newborn procedures

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So the post on Vit K and Eye gunk got me wondering what newbron procedures are you planning on doing.
Why or why not and feel free to post informative links.

We didn't plan on doing Vit K, eye gunk, Hep B, or PKU.

I did end up doing Vit K casue KAe had some bruises on her noise and forhead. I didn't plan on it because I didn't see the need of putting my newborn through the pain of the injection without a good reason. I think that babies have low supplies of Vit K for a reason and routinely injested them with something is always a bad idea. I was open to the oral drink but my midwife doesn't use it.

We didn't do the eye drops because I don't have gonerhea.

No Hep B because we don't vax and esp not for hep B which is transmitted via sex IV drug use or blood transfusions.

The PKU we didn't do at the hospital becuase in breastfeed babies it is pretty much useless till after your milk comes in.
July 23rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Whats the PKU? Is that the heel prick thing? We had to do that twice with Trupie!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
I've always wondered about the reasons for giving a baby Vit. K too

I'll have to research that more. I wonder if another one of those typical "well, we started doing it before knowing if it were good or bad" medical things that seem to happen so often.

~Nay
July 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What is your opinion on vitamin K injections for newborns?

Vitamin K is given to newborns to prevent a rare form of blood disease. First identified in 1894, Hemorrhagic Disease of the Newborn (HDN) is a bleeding disorder associated with low levels of vitamin K in newborn babies. It is thought to occur in approximately 1 in every 10,000 infants.

Vitamin K is a group name for several related compounds. The two most common are phylloquinone (also known as vitamin K1 ) and menaquinone ( vitamin K2 ). However, the vitamin K administered to newborns in the hospital is a synthetic form of vitamin K, called phytomenadione.

There are three types of HDN. Early onset HDN occurs in the first 24 hours, is very rare and mainly associated with mothers who have taken anticonvulsant, antibiotic, antituberculous or anticoagulant drugs during pregnancy. Classic HDN occurs in the first week after birth. It is manifested by the oozing of blood and bruising at sites without trauma. Late onset HDN occurs after the first week, with a peak incidence between the second and sixth weeks, and about half the cases present with intracranial bleeding (bleeding into the brain).

Beginning in the 1950s, and in spite of no long term trials of these preparations, the American Academy of Pediatrics began to recommend that phytomenadione be administered prophylactic ally to all newborn babies. (Vail, B. Vitamin K prophylaxis and hemorrhagic disease of the newborn. ICEA Review 1985;9.)

Vitamin K shots contain PEG-35 castor oil, a solvent. Studies in animals given polyethoxylated castor oil have shown a severe anaphylactic reaction associated with histamine release. Strong circumstantial evidence implicates polyethoxylated castor oil in similar reactions in humans. This synthetic, injectable vitamin K formulation was never subjected to a randomized, controlled trial. There are no long term studies on the effects of this drug on newborn babies.

A better way for an infant to have enough Vitamin K at birth are to ensure that the mother eats large quantities of food that contain natural forms of Vitamin K, such as alfalfa, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard and turnip greens, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, oats and green tea. (For a good, well referenced discussion on this topic, see http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm)[/b]

This shot is given to make sure the baby has enough clotting factors in his blood.Breastmilk will make certain that there is enough Vitamin K in your child as will eating a diet rich in Vit K towards the end of your pregnancy. In the past or with medicated births the routine use of vacuum extractor's forceps and other traumatic interventions increased the chances of bruising and the chances of this rare blood disease. routine circumscion also increased the chjances. If you are thinking of circing, first research it and should you still choose to do it then you should probally get the Vit K shot or drink.
Vitamin K can cause jaundice in a newborn. The infants liver is too immature to process or store it, so it ends up in the tissues and causes a yellow color in the skin. This could then cause your child more time in the hospital or cause problems in your breastfeeding relationship and bonding since your baby is stuck under those lights.
July 24th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did oral vitamin K with all three of them and that was pretty much it for the newborn procedures for our kids. I didn't see the need for the others.
July 24th, 2006, 02:59 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I have consented to PKU with all 4, all 4 had to go to the hospital when they were a few days old to get it done. Even Julius, my unassisted homebirth, I had a pediatrician order it for us.

With my first I didn't know better and everything was 'routinely done', they didn't ask.

With my second I had only the Vit K injection and the PKU (see above).

With my thirs, it was the same as my 2nd.

Where I am there are no immunizations given to newborns. If there were, I would decline them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search