Anybody skip ultrasounds?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Also, you will likely meet opposition for taking an active stance in your pregnancy. Obstetricians are surgeons who are trained to view you and your pregnancy as a host of potential problems rather than a natural life process. When you disrupt their routine, they will often use scare tactics and try to bully you into doing things you don't want to do. It's easier and less risky for them to have totally compliant, unquestioning, non-decision-making patients. And this is what a lot of them expect out of their patients. Some doctors are very arrogant and don't like to be questioned. Arm yourself with knowledge and present them with the facts when doctors do not honor and accept your decisions. Do not EVER allow a doctor to talk you into something that you don't want until you have been able to think it over and do your own research. Just by asking this single question that you have posted, you have taken the right step in taking charge of your rights and the rights of your baby. If you are ever unsure of anything, tell your doctor that you would like to think it over and educate yourself first, and ask to hold off until the next visit. They cannot make you do anything. The first doctor that I saw after I became pregnant removed me from his practice because I didn't want an ultrasound at my very first visit. He was able to tell me by doing a pelvic exam that I was around 9 weeks (which I already knew to be true.) The u/s was only to confirm this. If he was able to tell me how far along I was without an u/s, then why on earth should he do one? It was unnecessary. The other reason for removing me was that I "refused" to leave a urine sample on my second visit. I didn't refuse, I merely questioned why they were doing it. At my first visit they sent my sample to the lab to get a urine culture (which is done to check for a urinary tract infection) without telling me. The bill was $72. As my financial situation quite frankly sucks, and I have not yet been approved for Medicaid, I was pretty pissed about this. I had no symptoms whatsoever of a UTI, so this test was unnecessary. Now, if I do have symptoms later on and actually NEED a urine culture, there's another $72 that I will have to fork out. After I made sure that the next sample was only to test my proteins, I obliged and left a sample. This just goes to show how difficult doctors can be. Hopefully my next doctor will not be like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search