Are you "crunchy"?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MissusF
  • 3 Post By NewGurl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've noticed a lot of people assume a lot of moms around here are super hippy if they opt for natural birth. Being a doula, I know this stereotype does not always fit the natural childbirth mold.

But just out of curiosity, I was wondering, are your more natural minded in other areas of your life? Meds? Homeopathy? Chiropractic care? Food? Etc....

As for myself, I think I'm sort of crunchy. I have aspirations to be crunchier than I am, but I don't always live up to my own desires, lol.

August 14th, 2012, 03:13 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely lean toward crunchy in a lot of choices we make but I'm definitely not as crunchy as they come and I don't automatically choose the crunchier alternative, lol. It's just often what works best for our family.

August 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Regular
Yes, me too! I go with the flow and do what is best for my fam. I do like to do things a more natural way before going invasive tho. Not sure if that makes someone "crunchy"

DS 8 yoa 6 yoa DD

August 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm somewhat hippie mama. I do what works best for our family. Some of what we do is very mainstream and some is more crunchy. I wore Claire in a ring sling as I bought makeup at the Chanel counter last week.
d_tops likes this.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Dee
I aspire to be more crunchy than I am, but I have to balance that with different preferences in my household. For example, I mostly buy organic produce and local meat, but I'm more likely to use white rice than quinoa (even though I think quinoa's amazing). I'm pretty happy in my hippie shoes, but I do like to rock a pair of stilettos when the occasion is right.

I feel like relative crunchiness is a little regional, too. When I visit the town where I grew up in the midwest,* I don't see a single person wearing a baby, not one. But it's increasingly common where I live in the northeast.

*That is not to say babywearing doesn't exist in the midwest, just to note that there are differences in what's common.
August 15th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I suppose I tend to lean toward "crunchiness"... (I've wondered what exactly that even meant as I've read different forums!)

We prefer to do things as naturally as we can. I work at a Food Coop where we do most of our shopping. We like to know where our food comes from and what the ingredients are. We tend to go to shops and restaurants that are local and have sustainable practices. We garden and cook at home and try to recycle as much as we can. We don't have regular tv.

But we live in a relatively crunchy town and we're pretty lax compared to a lot of our friends. We're certainly not extremists and like most people generally don't live up to our own expectations.

And if that means I get a burger from Wendy's every once in a while, so be it!!

August 16th, 2012, 09:56 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I'm crunchy at all in the sense that I don't believe my way is for everyone. Crunchy people I've met in real life believe their way is the only way, at least in my experience. I will always do natural child birth if I'm able to, I will bfed as long as I can, and I make all of Mason's food from organic veggies.

That being said, I go with the flow as well. I've had to stop bfing (pumping) a week ago because I started back on my medications I stopped when pregnant. I made it as long as I could. But, I've chosen organic formula (mentally it makes me feel better although I'm sure it's not lol) to feed him. We attempted cloth diapers but failed cause DF kept using disposables and I thought it was pointless for me to keep trying. We vaccinate and he would be circumcised by now if he didn't need to have surgery to fix something down there. His hole is too big so when they do that operation they're going to do the circumcision at the same time. I find I don't fit in with any mold really cause I go against a lot on both sides =). I want to be more crunchy but it just doesn't seem to fit into our lifestyle. My next move is to switch my diet to be crunchier.
August 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just go with what feels right for my family.

With my first, it felt right to CD, breastfeed only, all organic, cosleeping, baby wearing, etc, etc.

With #2, she is a different kid and life is just different now. Baby will get fed, baby likes to sleep in a crib, we eat food we can afford and don't make ourselves broke, we are ok with vaccines as long as baby tolerates them, etc.

I guess I just follow "go with the flow" and "common sense" style parenting I don't care what anyone else does as long as they are not abusing or neglecting their kids.

August 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I'm actually more of a traditional parent! I immunise, I formula fed my son (BFing does not come naturally to my body) and while I don't do CIO I'm quite strict discipline wise. Saying that I have aspirations to become more crunchy - more of an "earth mama".

August 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've become crunchier since having kids. We eat mainly organic/local food, I have only had NCBs, we cloth diaper, I breastfeed, I had a home birth, babywear, co-sleep/bed share, etc. But I do vaccinate (alternative schedule though), wear makeup/nice clothes, etc. So, I guess a mix.

August 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes I'm crunchy. I am AP with parenting and natural with my lifestyle. All organic foods, all organic/natural cleaners, rarely use medications (normally once every few years), etc. We do not vaccinate our children either.

