Big Babies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By kenzietea
  • 1 Post By tryinfor5
  • 2 Post By LadyCoconut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Anyone have a big baby naturally? I just had an ultrasound today (my actual due date is 9/6) and baby is weighing in at 9lbs 2oz... She said rarely are they more than a lb off and she could tell it's a definitely a big baby. I find out more Wednesday but I would just like to know if any other mama's have naturally given birth to a baby that big? I really wanted to have a completely natural birth, no epidural, hoping to avoid an episiotomy and c-section!
August 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Personally, I have not. I've had two 8lb boys (close to 9, but not quite). I see that as average and not big. I wouldn't consider anything under 9lbs 'big'. I have had LOTS of friends who have had csections for their first bc of "big babies" and have gone on to have VBACS later and birth 9 and 10 pounders vaginally. I also have a close friend who is a very small 95 lb Port Rican girl who had almost 10lb baby as her first baby vaginally.

I personally believe that unless there is a medical problem, then your body will not make a baby to big to birth. No matter what the size is, I'm sure it's the perfect size for your body.

Also, no matter how much your doctor wants to swear by that ultrasound machine, I wouldn't use it as a good estimate of baby's size at this point. Research shows that it can be off as much as plus or minus TWO POUNDS. That's a lot. There is actually research that supports better assessment of vaginal delivery by just using hands to feel the position, station, size of the baby in relation to your hips and pelvic outlet during a vaginal exam. Still I believe God will not give us more than we can handle.

Can Ultrasound Really Predict the Weight of My*Baby? - Blog -
How reliable is ultrasound in detecing big babies? | Maternal Link & HypnoBirthing
http://www.childbirthconnection.org/...rnity-care.pdf
daneeleigh likes this.

August 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you! She is in position, I am -1 station and fully effaced, 1 cm dilated.. I feel like my body is prepared to do this naturally. And who knows... she could just be tall and lean! I have also read that it has more to do with the circumference of the head and shoulder width than anything. I also agree U/S machines can be very off, but he has been thinking it is a big baby for a few weeks prior from just feeling around and he has been in practice for 30+ years. He is all for natural births and has a high natural birth rate... I will find out more Wednesday but thank you for posting!
noworries and therevslady like this.
August 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't let this freak you out! I am far more worried about big heads and wide shoulders than fat. Fat squishes (although heads do too). I have always heard they are off by up to 2 pounds. Just don't let this screw with your confidence, this is what your body was made to do, and other than rare instances and rare conditions bodies don't make babies to big to birth. If it happened as often as we are led to believe by modern medicine our species would have a hard time sticking around.
August 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran
oh momma... I am with PP on this.. I had a 9.6lb baby with a VERY big head. I can't remember the circumference for the life of me, but he still has a big head lol. I had him vaginally and it was no issue at all. Your body will grow a baby you can birth. The whole history behind "big babies" was when rickets was a real issue with women, making their pelvis malformed and would not allow a baby to be born through it. That is obviously no issue today, yet many Drs can't let go of that.

I am fully expecting a large baby this time around too, I wouldn't be surprised with a 10lber lol. I will do it vaginally - because my body was meant to do it! Don't let it stress you out...you can do it!
therevslady likes this.
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
August 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too believe your body makes what it can handle. I'm 5'1 and although my baby was an average size baby, his head did not flex much when coming out. My midwife said his soft spot really wasn't there at birth and that his head did not flex really at all when coming out. So I had the full wrath of it during labor lol, intense pressure. But during labor at no point did I question his size. I don't think my labor was any indicator to how big he was. I've heard of women giving birth to 10lbers easier than I birthed my 7lber.
August 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thank you everyone, I feel much better :-)
August 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My second daughter was 8lb 13oz - I don't consider that a "big baby" in general, but she was big to me, my first daughter was 7lbs! And you know what, I tore the same with both of them, had pretty similar births except DD2 needed a few pushes to get her body out (big chest). There's really no reason to expect you'd have problems birthing a "larger" baby unless there's something medically wrong. You'll do great!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
August 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter was 7 pounds 8 ounces and my son was just shy of ten pounds. I delivered both without pain medications and each took less than ten minutes to push out. Honestly until my husband was like "he's huge!" it hadn't occurred to me, lol.

While I have no idea if this is true, I like to picture it this way:

It's the squeezing of the baby by your uterus that is uncomfortable. If I'm holding a pencil in one hand and a hot dog in the other... It takes less effort for my hand to squeeze the hot dog, lol. So y hand muscles aren't contracting as much and are therefore more comfortable.

Keep telling yourself this will be an easier and faster birth because of this! . Your attitude and mind set play a hugeeee role so don't doubt yourself over the possible size of your baby! You can do it!!
daneeleigh and therevslady like this.

August 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have a big baby naturally- she was eight pounds flat. But the NST ultrasound just a few days before had them estimating her at at LEAST nine and a half pounds. My MW wasn't worried because she said ultrasounds are terrible at guesstimating the baby's weight.

Tags
big babies , epidural , natural birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search