Hypnobabies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Regular
Class vs. Home Study course

Ideally, I would love to be able to take the class but it is $300 but the HSC is half that. I don't know if I could bring myself to spend that much on something I could do at home.

Thoughts?

What have you done and what was your experience?

DS 8 yoa 6 yoa DD

August 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I think it all depends on your learning style. Personally, classrooms are very distracting for me. I prefer self learning in many aspects of education, so when it came to childbirth education, self learning was a no-brainer for me. But some people really do learn better in a classroom and love having access to a teacher to answer questions and get support and guidance. I know one other benefit to classroom learning is that some teachers offer extras, like meet the doula day when you can meet and talk to a handful of doulas. Some teachers will have extra videos and teaching materials that wouldn't be offered in the self study (I know one teacher around here who has actual birth equipment for you to see and handle (epidural needle, internal monitors, water breaking hook, monitors, etc). Also, sometimes a teacher is useful because they are a great resource to help you get the best birth that you desire in your area: they are familiar with chiro's, doula's, OB's and midwives and can help direct you to have a birth most like what you desire. Personally, I didn't need any of that extra guidance or support, but it all really depends on the options available in your area and how plugged in you are.

August 14th, 2012, 05:49 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive done the home study course both pregnancies and its been great.

August 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did the course and absolutely loved it. Hypnobabies isn't very popular around here so our instructor does the classes individually at your house. She's been a childbirth educator for over 30 years so there is a lot more offered in her class than what you would get through a home study. She only charges $200 which is ridiculously low since the home study is $150 (I think). I agree with Que that it depends mostly on your learning style. Hypnobabies also requires a big time commitment and you have to practice diligently. If you are a procrastinator or not very self motivated to do stuff like that (like me ) it may be worth the extra money to take the class.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Dee
We're signed up for a class, and I'm looking forward to it because I like the opportunity to practice with someone who can offer corrective advice. (A friend was told, hours and hours into her labor that she was "pushing wrong," which has me a little skiddish. I think that was poor bedside manner, but you know... scare stories.)

So for me, the course is worth the extra peace of mind, especially since this is our first. I suspect I'd be happy with a home study for future deliveries.

I contacted our health insurance company, and they reimburse for childbirth education (and for rental of a hospital-grade breast pump, as it happens!), so if you have insurance, it's worth checking. Even if you checked before, some insurances have recently upgraded their preventive care benefits.
August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
The classroom course is almost $400 here in my parts.
I am taking that route. Its pricey, but I think the "extras" the classroom will offer will be helpful.
I dont know how much the self study course is.

September 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did the home study course for my first and it went perfectly. I'm doing it again now for number 2. I like having control of the studying and it's easy to do from home.
September 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did the home study course which is 90% listening to hypnosis. I think it worked too well lol. I didn't know i was having contractions until I was 9cm. Midwife kept telling me, "you ARE having contractions." i'm going to do it again for this baby. I hope that i can stay in hypnosis while pushing this time. That was hard for me last time.

September 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I just started listening to the first disc in prep for my class... And already am struggling.
My brain doesn't turn off enough for me to completely relax and follow the the script.
It's gonna a tricky thing to learn.

September 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
[QUOTE=Dhartanya;26499862]I just started listening to the first disc in prep for my class... And already am struggling.
My brain doesn't turn off enough for me to completely relax and follow the the script.
It's gonna a tricky thing to learn.[/]

I listened to them as I fell asleep. I can tell you that I listened to them almost everyday for three month and I probably only stayed awake half a dozen times. They still work. I hated actually being awake and actively listing to the cds. It made me fell like I had restless leg syndrom.

September 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhartanya View Post
I just started listening to the first disc in prep for my class... And already am struggling.
It's gonna a tricky thing to learn.
I struggled in the first class too. Hypnosis really is a learned skill and it takes practice and dedication. By the end of the course I was a pro and I was able to effectively use my Hypnosis through my entire labor. Don't be worried!

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

September 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusF View Post
I struggled in the first class too. Hypnosis really is a learned skill and it takes practice and dedication. By the end of the course I was a pro and I was able to effectively use my Hypnosis through my entire labor. Don't be worried!
I'm hoping I can learn the skill practice makes perfect!
(especially for the almost $400 class price)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search