To Vax or not?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Just to find out how diverse a group we have here...
Yes 11 33.33%
No 11 33.33%
Selectively 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I thought it would be fun, not to start debates, but to find out how diverse a group we have here. Give your reasons why too...

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We don't vax. Ani almost died from her 4 month shots.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
we selectively vax because so many of them are not necessary, have harmful preservatives, or give my kids bad reactions.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 20th, 2006, 08:22 AM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
Great post!

We are still doing research... I guess I can't vote b/c I am still undecided.

<div align="center"></div>
July 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
this is a good one.. and i have been thinking about it sooo much lately.

but my homeopath friend said to me.. go with your intuition. in that case, i am going with selective delayed vaccination.

there are soo many unnessecary ones, and to give them soo early seems starnge to me. they have soo many weird additives in them not to mention human and animal embryo, mecury and other undesirable stuff. they really scare me.

i am choosing homeopathic vaccinations for many of them, but delayed and selective for them too.

it is such a hard choice. i have had soo much pressure to just go ahead and do them all, but that goes against my motherly instincts.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. big topic!
July 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We vaxed our first son and stopped before his 5 year old shots. A flu shot set off a series of reactions that led to a chronic health condition he will have for life.

We did the first set on our second DS and then I pulled on my titanium panties and got the guts to use my research so that I could raise my child with my beliefs and instincts. So happy now.

July 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I"m personally going to vaccinate Gaby.. i worked for a while in pre-schools and saw too many little kids getting sick with horrible illnesses, to not vax...

July 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
our 6 yr old is vaccine injured from the mercury in the DTaP (P) shot. SHe has an "unspecified seizure disorder" that started after her second round, and ehr ped told me to not ever give her the pertussis vax again. We delayed till 9 months and were being very selective, and yet she was harmed. I am trying to do what I can to lobby for safter vaccine ingredients so that fewer children are harmed.

Our other two children are unvaxed. We will probably give a few on toward puberty (like rubella), and may get Tetanus. I voted unvaxed.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

July 21st, 2006, 02:28 AM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
no vax. i hated doing it with my first, but I was just a kid myself and didn't know i had a choice. I won''t be getting her any more. this time around, i listened to my gut and Just Said No. She's too young now, but when she is a little bit older, i will be hunting for pox parties and such. . .
July 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we are researching it ALOT right now. my DH wants to know what to do when they go to school. you have to have vax's to enter kindergarten and regular school, you have to have a list of their shots...

July 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
You don't need vaxes to go to school. Every state has exemptions. All states have medical, all but WV and I think MS have religious, and various ones also have philosophical.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With ds we got all but the flu and chicken pox. I couldn't justify the risks on the chicken pox one...so we opted out. We tried asking his ped about selectively or delaying the rest right after he was born, but they treated us like we were trying to kill our kid and we didn't know we had options. This time we're going to take it slow and do some research.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 21st, 2006, 09:18 PM
chlodoll
We are vaxing Isaiah and I will with future babies. We wont get flu shots though and I am really considering not doing the chicken pox vaccine. That one irks me out. We will be doing travelling to Africa and the Middle East and I wouldnt feel comfortable going to those countries not vaxed.
July 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are not vaxing. If we do it will be when DD is MUCH older like 5 or 6. There are many reasons we don't want to do that, but a big one is a disease I have that can be passed to my kids has the result of a very low immune system. My entire family has it and my mom vaxed the first 4 kids and we were ALWAYS sick. She decided to try not vaxing the remaining 6 kids and guess what? Their health is SO much better. They get sick here and there because again we have lower immune systems, but it is not near what it was for the other 4 of us.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't vax. I am reading a book right now called "Just a little Prick" by Hillary Butler. It is the best and most informative nvaccine book I haver read yet. I highly suggest it.
July 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going to selectively vaccinate, but I haven't figured out what and when. I am leaning towards 2 years old for a starting age. I know the big thing for giving birth to this baby is to fight them off with that HepB shot.... unless I have HepB (don't see how I could have it), this baby won't be getting that and this hospital is known for giving the shot without asking. Why a newborn needs a vaccine for a disease transmitted by body fluids, sex, and shared needles I just can't imagine. (unless the mom has it, just test!)
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 24th, 2006, 10:32 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
after researching the pros and cons of immunizations we decided that it was best for our ds not to be given vaccinations at his young age. This decision came after a couple rounds of shots. Something inside me just felt it wasnt right. I didnt give it any thought while I was pregnant and wished I had. He had bowel problems after his second round that the doctor refused to believe was from the vaccination since it wasnt a side affect listed. I disagree and feel that it was caused by the vaccinations. He could not poop on his own and would go months before actually having a bowel movement. I will never go through that again.
If you are undecided about what to do, I suggest while you are doing your research to also ask your ped. for the product inserts. The ones containing the ingredients for the vaccinations they use so that you can better inform yourself and make a decision. Read through it very carefully especially the ingredients. Thats what I did as well as read book after book.
The number one thing if you do decide to not vaccinate is prepare yourself for the worst case scenerios. What will you do if your child does contract a disease, how do you prevent those disease? etc....Once you are fully informed and prepared to deal with everything (including the harsh reactions from people and the medical staff) then you will have the confidence you need to stand by your choice.
I still do research on this topic with an open mind and always will! My child's health is very important to me and I just wont make a choice on their behalf without always checking into it and weighing the pros and cons.
The main issue I feel is a problem for us right now is that I dont feel safe sending him to Preschool. Most of the kids at preschools and day care centers receive vaccinations. Kids are contagious when they receive live vaccinations. Those that havent been vaccinated are at risk for getting the strain they are vaccinated from. It strikes me funny that its not the ones that HAVENT been vaccinated that pose a threat, its the ones that HAVE been vaccinated. Yet, with that being said...most places will give you a hard time with accepting your non vaccinated child. The best thing to do in that case is to remind them of the laws and take in an Exemption form that exempts them from the vaccinations you list. Really its just a piece of paper they need to have on file whether its an immunization record or an exempt form. The state requires it.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013

July 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM
irishxrose
Joshua is already vax'd, and we will continue to vax our future children. My friend works in a daycare and she's seen too many kids get illnesses that could have been prevented by a vaccine. I don't want to take a chance with my son, or any other children we may have. We also are going to be doing a bunch of traveling in the next few years with my family, and we're going to be going out of the country, so again, we would like him to be vax'd just in case. We are considering not getting the chicken pox vaccine though. My fiance has a natural immunity to it, so we're hoping Joshua got that as well.
July 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
My vaccinated children go to school with and play with other children who are not vaccinated so I will vaccinate this baby on the recommended schedule. My thirdborn I waited until just before his sibs began school, he was about 18 months then. Before that my kids only had contact with family and close friends. I had whooping cough as a baby and my mothers best friend, my godmother, had polio, I would not want to see those come back with my kids. I would rather not have to vaccinate, but better safe than sorry.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search