Natural may no longer be an option UPDATE: He is here!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 12:27 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I had an ultrasound a bit over a week ago and baby is no longer small... by any means. He's in the 70 something percentile and over 7lbs according to ultrasound and my midwife felt him and guessed closer to 8lbs.
Ashlynn was 8lbs 14oz and nearly killed both of us (I hemorrhaged badly and she had shoulder distocia) so at this point I'm praying I go into labor naturally..SOON.
If not, I will be discussing induction with my midwife on Wednesday.
I really wanted a natural birth.. no medications, no interventions.. but in the end I need to focus on the fact that the threat of danger to baby and myself is very real and I need to focus on our health, not what type of birth I want.
I know pelvises can widen and baby measurements can be off, but imo this isn't something I can take the risk with and just hope they are wrong or my body is more equipped. If something happened to my little guy, I'd never forgive myself.
So, if you ladies could send me labor vibes I'd be grateful. I'd rather he come on his own!
I've tried natural induction methods to no avail, so I'm not super hopeful.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!

Last edited by KiwiMommy; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
June 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I hope labor starts on its own soon, you can still have a natural birth even when induced I wish you the best of luck.

June 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I remember pitocin contractions when they had me hooked up to it with DD and I don't think I could handle those without an epi, to be honest. I'll try my best, of course..but those contractions HURT! Ouch!

June 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry things aren't looking too promising for a natural birth for you. My little girl surprised us all by being 8lb 13oz, we were expecting closer to 8. But she was also 2 weeks overdue and I was days away from an induction... I was really not looking forward to dealing with that! I understand having had a bad experience in the past with the shoulder dystocia that you'd have some major reservations. Just big hugs. I think either way, waiting or being induced, you're going to be nervous.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
June 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I hope you go into labor soon! But if it does come down to it, you might consider asking your care provider if they do foley bulb inductions or low-dose pit inductions (with minimum IV fluids). Given that you are not yet 39 weeks, you might benefit from something like cervidil as well.

A low dose pitocin induction starts out at 2ml/u increasing 1-2 ml/u every 15 mins for the first hour, then every 30 mins after that. Ending at 8-10 ml/u during active labor and going no higher than 20 ml/u during pushing. The goal for low dose pit inductions is to kick start your own contractions coming about every 2-5 mins apart lasting about 1.5 mins long, with the idea that you may be able to wean yourself off of the drugs and labor on your own. The contractions are easier to monitor, uterine rupture is less likely, and it helps your body find it's own rhythm, so the contractions feel more natural.

Foley bulb inductions put a cath inside your cervix and a little balloon puts pressure on your cervix to stimulate your own oxytocin and to encourage dilation. It is a drug free induction method. Some care providers use it in combination with a breast pump, others use it alone, and others use it in combination with low dose pit.

You have to have a patient care provider to use these options. They do take a while, because it simulates early labor and slowly mimics the natural progression of labor during the entire stay in the hospital. If your care provider charts and follows a labor curve, these may be difficult options for them to try because early labor doesn't often have a pattern.

But they are great options to discuss. Many care providers who women see for natural birth are usually more open to these ideas.
lunarmagic and noworries like this.

June 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you go into labor soon on your own! I understand the fear of a big baby. Grant (my 3rd) was measured at 10lbs, 2oz at 37 weeks, 5 days. I gave birth to him (all natural) at 39 weeks, 5 days and he was 9lbs, 12oz. One shoulder did get stuck. I was fairly scared because Violet (my 2nd) was stuck for a few hours of pushing, but that was due to her head hitting my bone, but I was still scared.

June 11th, 2012, 06:36 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope baby decides to come soon! What all are you trying to naturally induce?
June 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Remember too, how much YOUR position can open your pelvis.

Mama to:
Nick, 18
Abby, 16
Gabe, 14
Isaac, 12
Mary-Kate, 11
Sam, 9
Henry, 8
Molly, 7
Mark, 5
Greta, 4
Cecilia,2
Josephine,1
Baby due Jan. 2014
June 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Sending lots of labor dust your way. Hopefully things will kick off on their own and you can avoid an induction.

June 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
To get things going naturally I tried nipple stimulation until I thought they'd fall off (they were SO sore and I somehow managed to hand express nearly 1/2 an ounce!), walking as much as I can, pressure points, bouncing on a bouncy ball and DTD. Pretty sure dtd effaced me from 0 to 75% in a week so I'm probably 100% effaced now. Nipple stimulation caused some contractions but they stopped and it doesn't work anymore and everything else did nothing.
I did call my Dr's office and had no luck with anything induction wise (they made it seem like I'm overreacting) but they offered to strip my membranes for a second time tomorrow at my appointment. Hoping it works. I was 3cm and 75% effaced last week and I'm thinking I'm probably 4cm and 100% now.
I could be wrong and may have stalled, but I doubt it.
I'll know more about what will be going on tomorrow at my appointment at 1:45.
I just hope the membrane stripping puts me into labor. I'm losing sleep over the worry.. I almost lost my daughter and almost lost my own life.. I can't do that again..

June 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
I hope things get moving soon!
I can't even begin to imagine your worry.

June 22nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
He is here! 8lbs 1.4oz and 20 inches long. No complications aside from a bit of meconium in his fluid that didn't cause an issue but did take our delayed cord clamping plans away. I didn't go 100% natural.. I got some mild meds a couple times to rest and did eventually give in to the epi, but I'm still pretty proud of how far I made it med-free.. It got to the point where I was in so much pain that I was freaking out my SO and mom..and was preoccupied by a nurse who kept giving me tissues. I really wanted to throw something at this woman over tissues. TISSUES!

Here's his birth story if anyone is curious: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...s-arrival.html
He's doing great and I am so happy about how his birth went. It really couldn't have been much better. Compared to my daughter's birth..even the epi I had with her compared to his.. this birth was the most amazing thing in this world. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat if I ever thought I could handle another pregnancy. Unfortunately, that is most likely not possible.
Thanks so much for all your support girls! Although I did not go natural, you all helped me tremendously with everything.

June 25th, 2012, 07:22 AM
noworries
Congrats! Glad that you are happy with how the birth went.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search