via AIM to .kelley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusF View Post
Don't knock the fishy pool, I had one That is awesome that you got a real pool for free. I have no idea about the weight being an issue. We had ours set up in our kitchen and our house is on a slab so no weigh issues here. We inflated ours around 38 weeks and it lived in the garage until I went into labor. One word of advice would be to have your husband (or whoever will be disassembling it) practice with the sump pump beforehand. DH flooded our kitchen .

I don't think I will bother with a birth pool next time. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I was only in it for a short time before getting out. I've heard that most women love them so maybe I'm just weird.
Tell me about this sump pump. is it for emptying? Where did you get it?
June 5th, 2012, 08:37 AM
A lot of places that sell birth pools have the pumps. I know they are also on amazon. We use one at church when we empty the baptismal, so the hubs is pretty well versed on how to use it.

June 5th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i can give you some answers but not from myself. I personally did my water birth at AMC (it was awesome!) never at home. My sister has done 2 home water births though. She has one of the regular fishy pools and never had a problem with it on her 2nd floor. I believe she had it set up around 38weeks because her babies tend to come a week early.
DD born 1/3/12

June 6th, 2012, 12:29 AM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can get a sump pump attachment for your drill which is what we had. You attach a hose to each end of it. Dh couldn't get it to work right or something and water went everywhere.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

June 6th, 2012, 12:11 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I labored in a tub at the birth center so I'm no help. I'm like you Melissa though, I couldn't stay in for long. It DID help my horrible back labor but that's it. By the time I got in I was in transition and nothing else mattered at that point. I got out of the tub to be checked while they redid the water and that's when they discovered his head was coming out. They asked if I wanted to get back in and I said NO I'll just push him out here (on the bed). My one regret was not getting back in the tub. I did want that water birth experience. However, I only pushed five times and had a very small tear so I don't think it would have made much difference. My next one, I will make sure they keep me in the tub lol.
June 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I own a La Bassine as well and really liked it, although I ended up delivering in my bed it was nice to have it as an option. I didn't have it upstairs though. I think I would have just used a really long hose from the kitchen to upstairs lol

June 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a really deep, large bath and I've had a crawl around in it... I think I'll be able to give birth in it quite easily, lol! I'm just worried about running out of hot water!
therevslady likes this.

June 12th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah running out of hot water is my concern. What I usually do for my clients when this happens is boil water in a large pot and add it in if we are in a hurry. That's why I'm concerned about my kitchen being far from my bedroom. I have a bathroom upstairs in the attic, but I think our hot water tank is only large enough to get the pool halfway full. Thankfully, the hot water heater works pretty fast. I just need to be careful about not ignoring my labor like last time... I was in denial for so long. If I time it right, the hot water issue shouldn't be a problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search