I'm a birth worker too and I've heard the stereotypes for those who have a homebirth or NCB and many times it doesn't fit.
August 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Yup I'm pretty crunchy! We practice attachment parenting. Most of my friends call me a hippy hehe but I don't mind.

August 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't technically know what crunchy is but from the responses Id have to say I am not a crunchy person and am not planning on being a crunchy mom.

I am planning a natural birth
I am planning to breast feed
I am planning to use a carrier

beyond that nope nothing else on the list ill be using disposables Im vaccinating on schedule im not really into the organic or green movements. and the most hippy thing I ever owned was a black light poster (an im pretty sure thats the wrong version of hippy).

That being said I hate how those statements automatically make ppl think im going to be taking my kid to Mc Donalds every day and they will never see a tree except on their Xbox. I grew up on over 30 acres raised sheep and turkeys and if I didnt live in apartments for the last 4 years Id still have a garden.

August 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
I wish I could be "crunchier" then I am.
As soon as we have our own little farm, Ill be raising my own meat and growing as much of our food as I can.
Id like to AP as much as possible and prefer natural products to their chemical counterparts.
Im also trying to control my autoimmune diseases with diet and lifestyle changes, so I dont have to rely on medications.
I see a chiro and go to massage therapy. Ive been to a naturalpathic doctor before and am not apposed to seeing one again.
Id love to make more of mine and baby's (once shes here) clothing and even make our own soap/shampoo.

August 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I don't think I'm very crunchy, but when I think of things that are traditionally on the crunchy side, I guess I am a little. We're planning on cloth diapering, when we own our own home I'll have a large veggie garden, I hardly ever buy clothes that don't come second hand, and I try to buy a lot of organic stuff. I don't think I'm extreme about anything, though.
August 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't label my husband and I as "crunchy" necessarily, but many choices we make/have made tend to be pretty "natural". And then other decisions are definitely NOT! So, both yes and no, I guess.

We are using cloth diapers for the first time with baby #3 but use disposables at night because I am lazy (and I think he is more comfy this way); we homeschool and always have (dd is 12, ds is 8); none of our babies have ever had formula because BFing was/is monumentally important to me; we fellowship and worship the Lord wherever we are, not in a church building; I am a vegetarian but all the rest in my family are not (except baby, of course); I make baby's baby food - no store bought stuff; we did choose to circumcise our boys and also vaccinate....hmm, can't think of anything else!

Anyway, kinda crunchy, kinda not. Haha
August 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Depends on who you ask!

Locally...yep...I am a darn tree hugger.

On this website...no way...I am bordering on traditional! Lol.

We live in a VERY non-crunchy area. Folks barely recycle, much less use cloth diapers, family cloth, reusable tampons, buy free-range, organic stuff, don't circ, don't vax, etc, etc. So if you chatted with the locals, they might be able to point me out by name (if not, at least: The chick who has her 3-year-old rear facing and a huge baby strapped to her back). But we DO vaccinate on schedule, my kids have sugar AND they watch TV, we drive a gas-guzzler, and I can't keep a garden alive to save my life.

So thus is us. I think I would fall smack in the center on the crunchy/non-crunchy spectrum. But it would depend who you talked to whether they deemed me crunchy or chewy.
August 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
Depends on who you ask!

Locally...yep...I am a darn tree hugger.

On this website...no way...I am bordering on traditional! Lol.

We live in a VERY non-crunchy area. Folks barely recycle, much less use cloth diapers, family cloth, reusable tampons, buy free-range, organic stuff, don't circ, don't vax, etc, etc. So if you chatted with the locals, they might be able to point me out by name (if not, at least: The chick who has her 3-year-old rear facing and a huge baby strapped to her back). But we DO vaccinate on schedule, my kids have sugar AND they watch TV, we drive a gas-guzzler, and I can't keep a garden alive to save my life.

So thus is us. I think I would fall smack in the center on the crunchy/non-crunchy spectrum. But it would depend who you talked to whether they deemed me crunchy or chewy.

Haha! Perfect response! My family thinks Cali has gotten to me and I've morphed into a hippy but I'm sooo far from it compared to other ladies on here. It's not that I don't want to be more natural I just don't have the time to do it all. I'm ATTEMPTING another garden soon but like all the others it will probably die.
August 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM
noworries
I'm somewhat crunchy...aspire to be much more crunchy. My DH is not crunchy at all so we just have to compromise and do what works for us sometimes. Besides natural birth, I do attachment parenting, buy some organic/free range, etc. We do vax (something my DH was not going to give in on), and use disposable diapers (again, my DH was 100% against cloth).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search