Interventions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Is there a time and a place when you might opt for an epidural, narcotics, pitocin, episiotomy, breaking water, etc?

What factors help you make those judgement calls?

Do you consider scientific research at all when deciding when to use interventions? Where do you get your information from and what sources do you trust?

August 19th, 2012, 08:00 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yep...there are times and places I would opt for some of those things. In fact, I did already. My second child was not a NCB...because his course of labor events was just different than I expected. And I have learned not to regret it.

I think that maternal desires is a big factor. Because, frankly, I think that sometimes labor isn't what we expected (even if we did it ten times already, they are all different) and I think we have the right to change our mind, even if it wasn't something we thought we would do. Sometimes it is just the thing to help us on our way. I think the "medical model" is a factor for those who are not eligible for home or BC births. There is always the balance of what things you want and want to avoid, versus what the doctors are okay with and how to meet in the middle so everyone is pretty happy. Not saying someone should compromise their wishes to make a doctor happy...but sometimes it is not a bad thing to wheel and deal. And of course, the baby is the top factor. If something isn't suiting him/her...naturally things might have to change.

I did consider scientific research. Most of it from the reading I did before childbirth. And some of it coming from my doula at the time. I was glad she was there to help me remember what I wanted and why. Because at times, it was not easy to recall why I didn't want to be knocked out entirely (kidding, of course). I trust ny sources that are backed up by science and several studies, all done with large samples. I just read whether it seems plausible to me as well. I am more likely to continue looking into something if it had a logical presentation and is something I can easily conceptualize.
daneeleigh and therevslady like this.
August 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not against interventions if there is a valid medical reason. I'm not comfortable with, "oh you are overdue so we have to induce" without ever doing a NST or biophysical profile to check on baby and have evidence to back up v. general scare tactics (ya, I know the placenta can decrease in function...but prove it). Or any of the number of things doctors may say (big baby, breech, etc).

As far as researching and such, I've talked to different OB's, midwives, other moms who have BTDT (some doulas or doulas in training), internet, etc. After I had my first, my experience with her really prompted a lot of research and questioning.

Interventions can certainly save some babies and moms life, so certainly they are not "bad". I just feel like they are overused in many cases.

August 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I did have interventions with my son's labour. I was induced on syntocinon, because I was overdue already and my waters had broken naturally but there had been no progress contractions-wise for 48 hours after. I don't recall being given a choice, but being told they couldn't keep leaving it with my waters broken, and I was a first-time mom and to be honest didn't know any better. The pain of the induced contractions, sadly, led to an epidural - I hadn't wanted to have any pain meds but after 8 hours of INTENSE contractions about 3-4 minutes apart I couldn't go on. I think the epi slowed everything down even more, and I was so tired when I got to the pushing stage I also ended up with an episiotomy and ventouse. They didn't even ask me at that stage. There was no choice put to me. They just did it, they said they had to because baby was in danger.

I so want to avoid these interventions this time, but I am losing faith. I am 41+3 according to their dates and they're not happy to let me go longer than 42. I have an appt tomorrow and they will be talking induction on Thursday or Friday. I made the decision to have a membrane sweep last Monday hoping to bring something on more naturally, and will have another one tomorrow - simply because it's better than the alternative if it works - I have been trying natural induction methods such as EPO, sex, walking and raspberry leaf tea as well. I have at least managed to argue for them to use a new pessary they have rather than the syntocinon drip. If it comes to that, they will have a major argument on their hands because I know how it goes on synto and frankly would feel safer with a section. But I don't even want the pessary really because once they're officially "inducing" me, I can no longer have the birthing pool for pain relief, and I was counting on it. :*(

Something that's really started to bother me is that while they have me at 42 weeks on Thursday, that's going off their dating scan due date. Originally, my due date was calculated as August 13 going off my LMP, which I knew to the day as had been actively TTC and had had a regular cycle with a regular pattern of ovulation on day 13 of each cycle. Which would put me at 42 weeks NEXT Monday. I'm not sure whether to ask them to consider to leave me until that day, maybe just have me in Thursday/Friday for an NST. I know they wouldn't be keen to do this and not sure how to back up my arguments. WWYD?

Last edited by Carwen*Angel; August 19th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
August 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
How far along were you when you had your dating scan?

August 20th, 2012, 04:52 AM
12 weeks exactly according to my original due date.

August 20th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hmmm... 8-9 weeks would have been ideal, so you have that on your side. You might get lucky with just trying to put off induction for "just one more day" every time they bring it up....

August 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Huh not a chance. Half the problem is, you don't see the same person every time you go and some are more hot on "hospital policy" than others. I was told today I should be coming in for induction TOMORROW, after I've already been promised by MY consultant and the midwife I saw last week that I can go to 42 weeks. We managed to argue for Thursday, but there was no way they were letting us put it back anymore. They wanted me in at term plus 12 really to give the pessary they're gonna try first a chance to work (it can take a couple of days) because their aim (which nobody said to me before today) is to DELIVER by term plus 14. Anyway I posted in full about the appt and posted the link here for anyone who wanted to read. Thanks for your advice, Que.

August 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely not against any intervention if the overall safety of my baby and myself are at risk. I'm not sure who wouldn't do that although I'm sure someone out there thinks that modern medicine has no place in anything. I was blessed that my water breaking signaled my labor to kick in and kick in hard. I called my midwife at midnight when it happened and she said to come in at noon since nothing would probably happen. I had him at 1138am, obviously we didn't make it to noon lol.

I won't do an intervention just because the doctor isn't comfortable. I'm educated enough in what's going on to know when a doctor is seriously concerned about our health versus just convenient for them. I think that's the key that leads to so many inductions. Women are just not educated enough, don't care enough, or a mix of both. Luckily for me I only see midwives and they have the same thought process as me, let nature takes it course unless absolutely necessary. I'm not going to lie, if I had to be given pitocin or any induction medication other than cervadil I'd probably end up with an epidural. I can't imagine having stronger contractions then your body is made for. That's just me though. If I have to be given a drug then I've already gone against everything I believe in and I might as well get the epi. I will say it bugs me when women say their epi didn't work so they had a natural delivery. No you didn't, the drug was still in your body. Having a natural delivery isn't all able the pain aspect, it's also about not introducing medications into your body and ultimately into your baby. Whether you feel the epi or not, that medication is in there.
August 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only for a real medical reason.

I get my information from my medical text books that I have to have for my certifications and continuing ed (I'm a birth professional).
August 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Medical necessity would be the reason I would choose to have interventions, when the risk to baby or myself is greater without than with the procedure. If there are naturally no problems, then I don't need anything intervening on the birth. If something occurs before or during birth, I am certainly willing to override my desires and do what's best and safest for baby and me.

I tend to find information about procedures and birth online, but do find information in books as well. I also expect my midwife to know what is the best course of action and when something isn't going well, which is why I hire a professional birth attendant.

August 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with the rest of you -

I'm glad that the medical stuff is there if we NEED it. But I'm not willing to do any of it just because, or for convenience, or any other silly, unnecessary reason. I trust my midwife. And I've read a ton and talked to a lot of BTDT moms on both sides of it and I have a mother that is an RN that is freaked out about my not delivering at a hospital. But frankly I haven't read a single thing to dissuade me from the idea that any intervention in a normal, uncomplicated birth is a bad idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search