well then...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
So, I am currently 5 days over my due date. I was really hoping to not go over due, but as everyone seems to LOVE to remind me, ftm usually go over. I keep hoping every day will be "the day" but then the day ends and nope, no baby. She is still super active, and seems utterly content in there. I tell DH she clearly takes after him, and he is the one who hits the snooze button for an HOUR every morning..haha she just doesn't want to get out.

My dr doesn't like to see baby stay in much past 41wks+3 days. I will be 41wks on Sunday, and she left it up to me if I want to go in for induction right away or wait. I could wait longer then the 41+3, but that would mean much more monitoring, which I don't want to do. So, I have elected to go in Sunday AM to start induction if she hasn't arrived on her own by then. I know I could wait the 3 more days, but I feel like I have been waiting so long already, PLUS my FIL in coming here on Wednesday, and I would really like to have my baby home by then. ugh. I was really hoping to avoid this, but unless something amazing happens in the next 36 hours, it looks like I will be getting induced on Sunday. Not going to lie tho, I do look forward to knowing that its only a matter of days/hours until I finally get to hold my precious little girl. At this point it feels like the light at the end of the tunnel!

Now, she explained the different methods of induction, but what I forgot to ask was what is the least invasive for baby? It sounds like we would start with cervidial (i think that's what it is called), and see if my body responds to that. I think I like that better than being hooked to an IV for Oxy or having them break my waters.

*sigh* I just needed to get that out, if you read it all, thanks
If any one wants to share their experience with induction please feel free.
July 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've had two inductions at 42 weeks. With both, I was given cervidil at night with the plan to start pit the next morning. Both times, the cervidil put me into labor with no need for pit. Having gone into spontaneous labor with my third, I can tell you that those contractions were a bit more intense than my natural labor contractions, and I had very fast labors both times. My natural labor was pretty fast too.

That being said, I've supported a lot of clients through this process as well. Every woman and every baby responds differently. And my personal experience at work as shown me that my experience is rare.

Either way, I hope that it helps tremendously and that you have a smooth and easy labor. Congrats in advance!

July 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
My personal experience with induction happened with my 2nd, not my first. I've heard it is harder on first timers....

With my induction, I was already 3cm dilated. The midwife started low doses of pitocin & upped it very gradually. My labor was much more consistent than it was with my first, and I was able to rest in between contractions & really didn't feel uncomfortable with labor at all until transition.. (7cms) Even then, it was easily manageable, much more so than my "natural" labor with my first. I was induced around 5pm and had him at 1:30am. I had a really good experience, and had no pain meds at all, but I know my experience is pretty rare too. Everyone always told me don't get pitocin, don't get pitocin, but I feel like I had a much better labor & birth experience with him than I did with my first...

Good luck. Just make sure your OB plans to take the induction slow. If I were you I would not allow them to break my water. They did that with my first labor to try and speed things up and it didn't help at all, and just set the clock ticking because they want that baby OUT once the water is broken. But that's just my 2 cents!

July 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience with this but I hope baby decides to surprise you and come on her own. Either way it's almost over! I know several people who never needed pitocin cause the cervadil sent them into labor so I hope that's the case for you. I've heard mixed things on inductions and no pain meds versus natural with no pain meds. Some people say it's so much worse but then again having regular contractions could allow you a break in between? I'm not sure. My active labor stage had no breaks in between it felt like. Transition was intense but I was getting several minutes in between each contraction to rest.

Good luck Sunday!
therevslady likes this.
July 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I had an induction at 41+6 with my son and they just went straight for the syntocinon (UK equivalent to pit).

I had had my waters break the day before so they weren't up for leaving me any longer to go into labour naturally.

My labour was long, taking around 12 hours to even get into established labour and dilate to 3cm, the contractions were very intense (though I have no basis for comparison other than the natural practice contractions I've had with this baby), and even when I got to 10cm baby was so far up I ended up with an assisted delivery via ventouse.

So me personally, I wouldn't recommend the hard stuff to anybody unless absolutely necessary and would suggest you ask them to try everything else first and build it up so it's not such a shock for your body or baby's.

On the brighter side of all this, keep telling yourself how wonderful it will be to hold your baby in your arms and holding onto that view of this being the light at the end of the tunnel. Labour doesn't last forever and you have to keep your eye on the prize. Good luck with everything!
therevslady likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search