Need ideas...wont go into labor!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By LadyCoconut
  • 2 Post By daneeleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been having on/off contractions for weeks. My midwife said the pattern I'm having is also known as "coupling". I guess where the baby is in a poor position, the body will have a few stronger contractions followed by some weaker ones then fizzle out. All in an effort to move the baby into a better position. When I was at the birth center Friday, baby seemed to be in the right position just her head turned kind of posterior (front to back, instead of side to side I guess - facing my spine). Walking and laying on my side seemed to get her to move her head and actually press on my cervix instead of in front of my cervix. I was 5cm and mostly effaced when I left Friday afternoon. They figured once I got some rest at home, have our usual afternoon storm, contractions would pick up and we'd have a baby. NOPE.

So here I am, Sunday at 5am. I've had contractions on and off since Friday afternoon. BUT THEY ALL FIZZLE OUT! I called my midwife yesterday in tears because while I'm up and doing stuff they are 5 minutes apart, have to breath through them, can't stand anyone to talk to me, talking or walking through them is near impossible. YET, the SECOND I sit down they stop. I had contractions to the point that I couldn't eat my dinner so I said I was going upstairs to lay down (exhausted). Had probably 5-7 contractions between eating and trying to get upstairs. Then, I fall into bed NOTHING! She said it sounds like just BH and take a bath and see what happens. I got more contractions, but the bath relaxed me enough to take a nap and of course contractions really did stop.

I don't know what to do. I'm at least 5 cm, fairly sure I'm as effaced as effaced can get (if not 100%, I'm as close as I can be considering dilation). I should be in "Active" labor. BUT I am NOT!! I'm thankful my midwife isn't jumping towards interventions and letting my body do its thing, but I am utterly exhausted both physically and emotionally. Since its been so long of this, I feel like there is something we are missing as to why I'm not just going into labor. I really don't want to compromise my all natural, intervention free birth plan. I really want to stay at the birth center. I just don't know what else to do at this point. My husband is being amazingly encouraging. I never made it to 5cm on my own with DD1. I never even had stable or consistent contractions until I was on pitocin. I didn't have any come and go contractions. I just don't know

July 22nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Awww sweetie, you sound so frustrated.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice other than the normal walking, sex, etc but am thinking of you and really hoping things pick up on their own soon.

July 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
You do sound frustrated, and I don't blame you, I would be too. I went on like that for a while with my second and then was induced due to complications... In the end I'm glad I was induced and I still had a pain med free delivery w/ no other interventions...

Is your midwife doing scans to check the baby out and make sure all is well? I've heard that they usually like to keep tabs on the baby when you go overdue...

Keep us posted! Hope you have that baby by now or will soon!

July 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Is acupuncture an option for you? There is this great thing acupuncturists do to help move babies into the optimal position by applying heat to the outter part of your small toe.

I'd also suggest visiting a chiropractor (preferably Webster-certified) and checking out spinningbabies.com if you haven't already.

One of the easiest things you can do if you have a big baby or baby that won't position correctly, is to go swimming and fully immerse yourself up to your neck. When you get out of the pool, you should feel the baby fall into the right place. If you don't feel it, then get back in, swim around and get out again.

July 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you go swimming after you loss your plug? My concern with swimming is I know my plug is gone and my cervix is way to thin to be able to regenerate a plug if that makes sense.

I have been on spinning babies and trying diferent stuff on there and what my midwife has suggested.

I have a NST and ultrasound schedule for the 25th.

I am frustrated, but doing better. My biggest concern right now is that I'm 5+ dilated and as effaced as I possibly can be considering dilation. I have an hour drive in normal traffic conditions. Once my water was broken with my first she was born in about an hour. My labor with her was quick, but I was also induced on pitocin. I'm truly afraid if I keep walking around I'll be delivering a baby in the car.

I want a natural, intervention free birth. However, I'm wondering if it would be better to break my waters and stir things up. Baby is ready, my body is ready, it just doesn't seem to want to get to the next stage.

Oh and i've been seeing a chiro the entire pregnancy. :/

July 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you done a fear cleansing session? Could it be there is something you're just generally worried about that is keeping your body from relaxing and going into labor? Fear you won't make it to the hospital in time? Maybe sit down and mentally sort things out will help.
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.

July 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your weekend sounds just like mine before I had my son. I was so exhausted and frustrated from the BHs I was ready to throw in the towel. My DF treated me to a pedi and we took a long relaxing walk that night that actually got my mind off of everything, DTD, and my water broke that night. I think me finally relaxing was what helped (coupled with the walk and sex lol). I'm actually kind of jealous that you already know you're 5 cm so that way when it does finally start up you know you won't have long to go. I would sit back, prop your feet up, and relax. That baby is coming any hour now.

Oh, and yes you can swim after you lose your plug. The baby is still protected in it's sac. And I wouldn't have them break your waters to induce unless absolutely necessary, most of the time that leads to more harm than help. I actually do not like the fact that my water broke and initiated my labor. I hope to go into labor without my water breaking first, make it less intense.
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.
July 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I would second that - I wouldn't make the choice to have my water broken before contractions start up because once you've had your water broken you're on a countdown as far as the medical professionals are concerned. I had to have induction drugs with my son because of a prolonged rupture of membranes and I really wouldn't want it that way again. Good luck whatever you decide!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search