Easier if you have already given birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We soon start TTC our third and final child. I really want to do natural childbirth either at home or a birthing center because with this being my last child I want the full experience pain and all. What I am wondering from those with experience is natural childbirth generally easier with 2nd or later pregnancies since labor is usually shorter than the first time?

My first pregnancy I had early epidural and felt nothing for most of labor and the entire birth. My second pregnancy I got to the hospital only 1 hour before giving birth so they had barely gotten the epidural started when I needed to push so this time I felt a lot more than the first time and it was quite painful. So if my third labor is shorter than the first two I am thinking that I can handle going all the way natural this time.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

September 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Labor is not always shorter. my first was 9hrs. my 4th and 5th, were even longer. But i don't know if that was cause i was induced or not. Is it easier, well i guess for me it wasn't, but it's different for everyone though.

September 8th, 2012, 09:37 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom who had 5 kids told me each labor was faster than the last. My first labor was 15 hours from when pain started until birth and my second labor had a whole day of painless contractions and only about 7 hours of painful contractions before birth. I was expecting the third time to have less time in pain I still want to have natural be my goal.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

September 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Nicole ~ View Post
My mom who had 5 kids told me each labor was faster than the last. My first labor was 15 hours from when pain started until birth and my second labor had a whole day of painless contractions and only about 7 hours of painful contractions before birth. I was expecting the third time to have less time in pain I still want to have natural be my goal.
Generally it is, but not always. My son's labor was shorter overall by a few hours but the time I was in active hard labor was double what it was with my daughter. It was a much harder labor because of his position. That said, I still did it totally natural. You can definitely do it if you have your mind set on it!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
September 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natural works better if you're confident in your body and not afraid of facing childbirth. For a lot of moms, I think this is easier to obtain if labor and delivery aren't a complete unknown. I think having attended several natural childbirths made going natural my first time easier on me. It was all about doing what you could to feel prepared and confident in yourself and your choice. I'm pregnant for the second time, but won't be able to tell you if the second delivery was easier until 2013.

September 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I believe every labor is unique to your baby's situation. Since the nature of birth is relational, between you and another person (your baby), I don't believe it all depends on the experience that your body has. I do feel that it makes a difference in pushing. Many 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ time moms simply have an easier time pushing because they remember what worked for them (and what didn't) in the past. Sometimes having experience also gives a mother confidence and she will surrender to the process easier and have less mental roadblocks to clear (not always the case though).

September 21st, 2012, 10:55 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
For me my labors have been long, short, long, short.(13.5hrs, 6hrs, 14hrs, and 5hrs) So I don't think they always get easier but for some people they do. I will add my babies always come out posterior because of my pelvis so that does make my labors harder and a little longer. Had my last child been anterior my labor would have been like 2.5hrs.

September 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Kailey's birth was like a textbook script.
Nola's birth, I had prodromal labor off and on for 2 days, it was exhausting. Actual labor itself was only 12hrs.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search