We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Well I had my 37 week appointment and found out I was group strep B +. I'm so bummed! I was negative with my daughter and was really hoping that would be the case this time too. Now I have to stay at the hospital for 48 hours after. I really don't want to but my husand just doesn't feel okay with the birthing center. Also they want the antibiotics running for 4 hours before the baby is born. I don't want to go to the hospital that early. Even with my daughter I was only there for three hours before she was born. I'm hoping this labor will go even faster. Sorry it is becoming a rant I'm just bummed and no one seems to get why I'm upset.
Any ladies on here tested positive? Is it really that important to get the full four hours before? Any advice? Thanks ladies!
Why do you have to stay in the hospital for 48 hours after? I tested positive with both my boys. I had to stay for just so long with my first because they like to keep you and monitor but with my second I was out in around 24hrs. I have a friend who tested positive for strep b and was seeing a midwife. She asked if she could try a remedy at home and be tested again and the midwife agreed. She tested negative at her next test and didn't have to have anything prior to birth. I don't know what she did. She does alot of research online and found it somewhere but it changed her from a positive to a negative on the test.
I'm sorry I was negative but I worried about it through my whole pregnancy up until I was tested so I know why you're upset. Would your doctor agree to retest you? Maybe do a week of Hibiclens, probiotics and garlic and then see if you're negative?
Sorry! It is kind of a bummer. Since you are birthing in the hospital, sometimes you can try to treat it and test again. Many people treat it using probiotics, hibeclense, garlic, etc. Sometimes when people deal with a fast birth, they simply opt out of the antibiotics that way and take their baby home AMA (if the pediatrician is pushy about treating the baby). General protocol in most hospitals is to give the baby antibiotics if you do not get them. But you have to give consent for that to happen. Remember: your body, your baby. No matter what scare tactics the hospital tries to use, they cannot do anything without your permission. Good luck!
Previously known as ~~Que~~
Student Midwife, Doula, Placenta Specialist, and Lactation Counselor
It's been a couple years for me since I've done heavy research but if I remember correctly it RARELY ever passes to baby. The chance is so small that a lot of women don't even test for Group B b/c you have a better chance getting hit by lightning or some such thing
Weighing the pros and cons, you can skip the whole Group B thing and the antibiotics all together and be fine or you can take the antibiotics and deal with the aftermath of those wreaking havoc on you and baby. One option there is an extremely minimal/rare chance anything will happen to you or baby (with the group b), on the other hand there is a 100% chance of negatively impacting you and baby (with antibiotics).
Then again, that's completely up to you on how you feel about antibiotics and medication in general
ETA: Also, I love all things natural so the garlic and kefir are awesome. I'd also research kombucha and other probiotic foods
Personally, after I researched it (I was positive in my last pregnancy), I did not stress about it at all. I was a home birth. Research shows that water birth is just as effective as antibiotics in reducing transmission, so I just made sure to push the baby out in the water. I did a few natural things to help cleanse my digestive tract, but I never retested to see if I tested negative. Then I took the wait and see approach with the baby, and he's fine.
I was pos and made it to the hospital 45 minutes before my dd was born. They were suppose to give me antibiotics but didn't have time. They kept me 48 hours to observe my baby but she was/is fine. They get concerned when your water has been broken for a long time before delivery. My ped said he's never seen a case of infection from mother to baby so I don't think it's common at all.