Where are you from?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 04:55 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkapple View Post
I live in Douglasville, Georgia. I can't say I love it here, but I don't hate it, either. As for the birth climate, it's kind of hard to say. I'd say not very good for NCB, as most of the women I've met here are baffled by the thought of not using medications, and c-sections are considered the "best" way to give birth. The best doctor in our area has a c-section rate that is unbelievable...which is why I've chosen to drive an hour out to alpharetta for a more supportive birth.

Luckily, my SO and I are great friends with a wonderful couple. They were childhood friends of his that got married. The wife is a doula, and her husband hosts the GA birth network from his home. They are very passionate about natural birth and have been extremely supportive in our decision. I can't say I would have decided this without them!
My Dad and FIL both life in Douglasville. I feel your pain. Hey! I might know your doula buddy. My gut is telling me that it might be one of three people who have friends in family in the Doulgasville area.

I live in Atlanta. Things are a little different here than the Burbs in Ga. I find people are a bit crunchier who live ITP. Lots more of my friends intown have NCB than my friends who live OTP.

I find that I am often a bit disconnected from the true birth culture in my area by the nature of my job; I am around more "birthy" people quite often. And if my friends weren't into NCB before we started hanging out, most of them slowly converted, lol.

Numbers are growing at birth events, and I feel like more interest is being shown in NCB shown by the demand given of providers. Now we just need more options when it comes to care providers because the few that we have are bursting at the seams. We just need more options!!! I'm hoping that the work at Intown will spread OTP and that the hospitals will start changing things. I pray for the Wellstart hospitals often because if they started changing things, then I KNOW it would make a HUGE difference for women in Ga.

September 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissusF View Post
That's great they got a birth center started in Rocky Mount. I'm surprised they were able to open one there before Roanoke. It's also surprising there isn't more in the way of alternative birth services since there are a lot of old hippies that settled in the NRV (my parents for example, hah!). Though I do know there are a few home birth midwives around.

I don't know a whole lot about the birth climate and family friendly aspects of Roanoke because I didn't have kids when I lived there. Most of my friends were childless as well and the few who did were a lot more main stream. I hope you're enjoying the area. I love the NRV (Especially Blacksburg and VA Tech) but that's my home town so I'm biased
Yea, I was suprised as well.. and yes, there are several midwives around here and doulas. I do like the area... I miss my hometown in KY but this is pretty close. All in all, its a good place to have a family!
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
September 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in Italy. Some areas are more mainstream than others. Where I live in the country it's fairly crunchy. We have hospital based Midwives and independent Midwives who do homebirths, they can also work in a hospital if they choose to. I see an independent Midwife, she does the appointments in my home. The hospital rooms are also set up a lot better than most in the US. They have birth swings to help with squating, you can birth in different positions and they don't push meds on you.
September 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Super Mommy
I am just north of Houston and it can be pretty mixed. I wanted to have my first at Nativiti, the birthing center, but discovered I have a bicornuated uterus. Luckily my dr at the time was awesome and trained with a bunch of midwives so she did everything but water birth. A lot of people do the birthing center. I have had a few friends who have hoped for home birth but opted for the birthing center not for medical reasons. They just had friends that delivered at nativiti and loved it so much they decided to deliver there also. Even at the hospital though if you walk in and say "I will not have any drugs so please do not offer" they tend not to offer unless you seem to really need help. One of the local hospitals has a baby fair every year where you can do everything from talk to nicu nurses to meet several different doulas, midwives, representatives from local ob offices, pediatricians and get your belly cast done. There are, of course elective c-sections and depending on who your dr. is your c-section will not be elective. Also, when I first moved to the area VBAC was a dirty word. Now more dr.s are doing them. One girl I know just had her second about a month ago. NCB is popular around here. Finding someone who consistently takes your insurance is the interesting part since that tends to change a bit every year.
October 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Southern MO. I have no idea what the birth climate is down here as we just moved. Originally from Kansas City and there's a little bit of everything there b/c of how big it is.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

October 27th, 2012, 05:29 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm near Charlotte, NC. Like Jennifer posted, the birth climate in NC is not super NCB-friendly. It really depends on your area. It's crunchier in the mountains and near Chapel Hill but not where I am. A birth center just opened up a little over an hour away from me in an area that I am really surprised to see one, but it's still a little too far for me given my history of super fast labor. I'm sure people do homebirths in my area, but they are extremely rare. Direct-entry midwives are illegal in NC, so CNMs are the only option. My midwives are part of an OB practice and can only deliver at one hospital. I will have to pass 3 other hospitals on my way to deliver just to have a midwife. People look at me like I'm crazy when I say that I had a NCB and plan to do it again.
October 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I live in MD. And if you head toward the big cities (Annapolis, Baltimore, DC) you get "more" options, even if its still not terribly crunchy or NCB-friendly. BUT, I live on the eastern shore (aka: no big cities, lots of chicken farms) and it is very anti-NCB here. The main local hospital has a 40% c-section rate. I drive an hour for a midwife, who is in a practice with OBs and not even terribly NCB friendly. I like her and she will go with my wishes, but you can't call it crunchy even if you stretch. Our home birth midwives, who came out of Delaware have been given cease and desist orders and no one is currently home birthing (unless it is unassisted). It's ugly. There is a very small movement of friends of mine who are NCB friendly. There are about 60 of them between all of Delaware, Eastern MD and northern VA. So it's not a huge thing around here. 90% of my friends have had "necessary" c-sections. Blah.
October 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the center of Canada. The city we moved from in April just opened their first Birth Centre. However it is VERY difficult to get in as there are VERY limited midwives available. There were 2 options for hospitals that deliver, I'm not sure either's level of suport for NCB. I can't think of any friend who didn't have at least some meds while delivering at either hospital.
We live VERY rurally (over 1 hour from the nearest hospital) so I don't feel it's responsible for us to have a home birth. We are on the Canada/USA border and are covered if we want to have a baby in the states, but have opted for midwifery care at the hospital 1 hour north of us instead. I will be delivering at a smaller hospital, and although maternity shares a ward with surgical, they do not offer epidurals or anything for pregnancies deemed high risk. From what I've heard the hospital is equipped with tubs, showers, railings, balls etc. I'm really looking forward to having a NCB!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search