Natural birth with no classes and no doula

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can it be done? (say yes ) I can't afford a Bradley class because its 250 dollars and a 40 minute drive (gas!! and I'd need grandparents to watch my son). etc.

I have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way. Can I do it without a class? Any recommendations or thoughts? I have the option of laboring in water as well. I am also giving birth at a hospital with midwives.

About the Bradley Method, did you find that way of laying in the bed helpful? (there is a picture in the book)
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes it can be done. I had general childbirth class with DS, nothing while preggo with DD and they were both natural

July 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
and how did you do it?

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
and how did you do it? [/b]
Relaxed during contractions, meditated, had wonderful people and support around me and most importantly trusted my body. Plus the fact that I told everyone I would do it natural and there was no way in heck that I would give in so they could tease me later

July 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
All I did for my first natural birth was read Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way and other educational resources (lol). No, I didn't find the side relaxation relaxing. lol. I still don't. I am a Bradley Instructor and against side relaxation - handcuff me and frisk me - lock me up and report me lol!!! I preferred being an active birther - moving and only relaxing that which was not needed to hold me up when another rush washed over me.

Yes it is possible and you can do it!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 24th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah that book was always talking about saving energy, which makes sense to me, but in my last labor I had the urge to walk around and be upright. So I don't know how much I can make myself lay down... maybe at first I can. I did 12 hours before getting the epidural, and I didn't think it was too bad yet, so I have hope that I have some idea what it will be like.

July 25th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Regular
Yes I done it. I didnt read up on anything, I didnt take any classes, I didnt have a doula... In everything I do I just tend to "go with the flow" and that is what I done. I didnt PLAN anything because I didnt want to create a perfect birth experience in my head and then be disappointed.
July 25th, 2006, 06:46 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I thought I would "pop in" and give my 2 cents on the subject...

I have never had a childbirth class in my life and never read a childbirth book. I went into labor with my first (a son) at 28 weeks...which is why I didn't have a chance to go to childbirth classes...anyway, I had him completely natural no drugs, no epidural. With my 2nd...my older dd Alexis...I went into labor at 32 weeks. I had planned on attending childbirth classes but they didn't start until a week after she was born...so no point in attending!! lol With my 3rd...DD #2 (Paige)...I decided not to even bother signing up for childbirth classes. I went into labor with her (full term) and my labor stalled out at 7cm. I was having horrible contractions but they didn't want to break my water or anything because I had the flu and was extremely dehydrated. They wanted me to labor overnight while they got me re-hydrated. After about 6 hours of being stuck at 7cm I did give in and get stadol. Honestly it didn't do much except make me sleep. I probably would opt not to have it next time. Then after about 10 hours of being stuck at 7 cm they started pitocin....warning me that i should get an epidural or I may regret it and it may be too late. I was totally against having an epidural so I refused. I did manage to give birth to her with only having the one dose of stadol, no epidural and no childbirth classes or chilbirth books.

My biggest recommendation is if you want to do it don't give in...the pain is temporary. I am the world's biggest chicken and I did it so you can too!! lol Also, when pushing have you dh/bf/df/so/coach/etc put their hand behind the back of your head near your neck and have them push your head forward while you push back on their hand....it really helps tons!!!

BTW - I am high risk so I did all of this in a hospital with dr's and nurses...no midwives or doulas.

Good luck to you....

July 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
Hey!

Thought I'd tell you about my experience.

I gave birth naturally with no birth classes.... but my awesome midwife really helped and walked me through everything.

You can read my birth story here
July 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yahoo... you can do it!!!

i had a midwife, but i didnt attened any classes. between the awesome kowledge of my midwife, and all the empowering books that i read (and i read all the natural ones.. only 1 conventional birthing book, which turned me sooo off that type of birth).. it really gave me confidence.

i think you are on the right path for sure!! and TylerJ is sooo right. you really just have to trust that your body knows what to do. and it does!!!!

i had a waterbirth at home by the way... and i am sure you are going to LOVE the water. it gives you the ability to move quite freely, which is sooo nice. when i was laboring on land, i was in constant motion, dancing, swaying my hips, getting supported by my hubby. i couldnt imagine laying down through that. and in the pool i gave birth in a squat position.

hope this helps a bit~
July 28th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Can it be done? (say yes ) I can't afford a Bradley class because its 250 dollars and a 40 minute drive (gas!! and I'd need grandparents to watch my son). etc.

I have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way. Can I do it without a class? Any recommendations or thoughts? I have the option of laboring in water as well. I am also giving birth at a hospital with midwives.

About the Bradley Method, did you find that way of laying in the bed helpful? (there is a picture in the book)[/b]
Strange...you sound like me. Literally. Those are the two books I have read, upon all the research I've done online etc etc...I'm also doing a waterbirth with a midwife in a hospital. I'm totally confident that I can do this without a class. You have all the information you need already, those books taught you to trust yourself Good luck!
July 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I've done it. I don't know if a class would have made it better, but it wasn't so bad anyways. It was hard to remember to breathe - but I did it. I'm sure you could rent a video in lieu of a class for pointers.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search