thoughts on focuseing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atlantamomofthree

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2012, 05:56 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so Im having difficulty deciding how to focus during labor I suppose I could try 1 and switch if its just not cutting it for me but Id like input.

the options im choosing between

Comfort focus- focusing on a person place or thing of comfort letting fear and "pain" wash away from you and your source of comfort be its replacement.

Knowledge focus- having a working knowledge of all that will occur and reading your body's Q's to figure what stage you are at then using that knowledge to approach the birth as a processes which you can handle/control/understand.

Marine focus- the no pain no gain get over it because you know its worth it approach.

I feel like I have everything necessary for all of these I'm just not sure which Will be effective when the time comes. I wanted to have one chosen so I could go ahead and be practicing it. They are slightly contradictory so I didn't want other things in there clouding my head if possible.

so please give me your thoughts experiences anything helpful.

August 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I had my third baby last September, but he was my first natural childbirth (my older two I had epi's and pain meds-BOO! ).

I went with the Knowledge Approach with my natural little guy! I read as much as I could about WHAT is happening as the cervix dilates, the baby descends, etc. and it was VERY helpful! In the last few weeks before the birth I had drawings of a baby in the birth canal and the changes the cervix makes (I had photocopied them from a book) on my refrigerator to keep a clear picture in my head at all times what would be happening, so I could visualize it when it was happening.

I read a book about the Bradley Method (which I did not go for completely because my hubby is more the cheer-from-the-sidelines kinda guy...) but I learned a lot from that book! For example, there are 3 stages of emotions during birth. They call them "signposts" in the book. The first is that you are super happy that "today is the day!" Second is you are serious and focused on the contractions. Third is "I can't do this!!!" (even though you ARE and HAVE BEEN doing it ). Once you get to that third signpost you feel like there's no way to continue but the AWESOME news, is that once you get to that point, you are almost done! I was very aware of the three stages during my son's birth, and when I began thinking "I can't do this", I was able to remember (from drilling and drilling myself weeks beforehand) that it meant I was almost done. I may have lost it had I NOT known that at the time! And sure enough, I was pushing within a few minutes.

So, for me, knowledge worked wonders! It's what I plan on doing if we have another.
therevslady likes this.
August 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I just focused on getting through each contraction at a time. It almost became an inward game. I either closed my eyes and focused on my breathing or the sounds I was making or I stared at an object in the room and just breathed and focused on getting through it. I was very inward during labor. My own thoughts were just rolling through my head and I think I conversed with my self the whole time lol. I never really heard anyone or anything around me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search