Birth plan?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not planning on writing one out. I'll be delivering at my midwife's birth center and she and her apprentice, along with DH, will be the only ones present. So we'll talk a lot about what we want. And DH and I will talk about what we want in the event that we have to transfer. But I don't really feel the need to sit down and write things out...

August 1st, 2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran
I did for my first, and I have to say that the nurses were very open to it and willing to follow it. I will be doing one this time around as well - but with some modifications.

I made the plan with the thoughts in mind that it would help put together what I wanted, and get my own mind in the place in needed to be in. It also made me look into hospital practices with birth and newborn care. I was well aware that it was a "guideline" for myself and that things may not go as planned. And they did not.... BUT, this time I feel much more confident and I feel as though my birth plan may be helpful for the nurses in helping me through this time.

I am also going over it with my husband and writing "cliff notes" of sorts for my husband to help me during labor.

I would be more than happy to share my birth plan... I'm not sure how I can post it here though, if thats possible?
August 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
BabyBirdies's Avatar over the rainbow?
I'm planning on doing one when the time comes (We're still TTC).

When I looked up the hospital I will likely deliver at (it is 100% covered and one of the only baby-friendly certified hospitals in the city), they had a sample birth plan that I could fill out. The options were things that were pretty normal, and the things I would have on a newborn plan are mostly standard procedure there. So that made me feel a lot better. Given that it's on the hospital's website, I won't feel shy about filling it out and handing it over to them when the time comes. I think it will be really helpful also for getting myself, DH and our doula on the same page.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
My fertility blog: Only Infertile

NTNP since March 2012, TTC since August 2012, HSG = one blocked tube, SA = normal, 1st RE 7/11 - took a zillion tests, 2nd RE appt = Tubal issue with PCOS tendencies, possible polyp, August 2013 - possible polyp, September 2013 - new job, insurance change! January 2014 - new insurance, March 2014 - new RE appointment, then surprise BFP!

August 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
HTML Code:
I'm thinking maybe b/c the things we do aren't "the norm" that I don't want to walk in and hand over a sheet of paper that says "I'm going to be difficult!" or makes them roll their eyes or project negative feelings at me or something? I'm not quite sure what it is but something about it just feels like I'm handing over a paper that makes judging me a lot easier.
^^ This

I. hate. birthplans. I have gotten flack on this board from saying it, and I will preface it with saying this my views aren't for everyone and they apply to hospitals not places like birthcenters that are accustomed to NCB but here are my thoughts and why.
I had a natural birth in a hospital and had a surprisingly good experience. When it was over the nurses talked to us about how and why we did it our decision to hire a doula etc. Then, they shared their experience with natural child birthers and they had some horror stories. They actually thanked us for being cool! There were stories of nurses being bitten, having woman wrap legs around a nurses head during a cervical check and not letting go and women getting down right nasty. I can assure you in those situations they repeatedly asked the women if they wanted the epi and if there was ever a mention of epi they got the anesthesiologist there STAT! When you walk in and say I am having a natural birth those are the images that the nurses have, and nurses run the show not docs. Then you are walking in saying I have never done this before (or done it once, twice, 3 times) and you deal with birth every single day but in my very educated opinion, that I found on the internet, this is how it is going to go down. It just rubs the wrong way, when many times you may already be fighting an uphill battle.
I think that writing it and keeping it with you also allows you to have a written record of "failures." I said I wanted to delay cord clamping and that didn't happen (my baby got a 0 for respirations on his first apgar, they were trying to revive him not worrying about delaying cord clamping). Or I wanted to deliver upright and that didn't feel right at the time.
Last you don't know what your body is going to need/want. I was fully planning to have granola bars in the delivery room because I thought eating would be important. What I didn't know is I would be hurling uncontrollably and food was the LAST thing I wanted. I also thought I would want to walk and have intermittent monitoring. Then the taking the bands on and off was annoying and walking sucked, I was far happier sitting in a rocking chair. I think you just end up fight unnecessary battles. Since I never wanted to eat that was not important and no reason to fight the battle.
We interviewed providers and had a long list to make sure that they were on the same page. So we crossed a lot of big hurtles before we even hired the doc. The list of things we talked about in those "meet n greet" appts was LONG. Things like no IV fluids, no pitocin, no episiotomy etc. We also had a doula, in the appt with the doula my husband and I had a huge list she knew what (thought) I wanted what was most important etc. We had a lot written down for that appt and she took a ton of notes so she could refer back as things happened. But no one at the hospital ever saw those.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search