We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Yes yes and yes. I had an OB group that I wasn't comfortable with from the start but didn't bother switching. I thought I could smile and nod through my appointments, show up late in labor and do it my way.
I wound up with pre-e and declined an induction, went in and thankfully had a fast labor where I was able to decline pit in spite of te mag and continue to ignore the martyr comments about my not wanting pain meds. We had a heated discussion the weeks leading up to my birthing time about me not consenting to a routine episiotomy and she cut one anyway.
So considering the circumstances I'm pleased that I avoided the interventions I could like pit and pain meds, but it was not the intervention free birth I thought I could get away with.
Sort of. I had tricare Prime initially and needed a referral to go to the birth center. My doctor refused it and the hospital I was supposed to deliver at is NOT NCB friendly. At 26 weeks my insurance switched to standard and I no longer needed a referral. I called the birth center immediately and got in. I left my previous OB and never looked back. I'm currently looking for a new GYN for my female needs but not OB needs.
Lily was NCB at a hospital - no issues, no having to argue for anything.
Vi was a home birth - again no issues. May have had issues if I had her at a hospital though because she was stuck for 3 hours during pushing with her head hitting my pelvic bone.
Grant was NCB at a hospital - no issues during labor/delivery. I did have a growth scan at 37w,5d due to concerns my NP had about his size. He measured 10lbs, 2oz at that scan and they started talking about induction, auto c/s, etc. They scheduled another u/s at 39w,5d, but I went into labor that day and delivered him without going. I'm sure they would have pushed for a c/s if I had gone to the u/s. He was 9lbs, 12oz. One shoulder did get stuck and there was supposed to be extra staff in the room because of his possible large size + there was meconium in the amniotic fluid, but I pushed him out in 2 pushes, so most of the staff was still running in.
I have never had any provider (OB, NP or midwife) care if I wanted a NCB or not. All were supportive of my choices.
Not really. I had her at home so there really wasn't any interventions available. I shudder to think what would've happened if I had seen an OB at the hospital here. They are not NCB friendly at all. I know I would have been induced and probably I would have ended up with a vacuum/forceps delivery if not a csection. I'm really glad I was able to avoid all that!
Shannon, I would have been livid if my dr cut an episiotomy without my consent after I had told them I didn't want one. Were you able to confront them about it later?
Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"
Jacob was a natural birth, planned for home, but due to light bleeding I was transfered to hospital. He was born 7 minutes after I arrived at hospital.
Everything was fairly straight forward and I didn't feel like I had to fight to have a natural birth, although natural births are the norm in New Zealand.
Prior to birth, I did discuss with my midwife about not cutting me during labour, which she was fine with at the time. But during the labour she told me she wanted do an episiotomy right when I was pushing as she felt I was going to tear really badly... but Jacob came out way to fast and I did tear. Who knows if it would have been better if I had an episiotomy?!
My first was a NCB in a hospital that I did not have to fight for anything. I didn't realize how lucky I had gotten that my midwives were both on staff and it s super-quiet in the hospital. There was not one mention of an epi, pit, or even an IV. I was in labor for 2.5 hours (at the hospital) and pushed for 30 minutes. No hoops at all.
But Kierans birth followed a whole different trajectory and I did not have a NCB with him. I had some Nubain and a full dose of pitocin. He was breech when my water broke and because of some clotting issues (I was on blood thinners) we needed to be at the hospital to figure out our plan. The combination of being at the hospital so early, having the main doctor (no midwives) on staff, and them wanting so much monitoring....yeah...it was more medical than I had hoped. But I still had support for NCB and my nurses were totally on board. They were the ones who kept the doctor away for so long, allowing me more time before pitocin and helping me decide on that half-dose of Nubain to help me relax. So I still felt like I had some choices and was not having things "pushed" on me that I didn't want.
I would have been livid and a "fighter" if they had not respected my wishes in ways I felt were not necessary. But I do feel they consulted me in all the decisions and the reasoning behind my choices were valid. So, I still don't feel like there were hoops, even if I did not have a NCB.
No. My kids were all hospital births and Eva and Isaac were both natural births. We have very NCB friendly hospitals here and I didn't have to fight for anything. They did monitor me more closely with Isaac because my previous pregnancy ended in a stillbirth but they were still very respectful of what I wanted and didn't push me to get any tests that I didn't want.
No. My first birth did not go as planned as it was a stillbirth, and my second I barely made it to the hospital in time, but at no point in any of my pregnancies or labors was I pressured to use meds or anything. This last labor the midwife got me a birthing ball and encouraged me to move and walk and drink water. No issues at all in the hospital.
Our biggest struggle was for my current pregnancy. Because DD has Down syndrome I was classified as "high risk" by state law and had to have an OB approval to continue my care at the birth center. She was going to make me have the AFP and a level II ultrasound, etc. I decided rather than all that stress just to have a non-invasive blood test done, but had to see a maternal fetal medicine specialist first. It was a lot of stress and anxiety, but we got the okay.
My first, no, there was nothing hindering my natural freestanding birth center birth. I had awesome midwives who didn't interfere, even after I passed the forty-second week.
My second, yes, I did have to fight for my homebirth. Because we went into the forty-third week, the midwife I had with him put a lot of pressure on us to have a hospital induction and I was staring down the barrel of that when he was actually born (He was born at home only forty-one minutes before we were scheduled to begin the induction.).
We're hoping to find a different midwife this time to avoid any hassles or bullying if this baby gestates long like big brothers did.
i wouldnt say i had to jump through hoops. I did have to do some work though. I had to search out a hospital and midwives that offered what i was looking for. I couldnt just go to the hospital that was closest to me. I chose to have a water birth so i also had to do a waterbirth class. Once I found the proper place and people, it wasnt hard at all. I did have to worry a bit about the 45min drive.
during the labor i had my midwife right there so i didnt have to even mention my wishes, they already knew
Erin & Jeremy
DS 6yrs old
DD born 1/3/12