? about NCB Pain

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By WorkerBeeMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so this might be long winded, but here goes. I have two daughters, 10 and 6.5. I was induced with my first when she was three days late and I was already having small contractions. I was in labor with pitocin for 5 hours and push for like 2 minutes before she came out. I had two epis as the first one did not work. I could barely feel anything after the second. I was happy as a lark

DD #2 I was 10 days early and being induced due to bad sciatica and back pain. I was in labor for 6 hours with pitocin and had 1 epi that basically took the edge off for contractions. When it came time to push, I was shocked - I felt like I could feel everything and the epi was no longer working or something. It felt like a ring of fire and I freaked out for like 60 seconds and then just pushed as hard as I could so that she would come out fast and I would no longer be in pain. I pushed for like 4-5 minutes and she was out and I was crying cause it hurt so bad.

My question is, how bad is NCB? Meaning no epi or pain meds and a vaginal birth? Will it be like the second birth but more painful contractions or worse all together in every aspect. I'm just thinking about whether I want to do NCB with my third and if so then when I get pregnant I want my DH and I to take a class (this is his first biological child).

Also, what is a good birthing class to take? I never took any classes for DD 1 or DD2 and I was so unprepared for #2's delivery. I only took parenting and baby care classes.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Jamyandcrew's Avatar Veteran
First off, I think you will find that if you plan for this kind of birth it will actually hurt less than with your second. If you can avoid induction, natural contractions aren't too bad. I had my first with pitocin and later an epi. My second was all natural and much less painful. It does get more painful around transition but if you are well prepared, you will be more relaxed and therefore in less pain. I took a hypnobirthing course and learner that fear causes you to tense up which makes normal muscle contractions hurt. By relaxing instead of tensibg you can minimize pain. It really jade sense to me and it worked! I wont say my birth was without pain but it was not intolerable and afterward I felt amazing! I plan to recreate that birth with my third baby this fall!
July 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some women say that their NCB was painless. I did not experience this but at the same time I loved my birth and can't wait to do it again. I think taking a birthing class focused on NCB pain management will really help you prepare. I took one and knowing the methods ahead of time helped me once labor started. Also my doula was amazing and knew what to do before I even knew what to ask for. I think the worst part for me was I had back labor so pushing to me was not painful at all and felt like a breeze. In fact pushing was the greatest part of my labor, I was so ready to be done I had him in 5 pushes. Transition is painful but it's a small portion of the labor usually. I had about 45 minutes of intense pressure that was hard to work through but my support team was awesome and I don't regret a second of it. After birth you feel like superwoman. Hell it's been five months and I still get a high just thinking about it lol.
July 12th, 2012, 08:01 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't posted here in a while but will do a reintroduction post soon.

I had a ncb with my first. No drugs. No interventions. My birth story with Alexa is posted in our birth stories here on this board. I studied hypnobabies and loved it.

Check out hypnobabies.com. Get a doula. Read inspiration birth stories. Read Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. Sit on a birth ball. My birth wasn't pain free but I didn't use the word pain- I used pressure. And not contractions- but pressure waves. Your brain is trained to dismiss the thought of pain and focus on your baby you will be holding. I'm pregnant now and can't wait to do it all over again. Oh watc Business of Being Born. Pit and an epi only make pain higher and chances of it snowballing into a c/s happens so often. Why chance that when our bodies are designed to do it. And it was the most thrilling thing I've accomplished. You get this natural birth euphoria that is so wonderful. And baby get none of the effects of all the drugs.

July 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I really want to do NCB with the next one, but was a little scared. Sounds like it will be better than what I experienced with #2. I was planning on taking bradley classes but I am going to look into hypnobirthing as well. Any thoughts on those two methods?

Mindy & Josh
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've taken a Bradley class and read some hypnobirthing and I think both have positive aspects! The Bradley class I took was less about exactly what to do and more about knowing what to expect and she had lots of suggestions for what to try at different stages of labor. It really helped me feel more in control because I understood the different stages and what was going on in my body.. and for me understanding the physical side of it helped me to relax and let my body do its work. Hypnobirthing sounded to me more of the mental preparation side of things. Both are important! Go with whatever seems to click more with you, or work better with your schedule.

As for pain.... it's funny, I don't really call my births painful except for the 10 minutes of transition/pushing. I definitely had that feeling of pain as they are crowning and all I want to do is push as hard as I can to get that baby out! It's a crazy feeling. But the rest of labor leading up to it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm a weird one, I don't know. I have friends who describe their labors much differently than mine. But I have had two natural births and I was happy to just bounce on my birth ball and breathe through contractions. The one thing I will say, however, is that I learned to listen to my body. If I tried to lay down or lean back or move in the wrong way then it HURT... like crazy pain. But as long as I relaxed all my other muscles and leaned forward and let my uterus do its thing then it was more like just little pressure waves rolling through. I could feel some discomfort and pressure as their heads came down, my last one was pressing against my spine and that was uncomfortable.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
July 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not say my last birth was pain free (first birth was a csection). It definitely was a bit uncomfortable. I took a hypnosis class that really prepared me and my husband. A Dr. taught it and she talked about how we are in control in the labor/delivery room and not the nurses. Knowing how to breath, relax and rest after each contraction was huge for me. Once I started pushing, I felt total relief and no pain.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

July 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with doing what your body says to do. I could have stayed on the birth ball or in the shower all labor it was so awesome (I prefered the shower over the tub during labor). My Doula would get me on all fours or walk the stairs just to change it up cause she said I was getting too comfy and my labor stalled for a little while (I was at 6 cm for almost 5 hours).
July 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I love reading the science behind pain management. I think this article might help you understand how what you felt before can be different from what you'd feel without having had any meds in the first place:
Ecstatic Birth: The Hormonal Blueprint of Labor | mothering
Carwen*Angel likes this.

July 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I decided to do NCB and look into the bradley method or hypnobirthing (I'll decide when I'm actually pregnant with #3, lol). I told my DH I want a doula for this one since I will be going o natural and he was supportive of it, so yay!

~Que~, I am going to read that article, thanks!!
therevslady likes this.

Mindy & Josh
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 15th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I didn't end up with a natural birth with my son because my water ruptured and 24 hours later the mild contractions I began to have completely wore off so I had syntocinon (UK equivalent of pitocin). I do not believe that the level of pain I had before I was even 3cm dilated would have occurred if I had been labouring naturally. I put up with it for a long time but eventually caved in to an epi.

I am therefore hoping that this baby will be my first natural birth experience. I have read the hypnobirthing book (Mongan method) cover to cover twice and my DP once, and we are now practising the exercises - I have also purchased a TENS machine for the security of a bit of extra help and we have requested the birth pool for later labour if it is available when we go in. The book makes a LOT of sense about how if fear is not present it is not logical that there would be pain as the female body is naturally designed to give birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search