Whoops, I watched a baby story

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2006, 07:52 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really like that show for personal reasons, but anyway I watched one this morning in which the lady was expecting a boy but had a girl and I was just curious. She went natural, and was really losing it. That scared me. I don't want to lose it. Did anyone see that episode and what did you think of the screaming? Do you scream? I really want to have a natural birth but sometimes I am unsure of my abilities.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt lose it. But I also had short labors (1 was 6hrs, 1 was 4hrs). With DD I screamed twice. Once because she kicked me REALLY hard while I was having a contraction. And once when her shoulders came out but it wasnt really a scream of pain it was more of a release of energy.

July 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I really wish there was some way to do a test contraction or two just to know what they will feel like and see my tolerance without going into pre-term labor. Bummer. i hate the fact that it's completey unknown until you can't do anything about it!
July 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I never lost it or screamed. I do vocalize - but mine are all low and controlled. lots of humming, moaning, aaahhing, and 'baaing'.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 25th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I really wish there was some way to do a test contraction or two just to know what they will feel like and see my tolerance without going into pre-term labor. Bummer. i hate the fact that it's completey unknown until you can't do anything about it! [/b]

Well, not that DD was natural, but I actually think in my oppinion, if you were to feel a painful transitional contraction by itself you would think "I am NOT doing this without pain meds!" But what is great about most labors is really early labor and even active labor are managable and they build you up. Your body is able to build its own endorphins and pain coping techniques through the earlier stuff. If you feel the end first you haven't built anything up to handle it. Does that make sense? My poor cousin has her kids in 2 hours or less. She has home births 1) because she wants to 2) more importantly she doesn't even have time to get to a hospital before the baby is out in one push. The downside she says is her first contraction is transitional and painful beyond words. She says because she has no build up it makes her scream and throw up. So even though she has fast labor she wishes she had a little bit more early build up to handle the intense stuff.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
I don't really like that show for personal reasons, but anyway I watched one this morning in which the lady was expecting a boy but had a girl and I was just curious. She went natural, and was really losing it. That scared me. I don't want to lose it. Did anyone see that episode and what did you think of the screaming? Do you scream? I really want to have a natural birth but sometimes I am unsure of my abilities. [/b]
I didn't make any unsual or loud sounds during the labor or delivery. I did talk to people in the room between contractions, but just in a normal conversation tone of voice.

Those shows, I bet they film so many births until they find the one that is best for TV audiences. I'm sure they get a hundred applicants a day who want to be on television.

~Nay
July 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I screamed only when I felt the "ring of fire" and I screamed "it burns it burns" - but it was over quick - and the rest of the time it hurt like hell but I kept in control.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Veteran
Good for you for considering a Natural Childbirth! In my opinion, it's the most empowering experience a woman has the honor to experience.
You can do it. Women have been doing it for centuries. No one will say it won't hurt, but it's all about how you approach it. Being prepared is the most important thing you can do. I highly recommend you take a natural childbirth class. My DD and I took the Bradley Class. Find out what you have available in your area.
I am expecting my second, and had my first natural, if it was so bad, I wouldn't even think about it.
OH and you can have some MAJOR bragging rights! <wink wink>

July 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
I screamed only when I felt the "ring of fire" and I screamed "it burns it burns" - but it was over quick - and the rest of the time it hurt like hell but I kept in control.[/b]
The ring of fire is your body's indication to rest a moment. I made the mistake of just pushing through the pain (and not even my doula reminded me it's not necessary). With this baby I'll be at home instead of anxious at the hospital so I'll be better able to remember little things like that.

~Nay
July 28th, 2006, 03:41 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i yelled a bit, when i lost control and focus. i would hld tightly to my hospital bed, and groan and grunt, and let tears stream down my face when i couldn't take it. in retrospec, it wasn't so bad. it was fairly quick. have confidence in yourself, hon. YOU CAN DO IT. and... if it doesn't go as you hoped, you are NOT a failure, or weak. best wishes, hope you have the birth of your dreams.

if it helps, try not to watch these shows. i love them, but i never watch them when i'm approaching a birth. they get me thinking about the pain, and i get nervous, when i'm otherwise very excited and pumped.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 30th, 2006, 09:20 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am told that I was vocal and made lots of moaning, humming sounds. But I felt like I was screaming and I felt like I was so loud. Don't be afraid to scream or make noises. It is hard work! Allow yourself to be the birthing mama you need to be...not what you feel you should be. This is not good. It can hinder your birth. Just let go and let yourself be what you need to be. It is a special day and you are the boss.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search