Hi there

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 2 Post By Augmommyx2
  • 2 Post By d_tops
  • 2 Post By daneeleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im pregnant with my first and Id been hearing about natural birth for a couple months so I decided I would give it a try. except I finally realized I kind of have to do some research and preparation for this Or Im going to have no clue whats going on and probably flip when the time comes.

Iv been searching around on the net some And reading posts on JM there is a few discussions in my DDC that really perked my interest in it lately. But I figured since this board is just for it Maybe I could get some better info if I ask in here.

So basically I really dont know that much about natural birth what its like what my options are ect.... So im looking for some good intro articals, Sites or suggestions About it what kind of techniqes I can try HOw to focuse or push or whatever it is your suposed to be doing. Also I realize that like anything there Is different levels to this so here is where I am coming from and what im looking for for if that makes A difference for what methods or research I should be looking into.

Iv decided that I am not against induction epi augmentation ect but I just rather wouldnt if I don't have to. I feel like birth will be a just generally better experience being fully aware and in control of my own body. Im also very into the Idea of being able to move around and follow my bodys cues position/pressure wise. I will be giving birth in a hospital and I have a OB not a midwife or dula (which I understand can make the "natural" thing a bit harder) I am planing to take a hospital run birthing class and infant care class with my BF who should be present at the birth to help me through things. and Once I get a little better Idea of exactly what im doing or looking for Im planing to talk it over with my OB office and make sure everything is actually doable at the Hospital.

so I guess Im just looking for the natural birth basics Something that A hospital will have no issues with that whichever OB is on call (oh yes MY ob office is the kind where whichever doc is on shift when you come in delivers for you) is not going to have a problem implementing. that a girl whos never even seen a birth before wont flip out and forget. And that a BF who I have a sneaking suspicion believes Im gonna be begging for meds Before I even get signed in will be able to support me through.

Thanks for anyone who made it through all this looking forward to hearing from you all.

July 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Hi and welcome!

You brought up some good ideas and questions. Is there a reason that you are not hiring a doula? Also, one thing I might suggest to have a successful hospital birth, is to take and out-of-hospital birthing class. The in-hospital birthing classes are often "how to be a good patient and do what we tell you do to" classes. Out of hospital classes do a better job at giving you evidence-based information, raising your awareness of your options, and preparing you better with actual coping measures.

No matter what you decide, natural birth is very possible in most environments, and I hope folks here can help you navigate your journey while you figure out what you want to do.

July 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
well the doula I haven't researched that much and also Im afraid of paying for someone I will end up hateing.

as far as outside classes im not aginst the idea at all but iv only heard of the bradley method and hypnobirthing so far and the closest classes for each of those are over $300 and 3 towns away so I was wondering if there was something else i could look into (maybe it will be available in my town) or maybe some books/tapes online videos that are really effective for learning on your own.

July 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Hi and welcome!

I'm still very much new to this. I wanted a natural birth with my son but hadn't really done any research, and ended up with an epidural because I had induction drugs after a prolonged rupture of membranes. So this time I wanted to be more structured with it and have done some self-study on Hypnobirthing using Marie Mongan's book. I would rather have done the course if I could have afforded it, but it has certainly given me confidence and some breathing and visualisation strategies I can try.

I would also have a think about more natural forms of pain relief, and explore those options: I've got a TENS machine, my partner took a massage course so is able to help in that way, and I'm hoping to spend some time in the bath or birthing pool. I'm hoping that'll get me through. There's also things like acupuncture you can look into.

Good luck hon!

July 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are books and online courses you can take for Hypnobirthing if you can't find a class close enough. I'm not sure which is better since I did not take them though. I took a birth class at my birthing center that was once a week for seven weeks and it really helped me prepare for labor there. I didn't really learn anything I didn't know but it helped me mentally get into that zone for it. I would be talking to your OB now about your plans. Also, I will say that my Doula was amazing. I didn't really know how much she would help during my labor before hand but afterwards I could have kissed her feet. Get references from other ladies who have used the doula and find out how their experience was. I've done this for my Doula twice now cause I could never say enough good things about her and would recommend her to any future mom. Also, you can meet several times before you give birth with a potential Doula. Mine would come to my house and go over birthing positions, pain relief messages, all kinds of stuff.

