They're suggesting induction!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By pickle0313
  • 4 Post By Lala78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I there! I was here In 2010 during my pregnancy. I'm here today because I want to see what everyone here would do... My 20-yr-old niece is 38 weeks first baby. Her doc says her ds is 6.6 lbs now but that she (my niece Ashley) hasn't gained weight in three weeks. They say if her fluids are ok Monday they will induce. I am suggesting that she try to jump start labor in any other way before pitocin. I told her to ask about cervix ripening and membrane sweeping and suggested all the other tricks like nipple stimulation, etc.

What would you do?

[url=http://lilypie.com]
July 19th, 2012, 03:28 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They want to induce just because mama hasn't gained weight? Seems like a stupid "reason"to me.

July 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As long as baby seems to be growing, then I wouldn't induce at all. I gained 7 lbs with my last pregnancy, but lost it all in the last 2 months of pregnancy. My provider wasn't concerned at all that my net gain was 0 pounds.

July 19th, 2012, 08:56 PM
They say the baby also hasn't grown in three weeks.

July 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
If there are signs of IUGR, that might be an evidence-based reason for induction. I would encourage Evening Primrose Oil and Red Rasberry Leaf Tea to help ripen and ready her body.

You can read more about the research related to induction in this scenario here:
Best Evidence: Induction of Labor | Induction of Labor :: Childbirth Connection
Carwen*Angel likes this.

July 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
Evening Primrose Oil for sure!!!! Make sure she's putting it "up there" and not taking it by mouth. And let's not forget -- sex, sex, SEX!!!!

As a side note - I was induced with my 2nd. My cervix was already at 3 cm and I had a midwife who knew the importance of taking the induction SLOWLY.... And I have to say I had a much easier more consistent labor with my 2nd... I was able to actually rest & breathe between contractions, and I did it all without any medical interventions or pain meds! Make sure if she goes the induction route she has an OB who understands the importance of upping the dose of pitocin SLOWLY, and I would definitely have her ask if they can give her a cervical ripener prior to starting the pitocin, if at all possible.
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.

July 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I must have read it wrong, I thought your first post says that your niece hasn't gained in three weeks. If the baby isn't progressing then I understand them wanting to induce but if it's just her not gaining weight then I'd say lucky her lol.

I used EPO vaginally for a few weeks and ended up having my son at 38w5d and I was also drinking several cups a day of red raspberry leaf tea. I think it definitely helped rippen my cervix for labor. It probably wont induce her but atleast prep her cervix so that labor isn't as slow?
July 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I was also going to suggest EPO and red raspberry leaf tea, sex, and walking. For sure try natural things before the induction, but from what you said it sounds to me like they are fairly clear on their ideas about why they need to induce. I hope everything goes well and she is soon holding her healthy baby in her arms. Let us know!

July 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM
She has been fairly successful in jump starting the labor naturally. She's pretty miserable but has been having contractions for the last couple days and now they're 5 mins apart. Sounds like back and hip pain. She's been in twice only to be sent home. Think she's displayed to a 3. That's a lot better than starting the pitocin with no labor!! I keep telling her it's a good thing! It's what she wanted: get it going naturally. I bet she has him in the next day or so with no pitocin. Unfortunately, I'm also betting that if she gets admitted she will take whatever pain relief is suggested. She's pretty sad at this point. I told her to get in the tub. Poor kid. I'm praying she doesn't exhaust too quickly.

July 22nd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Will be thinking of her and praying for her. I'm sure water would help give her some relief but I do totally understand, I ended up with pain relief with my DS because I had such a long labour.

July 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Wahoo! She did it all natural! Elliot James born tonight at 7:59! After a couple of days of contractions! The day BEFORE she was supposed to be induced!!!

July 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome news! Congratulations!
July 23rd, 2012, 06:10 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
That's GREAT! Congrats to her and your family!!!

July 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
FANTASTIC - congratulations to her!

July 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
YAY! Congrats to her & kudos on an all natural birth!!! I'm sure she's pretty thrilled with the outcome!

July 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So happy to hear this! Congrats to her and the family!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search