Birth plan?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Did you or are you planning to make a birth plan for your birth? Why or why not? If you did, or if you are, tell us if it helped or about the format...

July 28th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
We have made one. We used the sections from the NHS Direct one online, hoping that the hospital staff will be familiar with that format. But then we have attached a Hypnobirthing-specific one to the front which contains all our most important preferences ie. no mention of pain, no offering pain relief, no coaching to push, delayed cord clamping etc.

We have sent a copy to the hospital already and will take one with us. Not sure how useful it will be if I'm honest. I mean it's focused our minds about what we want. But I know from past experience that some NHS midwives are not really interested in reading them, they just have their own agenda. Shaun is going to push for it to be read and reiterate much of it orally. I think that will be where it's useful, in that he's really clear about what he wants and what I want and so able to speak up for it.

July 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We made one with Kailey, not that it helped at all. I'm just not big on hospitals and birthing so we had a homebirth with #2. There was no need for a birth plan there. I also had the same MW so she knew my likes and dislikes already.

I found one online and did a lot of googling about what should be on there.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't... and I guess I probably should. I'm a slacker.

July 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Did you do one last time Shannon?

July 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Did you do one last time Shannon?
No, and that was with the OB group that I loathed. The only thing I had was the no episiotomy, which they did anyway. and figured I could just verbalize our other wishes, which we did.

So this time, since intown provides like minded care anyway I haven't done anything.... but a simple checklist type deal like you've posted previously would probably be a good idea, especially since I want to take my placenta home.

July 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Something about doing a birth plan has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way and I'm trying to put my finger on it.

I'm thinking maybe b/c the things we do aren't "the norm" that I don't want to walk in and hand over a sheet of paper that says "I'm going to be difficult!" or makes them roll their eyes or project negative feelings at me or something? I'm not quite sure what it is but something about it just feels like I'm handing over a paper that makes judging me a lot easier.

July 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoconut View Post
Something about doing a birth plan has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way and I'm trying to put my finger on it.

I'm thinking maybe b/c the things we do aren't "the norm" that I don't want to walk in and hand over a sheet of paper that says "I'm going to be difficult!" or makes them roll their eyes or project negative feelings at me or something? I'm not quite sure what it is but something about it just feels like I'm handing over a paper that makes judging me a lot easier.
That's how I kind of feel. I mean, I'm not doing anything super out of the norm, but I don't want to walk in and hand them a birth plan and have them think that I'm going to be difficult.
I want to be able to explain to them that it's only what I want, and that if the baby has other ideas, we can adjust. Sometimes, birth plans have to be tossed aside for safety of mom or baby.

July 28th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't done a birth plan... my midwife is totally in love with home births, so it's just a given that I won't be offered pain med's or have an epi etc. She's already asked me a few things like do I want to be in the water when I birth, do I want bubs put on my chest straight away, do I want to BF straight away, and it's all been noted in my maternity notes. So I guess that is kinda a birth plan. I'm just planning on winging it, lol!

A med free, natural birth is the 'norm' here, so I guess if you wanted to be different, you'd have to speak up.
July 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I had one all written up and very specific, along with an easy to understand version for my hubby to have to advocate for me.
Needless to say, it did not come out of my bag lol I remember at one point I think during transition DH looked at me and goes "OH your birth plan should I get it!?" lol little bit too late lol but everything went so perfect I wouldn't have changed anything
July 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I honestly think a birth plan is GREAT to do at the beginning of your pregnancy to go over with your care provider before you get too attached. THAT is the time when you can find out if you guys are a right fit for each other. Once you find a good place of birth and supportive care provider, I think there is minimal need for a birth plan. Every once in a while, I have a client break out a birth plan with Intown. But they pretty much don't do ANYTHING without discussing it with you thoroughly. And you'll have nurses come in and ask pretty much every shift about your plans. And they are VERY accustomed to people keeping placentas. They'll spend lots of time showing you your placenta and going over it with you to make sure it's in tact then they'll offer to put it on ice for you. Most other hospitals in the area, I recommend having a birth plan, especially if you are opting out of things that might be out of the ordinary.

