Who will or who did catch your baby?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By Alison79
  • 1 Post By hope71012
  • 1 Post By HippyMomOf4
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Do you have any plans on catching the baby?

At my birth a few days ago, I was able to catch my own baby. It was AMAZING. It wasn't planned, and just sort of happened. My midwife asked me previously who I wanted to catch, and I just said "I dunno, whoever is there..." I never thought I'd be in my right mind enough to catch my own baby. But when I was pushing, he came so fast that I just sort of had to! No one else was ready. I'm so glad they weren't ready too, it was such an amazing feeling to reach down and do everything on my own. I never knew how amazing that would feel, or I would have DEMANDED it, lol.

What is your previous experience? Or what are you hopes for your current pregnancy or future pregnancies?
Carwen*Angel likes this.

August 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, we had planned for me to deliver in the birth pool and DH was supposed to catch. Then I ended up hating the birth pool and pushing on my knees. When her head started to crown my midwife instructed me to put my hands down so I could catch. Then she got stuck and my midwife had to help her out a bit so she ended up catching. I'm really hoping that DH or I can catch next time.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwife 'caught' my DS and lifted him onto my chest. I'm not sure what I'll do this time around, will see how I'm feeling at the time I guess!

August 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and/or I will be catching babe. If all goes as planned that is.
August 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Shaun wants to, and I'd love him to be first to touch our baby, but it depends how things play out and what the hospital staff will allow.

With my son I had a long labour with complications and delivered in theatre by ventouse, so the delivering OB caught him.

August 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Mom caught Gus. It was so wonderful. DH prefers to be there to give me physical support while pushing and my Mom was so excited. She said it was really cool holding his head before the next contraction came to birth his body. Prior to that my midwife caught all my babies. She is also my best friend so it was very special, too.
therevslady likes this.
August 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We were in the tub so I grabbed her. I don't think we even thought about who would catch her...my midwife just said "grab your baby" and I was in shock.
therevslady likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
DH caught our last(home birth) but my other 3 were hospital births and they didn't allow anyone else to catch the baby. I think I might catch the next one myself of maybe DH and I together. Really hoping for a water birth
therevslady likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had planned on DF catching our baby but he started coming so fast and we completely got caught up in the moment and forgot. He ended up being behind me to support and our midwife caught Mason. Our next one, I hope to be more aware of what's going on and demand to get back in the water and either he or I catch the baby.
therevslady likes this.
August 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
We had planned on DF catching our baby but he started coming so fast and we completely got caught up in the moment and forgot. He ended up being behind me to support and our midwife caught Mason. Our next one, I hope to be more aware of what's going on and demand to get back in the water and either he or I catch the baby.
This is what happened with us as well. My husband really wanted to catch but it just didnt work out that way.

August 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our plan is for DH to catch her... hopefully it works out that way!

August 13th, 2012, 08:07 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm dreaming Of birthing in the tub so I want to grab him and pull him up. If I'm out of water I still want to catch him.
August 25th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
We didn't really have any plans. I would have loved to have caught the baby myself, but frankly, I couldn't really "reach" down there... and I was so focusing on pushing the baby out that I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to do that. DH would have liked to also, but we had pretty much planned for him to be behind me in the birthing tub, and he was great help holding my legs back while I pushed. Maybe with our next baby he can catch it.

Edit: Oh, and the midwife's assistant caught Brigit.

August 25th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Super Mommy
I so want to do this! My doctor has alway said she's happy for me to do it.... But I always have to work so hard to get my huge babies out that I've never managed it . I get one more chance though, so who knows!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search