Vitmain K and eye antibiotics

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Ok, so I found this:
Quote:
What else will happen in the first hour?
A nurse will put antibiotic ointment or drops in your baby's eyes within an hour after birth. The ointment or eyedrops are required by state law in the United States to help prevent eye infections — some of which can cause blindness — from a variety of bacteria that your baby could have been exposed to just before or during birth, including gonorrhea and chlamydia.

She'll also weigh your baby and give him an injection of vitamin K to help his blood clot. She may measure his length and head circumference, or that may be done later by the pediatrician.[/b]
Is the eye ointment just to protect from STD's? Because we don't have any, so why would my baby need it (ds got it though).

Did you have the Vitamin K shot and/or the eye stuff for your babies? Why or why not?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Fritz got neither. Eye ointment we just decided wasn't necessary. The vitamin K shot we decided to wait until he was born and if there was trauma we'd decide if he needed it but if the delivery was normal (it was) we'd skip it. Also, I took alfalfa (3 grams a day) for the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy so he very likely already had good clotting factors. If we were going to circ him we would have gotten the vitamin K though, but we leave our sons intact so that wasn't an issue.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
okay for the sake of sounding really stupid, did you take like alfalfa tablets, or eat alfalfa sprouts. I am sure you will laugh at this, but I was just curious.

July 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Alfalfa capsules

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Only my first child had eye ointment. Then I learned it was for the prevention of STDs and said no. The next three did not have it.

Vit K I had with my first 3, and with my 4th I did not (he was a planned unassisted birth). I looked into it, it is only helpful or has a purpose in a very traumatic birth (forceps for example, or dropping the baby) otherwise it isn't needed.

You can decline anything you like, nobody can force any of it on you.

July 21st, 2006, 07:22 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
We didn't/won't get eye antibiotics. It is state law - but we fight it. Refusal of treatment based on grounds of religion (lol - nice eh?). It is for STD purposes and dh and I neither have an STD, so there is no reason for it. We supply a written refusal of treatment from my regular OB-Gyn stating I and dh have no STDs and that we are exclusive partners. We had them threaten to get a court order for the twins and I said 'fine, go ahead, you know it won't stand up as it is unconstitutional and illegal, besides, by the time you get it, you will have passed the 2 hour limit stated in the ACOG and AAP guidelines'. They dropped it.

We didn't/won't Vit K either. The only reason TO do it would be if you are circing before they leave the hospital or for precautionary measures in the case of traumatic birth (forceps or vac extraction). If my child had a traumatic birth, we would vit K... if we were choosing to circ, we would wait till the 8th day and not need vit K anyways. Strange thing is, babies are born with no clotting agents... I venture to guess mother nature (God) knew what it/He was doing when designing us and there is a reason to not have vit K in the system at birth. OTOH, on the 8th day, babies have their highest levels of Vit K naturally - which is the same day YHWH gave Moses to circ a newborn. Think they had a reason? lol. My thoughts: don't mess with mother nature. There must be a reason we were designed with no vit K at birth.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 21st, 2006, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well.. up here in Canada, our midwife had us sign an informed consent form saying that we refused certain actions and tests. just to cover her butt... but there is nothing that they can inforce upon us.. we have a say in everything.

we refused the eye drop. sooo silly, we were tested for all STD's during pregnancy.. what a waste to do something to prevent the spread of something we dont have~

but we did opt for the vit.K shot. i dont know.... i just panicked i guess. i also was going to wait to see if i had a traumatic birth, and decide then. but it was in the moment, and staring at my baby, and my midwife suggesting that even a small injury could mean big trouble. well i caved and Lily got the shot.

i dont think i will the next time either. i think you are sooo right wonderfullymade~ mother nature must have had a reason why babies are not born with it... she hasnt been proved wrong before!
July 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:
We didn't/won't Vit K either. The only reason TO do it would be if you are circing before they leave the hospital or for precautionary measures in the case of traumatic birth (forceps or vac extraction). If my child had a traumatic birth, we would vit K... if we were choosing to circ, we would wait till the 8th day and not need vit K anyways. Strange thing is, babies are born with no clotting agents... I venture to guess mother nature (God) knew what it/He was doing when designing us and there is a reason to not have vit K in the system at birth. OTOH, on the 8th day, babies have their highest levels of Vit K naturally - which is the same day YHWH gave Moses to circ a newborn. Think they had a reason? lol. My thoughts: don't mess with mother nature. There must be a reason we were designed with no vit K at birth.[/b]

Trupe and I were wondering about the 8 day thing! Wow...thats soo awesome, I can't wait to tell him! God is sooo amazing!

Thanks so much for your help everyone, it means a lot ot me to make informed choices this time...and hopefully not get treated like a moron in the process (every question we asked with our first pg we got treated like idiots because I was 20 and dh looked 20-although he was 26).

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did both when my son was born, but mainly b/c I didnt know there were any other options.

This time - we will only do either one if there are any problems.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We got the shot with DD and the eye drops. Personally I think they are pointless. Test the mom for STD's don't assume everyone has it and give the baby eye drops for something they don't have! Sheesh! Course I didn't get tested for the STD's this time because I didn't have any last time, I know I don't have any this time. Dh and I have never 'been' with anyone else so it is pointless to test for what I know I don't have. Most likely my baby will get both this time around as well. I just don't really want to fight this one. I have heard too many horror stories of what can happen when a mom questions the system. I do however refuse the stupid Hep B shot. And I am a non-vaxer.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 24th, 2006, 07:17 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did the Vit K shot, but didn't do the eyes gel....The ped @ the delivery was giving us a hard time say we had to, Finally my Doc said, no they can sign a waiver and refuse it.
July 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wonderfully made and luvemm, What states are you in? I know NY is one of the horrible states for natural birth and such. I was just reading an article in mothering about a mother who is HIV positive and Iguess in NY they have MANDATORY HIV testing for every baby regardless of mtoehr's status. SO they can't force the mother to test but they are testing every baby and then forcing AZT on the parents or calling DYS.
Land of the free, eh?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search