New

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM
MommaToTandD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to MommaToTandD
Hey All,

My name is Linli, and I'm a member of the Nov. DDC.

I'm pregnant with my first bundle and DH and I are absolutley thrilled by all the blessings and experiences so far.

Our oppinions differ as to birth, he doesn't think that there is any reason to *not* want an epi, but I have other thoughts. Basically I believe that a woman's body is designed to deliver a child, and woman have been doing it for years and years and years. Each situation demands specific care, but I don't see a reason why I can't deliver naturally (to me that means no pain medication, and no episiotomy).

I will be delivering in a hospital, and I'm comfortable with that. I do however hope and pray that the nurses/staff there will allow me the freedom to move around and change positions as I see necessary during the labour process. I hope to be able to labour mostly at home so that I can be as relaxed as possible and just let nature run its course. This being my first, I'm not anticipating the experience to be too quick.

Looking forward to learning from you all, and gaining more information as I progress. So far though, Birthing From Within has been my reading material, and has opened my eyes to a lot. . .I'm hoping the doula birthing classes next month will answer some of my questions.

Linli

<div align="center">Wife to Warren and Mommy to Terri (Nov. 3/06) and Donovan (Dec. 11/08)</div>
July 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hello Linli!!

a big congrats to you and your hubby... it is sooo exciting~ we just had our first child in April, and i loved the whole pregnancy experience, and i loved the birth!!

sounds like you are on the right path to have a really great labour. i am glad to hear that you are reading some great books (i really liked birthing from within~ good imagery) and that you feel confident in your baod as a woman! all those things are key tool in having the type of birth you wish to have

you are right to want to labour as much at home as you can. it can be very distracting, and tempting for intervention when you are in the hospital. be firm with the medical support staff their in your desire to beable to labour in any position that you want. and get your husband to help you and be your voice when perhaps you are too tired or focused to have one.

best of luck to you anyways.. and i look forward to hearing stories along the way, and of course your beautiful birth story at the end of it all. or shall i say the beggining?!?!?!

and oh ya.. just because it is your first doesnt mean it cant be a short ordeal. i birthed Lily in under 4 hours. i attribute it to staying fit during pregancy, visualizing the birth i wanted, and empowering myself with amazing knowledge. really explore your own body, and bring up EVERY fear that you may have. during labour is not the time to decide that you are unsure or scared. be confident and excited!! it is an AMAZING trip~
July 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
chiming in with heather-- it won't necessarily be long. a lot of women on this board have had quick labours, myself included. my first was under 2.5 hours, and my second was... (4.5 in early labour, and half an hour in hard labour)... although I couldn't have been more UNrelaxed... but yes, relaxing and believing in yourself does seem to help things along. best of luck in achieving your dream birth.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Hi Linli - congrats and welcome! Here is a perfect birth that I attended just on Monday -

First baby, first pregnancy. Her family history (mother and grandmothers) is going early (into labor) and having around 10 hour labors.

On Monday her water broke at 1pm. There was light meconium in it. She was 3 days 'early'. Contractions started at 5:30. They called me to their house at 9:30 and we left for the hospital at 11:00. We were at the hospital by 11:15 and she was having contractions every 3 minutes. She experienced light transition while at home and felt pushy throughout our ride to the hospital and on her (long) walk up to L&D. When they checked her around 11:30, she was 7cm 0 station. At 11:45, she was 8cm and +1 station... At 12:15 she was 9cm and +2 station... with an anterior lip presenting itself. By the time her midwife got to the hospital (she was flooded into her driveway as this was all in the midst of a severe thunderstorm) at 12:30, her body was pushing for her and we had her in the asymetrical position. She moved onto all fours and we found her to be moving down a posterior babe. Baby was born posterior with light meconium at 1:14am. 12 hours since her water broke and 8 hours of actual labor.

Find a hospital and birth team that will advocate for you and help you to achieve your goals. Ask dh to read up on epidurals and the dangers associated with them. Write a birthplan and present it EARLY to your birthteam to make sure you are on the same page. You can have a great birth in a hospital, and I believe you, like the women here have done, can do it.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh you can so do it! Don't doubt yourself in the least!

July 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI welcome to the board. You will find many reasons to give to your husband about why you don't need to risk an epi.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search