The biggest thing is start educating yourself now. You want everything to become second nature and not get lost in the birth. I had to have my Doula snap me back into reality several times when I was getting lost in the pain. Luckily she was able to get me to do what I needed to do. It never got frantic and I never panicked, partly because I knew what was going on and I knew it was natural and okay.
therevslady likes this.
July 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Why do you think that you may end up hating your doula? I think that a doula may be a great option, I LOVED mine. It needs to be a person that clicks with you, I talked to a lot and from all of my conversations I finally found someone that just clicked, once you are sure that you like her it is also important that you significant other likes her. She is not only there for you, she may do simple things like get you ice provide counter pressure, fan you, coach you. She is also there to be your advocate at the hospital. Your BF may be freaking out seeing you in pain or dealing with his own insecurities of becoming a dad or being in a strange place and she can help you navigate the hospital and the providers and help you to get the birth that you want. Mine would say ok the next thing that you can expect is...and get us ready. She can also talk to your BF and ease his fears, I swear my DH liked the doula as much if not more than I did, and I can tell you there is no way he would consider a birth without her.
As for the research I don't think that natural child birth is one of those things that you can say this sounds cool or like something I might do BUT I am not opposed to an epi. I don't know anyone with the "we will see what happens" attitude that has actually succeeded at natural birth. It is something that you have to set your mind to know why you are doing it have the best idea of what to expect (with out actually experiencing it). You are going to be going against the grain in the hospital it is much easier for them if you do xyz in that order and get the epi and sit in the bed and don't bother them. I had intermittent monitoring so that meant that they had to hook and unhook me, I didn't have an IV so they were watching my fluid intake, and I was moving around so they were making sure that I was ok. Plus, I had some dark moments where I thought OMG what was I thinking, why did this seem like a good idea, I want off this ride. That is when my doula was there to reassure me. Plus, there are moments when I was absolutely terrified, particularly when it came to pushing, I didn't want to push. If I had gone into the larbor thinking I am going to give this a whirl I can promise those are the moments I would've gotten the epi.
There are a ton of resources, I read lots of natural birth stories so I knew what to expect, I watched a lot of births on youtube. I also like the movie the business of being born. And the book "Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth." I didn't read them but there are also bradley method books. And I know a lot of people recommended the hypnobabies/hypnobirthing home study course.
Good Luck we are here to answer your questions.
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.
July 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
thank you guys for the info this is some pretty helpful stuff. Iv got way more to think about and look into now.

July 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCharlotte View Post
Why do you think that you may end up hating your doula? I think that a doula may be a great option, I LOVED mine. It needs to be a person that clicks with you, I talked to a lot and from all of my conversations I finally found someone that just clicked, once you are sure that you like her it is also important that you significant other likes her. She is not only there for you, she may do simple things like get you ice provide counter pressure, fan you, coach you. She is also there to be your advocate at the hospital. Your BF may be freaking out seeing you in pain or dealing with his own insecurities of becoming a dad or being in a strange place and she can help you navigate the hospital and the providers and help you to get the birth that you want. Mine would say ok the next thing that you can expect is...and get us ready. She can also talk to your BF and ease his fears, I swear my DH liked the doula as much if not more than I did, and I can tell you there is no way he would consider a birth without her.
As for the research I don't think that natural child birth is one of those things that you can say this sounds cool or like something I might do BUT I am not opposed to an epi. I don't know anyone with the "we will see what happens" attitude that has actually succeeded at natural birth. It is something that you have to set your mind to know why you are doing it have the best idea of what to expect (with out actually experiencing it). You are going to be going against the grain in the hospital it is much easier for them if you do xyz in that order and get the epi and sit in the bed and don't bother them. I had intermittent monitoring so that meant that they had to hook and unhook me, I didn't have an IV so they were watching my fluid intake, and I was moving around so they were making sure that I was ok. Plus, I had some dark moments where I thought OMG what was I thinking, why did this seem like a good idea, I want off this ride. That is when my doula was there to reassure me. Plus, there are moments when I was absolutely terrified, particularly when it came to pushing, I didn't want to push. If I had gone into the larbor thinking I am going to give this a whirl I can promise those are the moments I would've gotten the epi.
There are a ton of resources, I read lots of natural birth stories so I knew what to expect, I watched a lot of births on youtube. I also like the movie the business of being born. And the book "Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth." I didn't read them but there are also bradley method books. And I know a lot of people recommended the hypnobabies/hypnobirthing home study course.
Good Luck we are here to answer your questions.

I was actually coming back to mention this. I don't think you can go into a hospital environment with a, "well see what happens" mentality. My cousin did that and they broke her down quick. You have to fully commit to it or I don't feel it'll be successful, naturally that is.
July 24th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I wanted to clarify I am planning to have a natural birth that's why I'm asking the questions and doing the research. I just am the kind of person to have a backup and a backup backup and except that none of them may work. its more effective for me to say I would like it if ..... happens or im going to try for ....... because otherwise I have to follow my plan to a T or I will hate myself and completely give up. my head works a little funny so this is actually my way of keeping myself from quitting because I forgot to pack my blue slippers and I planned on wearing my blue slippers.

anyway Im very much still in the research stage and I found this site
Natural Birth and Baby Care.com

im still on the top three sections courses, basics, and prep but I really like it so far it seems pretty simple straight forward and informative..... although the web design leaves some to be desired It seems great to me. especially as a starter Are there any go to natural birth info sites out there. I mean Iv been clicking around in the articals section you guys have up there and found some pretty interesting stuff but I guess im trying to find A trustworthy site that cover alot of the different options well.

