Episiotomy or Tear

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Episiotomy vs. Tearing
tear 30 83.33%
episiotomy 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2006, 06:06 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Just to find out how diverse our group is... thought this would be fun. Post your reasons for your answer too!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 20th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Tear. Definitely tear.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I don't know! I had a small epi with ds...I'm so afraid to tear uncontrollably...but I think I would have escaped an epi if I had pushed slower...stupid doctor...I didn't know any better. I'm going to try pushing MUCH slower (I pushed like 5 times maybe with ds) this time to avoid either.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Of course, I'd really rather neither...

BUT I have voted for episiotomy, because when my mum was having my brother, she tore, and it was a big tear, and she said the pain of the stitches at the end of her labour reduced her to tears, and it took so long to do. I suppose with an episiotomy it is a calculated snip, damage minimised as much as possible. So yeah, because of the horror story, episiotomy.

July 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If anyone comes near me with scissors I would kick the heck out of them! That is abuse in my opinion unless for the very few times one would need one. And I mean very few like almost never. If I tear I tear to a certain point and tear because I was meant to tear and it doesn't involve all that muslce and tissue that an episiotomy would. And the research shows us that tears are better. And heck if I have an episiotomy then I will also suffer a tear right along with that episiotomy. Talk about the *best* of both worlds! OUCH!

July 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an episotomy with DS (he was compound presentation) and it took all 6 weeks to feel normal again. DD was a small tear and I was doing housework about 4 days PP.

July 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tear, you dont always need stitches and it heals better/faster

July 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
tear

unless Im starting to tear anterior (up), then I want a snip. Dont want to tear anterior!!!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

July 21st, 2006, 01:24 AM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
tear! I tore with both girls, but it healed and i've had no problems. my mom had 3 epi's and has had painful sex ever since.
July 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wold prefer to tear. Actually with my last three I didn;t need any stitches at all and with my first I only needed a few 2 or 3. tearing is much beeter tahn episitomy. I remember reading a thread from Emomom that desrcibed the reasoning perfect. If you take a bed sheet and and pull and try and rip it, it would be very difficult but if you take taht saem bed sheet and put a little cut in it and then try tearing it, you will find it much easier to tear. Same with your perinium. Also tears heal much easier.
July 23rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I definetly would much prefer an epesiotimy than a tear. I've had three epesiotimy's, and the first one was a bit uncomfortable after the birth, the other 2 were no big deal. My fourth was a 4 pounder, and the only thing good about that is that I felt much better "down there" afterwards then after my big whopper babies.

I had a tear this last time, and it felt horrible afterwards for quite a while, and did not heal up nice. It was a huge tear, and I would have much preferred to have had an episiotomy that could have been stitched up neatly.
July 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Definitely a tear for a few reasons, the biggest being a tear might simply not happen, but an episotomy will certainly happen (it makes sense in my head!)

Tear is through skin, episiotomy is through muscle and tissue. Youch!

I tore some with my son. I'm positive it wouldnt' have happened if I could have delivered squatting like I'd planned and if the doctor on call hadn't yanked both his shoulders out at the same time after his head delivered. They have to save every second they can, ya know

~Nay
July 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
chlodoll
Thankfully I havent experienced either so I dont really know! I know I would prefer not to be cut with anything!
July 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM
irishxrose
I chose episiotomy... I tore and had an episiotomy with Joshua, and the epi healed up in two weeks. The tear took nearly six weeks to heal.... so my experience is biased, but after that I would much prefer an epi. It's controlled... and a tear could go all over the place.
July 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I tore with each, but it was no big deal.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I hear, tearing heals so much more quickly. I needed an episiotomy because Liliana wouldn't fit. They said they needed to cut me and then vacuum her out. And the pain has been pretty intense.
July 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had to have an episiotomy. Hailey's heart rate was dropping each time I pushed, it was an episiotomy/vaccum or c-sec. And it wasn't as horrible as I had imagined. I was walking around, etc fine before we left the hospital. The only scary part was being afriad of messing up the stitches. I've heard people say the DR stitched them up to much creating painful sex, but that didn't prove true for us.

I don't know, which i'd prefer though. Tearing sounds more natural, but if i'm in the situation again, i'll gladly have one.
July 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
An episiotomy is not allowed for me. If I tear, so be it.
July 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
CJMOM209
Before my first child, I would have said tear. But I had a horrible tear after having my son. They thought that they wouldn't have to do an episiotomy, but his shoulders ended up tearing both the outside and inside of me. Getting the stiches put in down there was the most painful part of my delivery. The doctors told me it was the worst tear they had seen in awhile. I ended up getting a bad infection and skin started to overlap where it shouldn't and it had to be burned off, so next time I really don't know if I will have the doctor due an epi or not! I'm really about the natural process during childbirth, but why does everything have to hurt like h*ll?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search