July 29th, 2012, 12:45 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im in the middle of makeing one for me makeing it is more for myself then the doctors its helping me sort through the options figure out what to research and what exactly it is that im actually aiming for.

July 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM
That's great to know about Intown, Que.

I was super happy that Anjili had a positive reaction when I told her I planned to encapsulate my placenta... I just lied to the OBs with my first.
therevslady likes this.

July 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking and finally posting- I am more concerned with plans for the baby after birth and am not sure how to write that and have it available. So more of "baby interventions plan" and less worried about the birth intervention part. I feel like that part will be effectively handled by DH and doula, especially my doula, but it's the baby part that I want to be emphasized.

July 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Lurking and finally posting- I am more concerned with plans for the baby after birth and am not sure how to write that and have it available. So more of "baby interventions plan" and less worried about the birth intervention part. I feel like that part will be effectively handled by DH and doula, especially my doula, but it's the baby part that I want to be emphasized.
Welcome!!! So awesome that you came out of lurkdom!!

Ask your doula about a newborn care plan. I do one with my clients, and I agree, in a hospital especially, that's one thing you really want to tack down.

Here is a worksheet that I give some clients that helps you work through your newborn care plan:
http://www.birthlore.com/class/wp-co...-Worksheet.pdf

I actually just list all the options the nurses want to know about and circle yes or no next to them. For example:
Breastfeeding Yes No
Bottle Yes No
Paci Yes No
Room in Yes No
Hep B Yes No
Eye drops Yes No

etc....

July 29th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ perfect!

July 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only had a birth plan because as part of Hypnobabies course the instructor went over our wishes and then wrote it into a nice, concise birth plan. I didn't bother giving it to my midwife because she was well aware of my wishes by the time my edd rolled around but it was nice to have in case I needed a hospital transfer. I was most concerned with what would be done to my baby after delivery so that is what we focused on.

July 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't write one with either child. I wish I had put more thought into L&D with my first. Really, since then I narrowed down what I wanted in a birth but didn't write it down. Instead, I just looked for care providers and birthing locations that would my ideal birth would be the norm, not the exception.

I just said I wanted a natural birth with my first, but I had no idea what it really meant. It was all downhill.

This baby, my providers were amazing! Everything was so quick a birth plan would have never been given out, let alone time to read. We did discuss a few things ahead of time, but overall what I wanted was standard of care.

July 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Dee
We'll make one to make sure we're both on the same page, and to make sure that each of the items come up in conversation with midwives at appointments. I'd like to have it available if we need it, and to refer to, but I don't feel like I'll need to present it at check in.
July 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have one until the last minute when I hired my doula. It wasn't so much written out for the hospital as it was for her to know my wishes incase of a hospital transfer. The birth center doesn't really need a birth plan since there aren't any intervening options unless you need a transfer. Since I only would have transferred in an emergency situation, my ultimate plan is always for my babies safety so my thoughts would have changed in that case. Luckily my doula was more prepared than me and we sat down and went over an already drafted list that she has of what I was or was not okay with in case of a hospital delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Welcome!!! So awesome that you came out of lurkdom!!

Ask your doula about a newborn care plan. I do one with my clients, and I agree, in a hospital especially, that's one thing you really want to tack down.

Here is a worksheet that I give some clients that helps you work through your newborn care plan:
http://www.birthlore.com/class/wp-co...-Worksheet.pdf

I actually just list all the options the nurses want to know about and circle yes or no next to them. For example:
Breastfeeding Yes No
Bottle Yes No
Paci Yes No
Room in Yes No
Hep B Yes No
Eye drops Yes No

etc....
This was also included in my doula's plan as well. We ended up changing our minds last minute after delivery to give him the Vitamin K shot because we thought we would be doing the circumcision in a few days. Little did we know he'd still be attached right now and needing surgery in a few months so it was pointless in the long run.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search