Questions to ask your care provider

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran
I know this is a little late in the game as I am just shy of 33 weeks.. but better now than too late!!

I like my care provider, but she is a nurse practioner and will not be able to deliver for me. There are 2 OBs in the practice that may deliver for me and I had one of them last time. I was happy with how he handled things, but I also had an epidural () so I am not sure that is a good indicator of how he would handle a natural labor. So I have an appointment with him at my next visit, and will meet with the other OB the next time. I would like to have some direct questions to ask at the appointments that should give me a good understanding of how they will handle my labor.

I can think of a few, but some advice from you ladies would be wonderful!! I don't want to come out and say "Are you going to push me into unnecessary interventions???" lol So how can I tactfully get those answers?
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
September 13th, 2012, 08:33 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I would ask questions about induction and intervention policies:

For example: I tend to go past 42 weeks. I would ask what the OB's policies were and what hospital policies were for patients who go 42 or more weeks.

I would ask their personal c-section rate. I would also tour the hospital and ask the hospital's c-section rate. I would also ask their VBAC success rate (this gives you a great idea of what type of care provider they are even if you aren't a VBAC).

I would ask at what point in labor can you expect to see them. Most care providers show up and stay around once you hit 8+ cm. Some simply show up for pushing. If you are lucky, they stay longer.

I would ask about having freedom of movement during labor. This might be more applicable to the hospital policies, but how often will you be monitored? Will you have to stay in bed? Can you show/bath during labor? What positions can you push in? Do you have to deliver on your back? (Some OB's allow you to push anyway you want, but once the baby starts to pass the pubic bone, they will have you turn to your back). If you have a specific preference for pushing, ask if they feel comfortable with that, for example: would you feel comfortable if I pushed standing up? would you feel comfortable if I pushed hand/knees, etc?

I would ask if they actively manage the third stage of labor. Do they immediately clamp the cord? Do they wait a few minutes before cutting the cord? Do they use routine pitocin to expel placenta? Do they allow your body time to birth the placenta on your own?

There are of course other things you can ask about, episiotomy rates, what do they do to prevent tearing, etc

September 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran
All great questions! Thanks so much! I am making lists for each. Luckily I did labor for a while last time, so I know the answers to several of those questions already. They monitored me when I first came in, but once I was in a labor room they let me be and got me a birthing ball to sit on. The nurse even suggested a shower when I asked for the epidural. I def. need to find out about pushing. The last time the OB came in and checked on me about 3 times before I was fully dilated. And came in to see me about an hour after birth. HE pretty much let the nurses handle everything, but came in for delivery. I feel like he was in too much of a rush to deliver the placenta though, but my memory of all that is kind of clouded.

Worst case scenario is that I may have to find a more compatible practice. But I am hoping for good answers.

Do you think that they are accustomed to be asked these type of questions?
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search