Choosing your care provider

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
What sort of things factor into choosing your care provider?

Ob, Midwife, family doctor, or unassisted?

Man or woman?

Which matters more to you: birth place or care provider?

Is your care provider experienced in NCB?

Do you know your care provider's c-section rate?

If you are planning on home birth, do you know your care provider's transfer rate or c-section rate?

If you are planning on home birth, does your midwife have an official hospital back up or are you responsible for arranging back up?

Last edited by therevslady; September 12th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
September 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ob, Midwife, family doctor, or unassisted? Midwife

Man or woman? I've never come across a male midwife but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere . If I were seeing an OB I wouldn't care if they were male or female.

Which matters more to you: birth place or care provider? Birth place.

Is your care provider experienced in NCB? Yes

Do you know your care provider's c-section rate? She's a home birth midwife, so I hope it's zero, lol.

If you are planning on home birth, do you know your care provider's transfer rate or c-section rate? I don't know her transfer/csection rate

If you are planning on home birth, does your midwife have an official hospital back up or are you responsible for arranging back up? I was responsible for finding a backup or having a shadow care provider if I wanted one. She has a good working relationship with the hospital but doesn't have an official backup.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

September 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
What sort of things factor into choosing your care provider? Didn't have much choice in the matter, there are no midwives in this area because Alabama is backwards Of the OBs in the area, I had the best recommendations for this one, and I've loved her.

Ob, Midwife, family doctor, or unassisted? OB

Man or woman? Woman. Nothing against male OBs, I just feel more comfortable with a woman.

Which matters more to you: birth place or care provider? Provider, I'm delivering in the hospital regardless, so I wanted an OB that I was comfortable with and I knew wouldn't push something on me that I didn't want. I am delivering at the more relaxed hospital with nicer L&D rooms, though.

Is your care provider experienced in NCB?Yes, that's why I chose her. Several of my friends had a NCB with her and they all did great. My chiropractor also recommended her.

Do you know your care provider's c-section rate? Not sure, but it's less than 30% for primary sections. VBACs are banned in this area (again, Alabama is backwards). She won't do one unless there's signs of distress, and she won't induce unless there's a good medical reason and all natural attempts at induction have failed.
September 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran
What sort of things factor into choosing your care provider? I need to have a good relationship with my provider - as in I feel like I can talk to them about whatever comes up, no matter how trivial. I aslo need to feel they are willing to take the time to listen to me.

Ob, Midwife, family doctor, or unassisted? I prefer a midwife - finances won't allow it, but I normally see a nurse practioner, only 2 OBs in the office and I feel fairly comfortable with them both.

Man or woman? Doesn't really matter.. a woman can be more understanding if she has been in your shoes. That's why I like seeing a woman for my prenatals, and I am ok with a man being the OB

Which matters more to you: birth place or care provider? provider - they are the ones that can make or break your birthing experience if they are not on the same page.

Is your care provider experienced in NCB? Somewhat I believe, but sadly, I do not know how familiar. I am meeting with the OBs on my next appointments to get a feel for it.

Do you know your care provider's c-section rate? Not 100% sure, I have looked up that info and the one place I found showed both OBs to have very low rates.

If you are planning on home birth, do you know your care provider's transfer rate or c-section rate? Hospital birth for me I'm afraid!

If you are planning on home birth, does your midwife have an official hospital back up or are you responsible for arranging back up? Hospital birth for me I'm afraid!

This is a very good topic... I have been thinking a lot about it lately and I think I need to be very prepared at my next visit in case these OBs are not on the same page with me.
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
September 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Their model of care, if we have the same outlook on childbirth, if they have a successful VBAC rate, their location, etc. Most important thing to me is feeling like we were on the same page and getting a provider I was confident would give me a 100% honest effort at my VBAC and wouldn't do the bate and switch on me.

Midwife

Man or woman?
Woman

Care provider

Yes, they are very well known in our area for providing woman with great natural labors and not intervening with unnecessary interventions.

Yes. The lowest I've found in our area. I believe it is 9%.

If you are planning on home birth, do you know your care provider's transfer rate or c-section rate?
N/A

If you are planning on home birth, does your midwife have an official hospital back up or are you responsible for arranging back up?
N/A

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
therevslady likes this.

Last edited by Memi; September 13th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
September 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Dee
A supportive birthing environment was first and foremost. Since most places here work on a rotating schedule (rather than on-call), you don't know who you're going to get. I couldn't talk DH into a home birth or birthing center for our first, so I looked for the hospital with the most supportive environment for natural laboring and delivery. That way no matter which midwife was on duty, I knew that the department staff were accustomed to and supportive of NCB.

Midwife.

Man or woman?
All of the midwives I know about are women, but if I need to see an OB I'm okay with seeing a man.

I picked the hospital first. Each hospital in the area seems to have a single midwife practice, so picking the hospital is picking the practice.

Yes. They are so excited when I talk about it. It's cute, really.

Since the midwives and OBs work together, there's a 30% c-section rate for the hospital. It's average, and I'd love below average, but I can live with average.

N/A

N/A

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search