Can we talk Doulas?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 1 Post By Blessed.Life

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm about to start my hunt for the right Doula for our situation and needs. We have some meetings set up so I'd love to hear from some of those who have used a Doula before. Thanks in advance ladies!!

How did you find your Doula?

How much did your Doula's services cost?

What were important questions you asked your Doula to make sure they were a right fit for you?

How often did you meet with or see your Doula prior to your L & D?

What was the most crucial thing your Doula did for you (or someone else i suppose) during your L & D?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

October 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My doula is my own personal backup doula. We work together often. We originally met at church.

She did not charge me anything since we are buddies. Her normal fees are the same as mine $650

What were important questions you asked your Doula to make sure they were a right fit for you?
What services does she offer?
What type of support is she familiar with?
What is her scope (does she follow a guide of care or does she willy-nilly do medical support- a nogo for me)?
How did she train?
I asked for a few specific scenarios of support she had given in the past: What would happen if....1 2 and 3 happened...

We saw eachother often, but only had one official meeting.She and I usually give clients one consult, one meeting at 26ish weeks and another at 36ish weeks.

What was the most crucial thing your Doula did for you (or someone else i suppose) during your L & D?
She gives my husband confidence that my needs are being met so he stays of my back with the 2000 questions. He would hover and worry (and has at previous birhts) if it weren't for her. She does things without asking and her feelings aren't hurt when I swat her away. She knew EXACTLY when and where to throw cold rags on me without asking. She knew when and where to give massage and counter pressure. She knew exactly when to give words of encouragement and knew exactly what to say. When things weren't going exactly as planned, she hashed things out with me and helped me weigh my options (while I labored on the toilet, lol). She reminded my husband when the midwives needed to eat, lol. She was just awesome.
Callensfamily likes this.

October 2nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She taught our birthing class.

Normally $800 but she charged us $650.

Could she be there at anytime? We only hired her originally cause DH was set to be underway during EDD.

Only once cause we hired her about two weeks before I delivered.

Got me unstuck from 5/6cm!! I fully believe my Doula saved my labor. I had been sitting at 5/6cm for around 5 hours and I was really starting to go down hill cause the back labor was consuming me. And I was working on 0 sleep. She made me do spinning babies positions and literally had me upside down on my head. I was in transition within minutes.

I can't say enough good things about my Doula.
therevslady likes this.
October 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can only answer about half of these since I am still pregnant

Originally I searched on google for my local area and doula's in the search bar, but I just found that I couldn't afford the going rate and I talked to plenty of local ladies. All were around $750 and up. So we eventually contacted DONA International to get a list of Doula's in Training in my area. Fee is only $250

She will actually be done with training by the time I am due, but she is giving me her "in training" rate, so only $250

Well I asked about beliefs, and also about their own births. If they liked to be really hands off, how much they liked to speak up or let me ask for help during labor and how the relationship is supposed to fit.

It looks like our agreement is the initial meeting, 2 sessions after that meeting before birth, and one where we go over a birth plan. We also freely email though so communication is open

Don't know this one yet!

October 11th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital has a non-profit program

They were free

since it is non-profit and through the hospital you just request one when you get there if you want one

see above

I actually got a doula and a doula in training. They were awesome! She has essential oils for different parts of the labor, gave messages and provided counter pressure act. She encouraged my husband and I and helped make sure my wishes and needs were fulfilled. I don't think I would have made it through my 21 hour labor naturally without them!!
Callensfamily likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search