Also I finally managed to find A list of ongoing classes and events in my town for pregnancy birth ect but the only things available are run by the hospital or yoga classes, moms groups, and a breastfeeding thing. theres just no way Id be able to get to the other ones so it looks like ill be visiting the library/amazon alot.

the doula thing im still iffy about I did look into it a little more and there is about 8 local ones so there is some choices in that aspect. IM just not sure how I feel about it yet I just see myself being uncomfortable or getting pissed at her or something. I understand that it chould be really helpfull but Im just not shure how I will actually react to it I still kinda feel weird about anyone being there I know they have to Idk how to birth a baby but its just one of those things I feel funny about. I think I might discuses it more with the BF b4 I make a decision either way. I definatly dont want to shoot it down when it chould be the one thing I need but I also dont want to pay to make myself uncomfortable you know.

July 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
noworries
You can do a home study of the hypnobabies course.
July 25th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Dee
Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm pregnant with my first, too, and nervous about childbirth, but totally committed to doing this naturally.

A few things that have helped me feel more confident have definitely been reading about breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, and practicing both with a morning prenatal yoga routine that's getting my body ready for birth, too. (I hated yoga before I started this, but I committed to it and now it is my favorite way to start the day.)

I've also been talking to my practice about natural childbirth, and when we went on a tour of the labor/delivery floor at the hospital we asked questions about it. I want it in my chart and known among the people who are on call that this is my intention, it's important to me, and yes, I know what I'm getting myself into.

The videos on youtube and positive birth stories online have been a tremendous help to me, too. I've been focusing mostly on finding positive stories/videos about natural childbirth in hospitals, since that's where I'll be, and some of them have really boosted my confidence. No wires, free to walk around, in some cases there are water labors or deliveries, and it's great to see people advocate for the kind of birth they want in a medical setting.

And then, there's the information and encouragement here, of course!

While I don't have any personal experience with it, these are some of the things that have helped me feel less fearful and more prepared for a natural childbirth in a hospital setting. It sounds like you have a lot of resources available to you, I hope you get the information and encouragement you need!
July 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think looking around at classes and groups in your area is a great idea. My birth class was basically that for me and it really helped. I read birth stories all day long during my pregnancy and it actually ended up making things worse I think. I remember thinking during parts of my labor, well no one's birth story was like this!!! Lol. I still read them because I find them interesting but just remember that everyone's experience is unique. I don't think anything I read off the internet really helped during labor, more so helped beforehand. I think gaining the knowledge of the basics of labor is good that way you naturally know what's happening at the time without having to think about it. At that moment you don't want someone explaining something to you lol.

As far as a doula goes, I lucked into needing one. I had NO intentions of getting one and didn't see the need at the time. Everything you see on the TV makes them look unnecessary, like all they do is rub feet all day long. We hired ours as a back up originally. My DF was supposed to be out to sea on my due date and we have no family out here so obviously I didn't want to deliver by myself. It just so happened that our birthing instructor was a Doula and we approached her with the idea of being ours as a stand in incase Dave was gone. Well once we paid her and really started processing the idea, we decided to just go ahead and have her there no matter what. We had known her for a few months at this point so she was no longer a stranger to us. She was a very soft spoken woman who viewed birth in this completely different way that I couldn't comprehend at the time but we figured, "what the heck?" She ended up being the greatest Ooops ever. She became a whole new person while I was laboring and I became a completely needy person ( which I'm normally not). I don't think I spoke very much during my labor, I was very inward, but her and DFs presence was a great help. I was needy in the sense that i just needed someone to tell me what to do. I didn't want to think about laboring positions or how to help the pain, she did that for me and created a great flow for the process. I'm not trying to shove a doula down your throat by no means, just wanted you to know I had the same thought process as you beforehand. Plus, the midwives at our birth center are very hands off. They don't really labor with you until you're in transition.
July 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Dee
I woke up thinking about this thread! Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGurl View Post
so I guess Im just looking for the natural birth basics Something that A hospital will have no issues with that whichever OB is on call (oh yes MY ob office is the kind where whichever doc is on shift when you come in delivers for you) is not going to have a problem implementing.
Another thing I wanted to mention was that I'm working with a midwife practice that is similar - you get whoever is on call that day to deliver. While I'd like to continue to build a relationship with the midwife I saw the first time (sigh, I love her), I decided to make each of my appointments with different midwives to give me the chance to get to know them, and also to talk about my hopes/preferences for delivery.

So far, so good. (a) I really like everyone I've met so far, and (b) I feel like we're all on the same page. Again, this is another thing that has made me feel more confident about childbirth.

If you can, I'd recommend seeing if you can use your regularly scheduled appointments to meet with different OBs in the practice so you have a chance to get to know them, and discuss your plans for a natural childbirth with each of them. I suspect that advocating for your plan now while you're comfortable and only a little pregnant will be a lot easier than showing up and having to advocate for your plan with a stranger in a white lab coat.
July 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
thank you guys so much I felt kind of overwhelmed on how to work towards a natural birth but there is so much info and tips here for me to work off of. is it sad that im the kind of person who needs a plan of action for how to make their plan of action lol.

July 27th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
not at all! I'm the exact same kind of person.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search