NCB in a hospital

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Celry

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Who's done it? Tell me your birth story!

My first one, I had to be induced. Munchkin refused to turn around and face my back. If he had, he probably would've been born several days sooner (if not a week, with the contractions I was having). I got an epidural with him, but I'm immune to numbing medication, so it didn't work like it should have (it was fine right up until I dilated to 10 an then had to push) and I ended up feeling everything anyway.

It wasn't the most horrible birth, but I pushed for soooo long and I think if I'd been allowed to get up and walk around, it probably wouldn't have taken as long to push him out.

This time I wanna forgo the epidural (even if I have to be induced) just so I can get up and move and not have to push on my back.

What's been your experience? Has anyone delivered in a hospital not on your back?

My Boring Blog
November 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My first NCB was in the hospital. The story is in the subforum for natural birth stories.

I've also had a non-effective epidural. I'll just say that my two NCB experience were much more intense and much easier than having a faulty epidural. When you forego the drugs, it gives your body the opportunity to naturally react to the process going on. Laying in bed on a bad epidural was torture. But being able to move freely and go with the flow made things much more manageable and more comfortable.

Here's some good reading: Ecstatic Birth - Mothering Community

November 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had two. One with no pain meds though I had pre e and had to stay on my side on mag the entire time and the second was a waterbirth in a hospital. Both birth stories are in the subforum

November 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I'm thinking about doing Hypnobabies. Anyone had experience with that?

My Boring Blog
November 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my 3rd baby via VBAC in the hospital using a midwife and hypnosis techniques. It was awesome! I told my midwife that I had taken a hypnosis class for birthing. She made sure I had a nurse who was used to natural births. I did have to be monitored when I first went in because of the VBAC, but as soon as they got a good strip on the baby I was able to get up and do whatever I wanted. I was goign to get into a tub at one point, but I started going through transition and my hospital doesn't allow water births. I was allowed to push in any position I wanted. I started on my side, but it wasn't working for me, so I moved to more of a sitting position. There were no stirrups involved. Just the nurse and my husband. I wasn't told when to push, my body knew and I was left to do whatever I needed to.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had a great hospital birth with Liam. I wasn't induced or anything. No interventions. Pushing wasn't spectacular though, I was semi-laying and it was uncomfortable. But I tried hands and knees and that was very painful due to his positioning (he was facing sideways and came out that way, pushing harder on one side of my body than the other). I really can't complain much about it, especially as I now know how darn painful pushing is for me no matter what position I am in. I don't mind labor, but pushing is agonizing for me.

Kieran was also a hospital birth, but one I dont speak highly of. It was medicalized (I was monitored a lot, had an IV, and was on pitocin). I hated the doctor who attended. And pitocin contractions were very painful. I was about four minutes from an epi when I gave birth. I pushed him out sitting up, sorta squat style, but supported. Despite only being 10 minutes, it was very painful. But, apparently I am NOT one of those women who likes to push or feels relief. I panic a little and it hurts, even when my body is taking over, it feels like I am splitting in two the whole time.

I am hoping for a home birth this time around. But not really because I hated my hospital births. I actually quite liked Liam's and didn't hate Kierans (just wasn't as I planned). I just want something different.

But I think NCB in a hospital is great and often a good experience, as long as the doctors and nurses are on board. The main downfall of Kierans birth is that my midwife was out of town and other one that should be on call had a death in the family and had to leave suddenly that day. So I was left with the doctor I never much liked and that can throw everything off. I believe Kierans birth story might be in the birth story forums, even though it wasn't natural (I had Nubain with him).
November 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Newbies
I had a fantastic hypnobaby experience at the hospital. The nurses and staff were very supportive of my choice for a NCB and only were in the room when we were o.k. with it and/or it was necessary. I did end up with an Emergency csection due to my blood pressure sky rocketing, however, I plan to try for a complete NCB using Hypnobabies again with this baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search