Umbilical cord stump care...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With ds they told us to do nothing to it, and it fell off completely uncomplicated (no blood, puss, etc) at 4 days old (really freaked me out, I was expecting 10 days or something!). But I know some people are told to swab it with alcohol or something else. So what did you do? And what are the benefits?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 23rd, 2006, 12:58 AM
chlodoll
Isaiah spent two weeks in NICU so I never had to do anything to his belly button! They took care of that and when I brought him home it had already fallen off. I am going to be nervous with my next one! I think its probably best you leave it alone and let it heal on its own.
July 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Do nothing. If you put alcohol on it it can actually take longer to come off and have more chance of complications.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
irishxrose
We left Joshua's alone, and it fell off I think 10 days later.
July 23rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Thats what I thought! But I know so many people who put alcohol on it, so I was wondering if its just a ped preference thing or what? I didn't plan on doing anything different this time.
Thanks!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital told me to put alcohol on my DS's cord. It took three weeks for it to fall off! I am going to ask about not putting anything on it this time and see what they say.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013
July 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Put nothing on it.

Alcohol will kill bacteria, good and bad bacteria. It is best to just let it dry and fall off on its' own. Wash it gently and pat dry as needed.

All 4 of my childrens' fell off quick, about a week each.

July 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
The hospital gave me a stack of alcohol swabs for it which I didn't use, it healed just fine with no fuss in about a week.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search