Why risk it?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the epidural that is. What are some of the less talked about side effects of the epidural.

I think the number one risk not mentioned with epidural's is "the domino effect". ONce you have an epidural you are setting your self up for intervention after intervention.
July 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wondermeg
What about permanent paralysis?
<div align="center"></div>
July 24th, 2006, 07:44 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
'lazy uterus' - leading to postpartum hemmhorage.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 24th, 2006, 08:14 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epidural and I do not regret it because both DH and I would have missed our DD birth if I had to be put under w/ my planned c-section (will explain below). But I will say that they had to try in six different places and I have been having weird back problems ever since and unfortuantly I will have to have it again w/ my next birth.

explaination:
6 years ago, they found a large (size of a babys head) fibroid tumor, it was blocking my uriters causeing kidney infections. It was attached to the Fundus (the strongest part of the uterus now becoming the weakest). I was required to have a early c-section because there was a risk of rupture even from labour. I cried when I found out about the c-section right after the surgery cause my sister had just had a home birth. I am also saddened that I will probably never see a "real birth", But I will be awake w/ an epidural to witness my childrens. Cause it was amazing. I could still feel her kick right up till I could hear her cry.
July 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an epidural and it led to my 4th degree tear, as I had to lay on my back, my recovery was so much worse I would rather have a day of pain than to ever go through that again. After they put in the epidural, I lost my freedom and was no longer allowed to walk around the room or get out of the bed. They gave me a catheter so that I could pee. When the epidural wore off my legs tingled back in, and it hurt. They had to lift me from the bed to a wheelchair to move me to recovery because I was not capable of moving. I didn't have any visitors until two days after the birth because I was in such bad shape, apparently the recovery with a 4th degree tear is worse than a c section. We had such difficulty breastfeeding, my son wouldn't wake up for anything, which I later read is not uncommon with an epidural baby. He was more than a sleepyhead, I couldn't wake him and on day 4 I had to take him back to the hospital because he began turning yellow and his softspot was receding and he was dehydrated. Sigh. That's not at all what I see with mothers who go natural, they look great the next day and even right after the birth they look happy and at peace. I will do anything to avoid another tear like that. I didn't really know that much though when I was pregnant last time, the whole thing was new to me and I didn't see why not avoid pain? Really I didn't avoid pain, I just put it off and prolonged it.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 25th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Regular
I didnt have any problems when I had the epidural with #1 (although I didnt *want* it, but they needed to bring my blood pressure down and it worked), but the whole experience second time round (no pain meds) was sooooooo much more intense, fun, memorable and I was so PROUD of myself! I bonded so much faster with #2 because of this!
July 25th, 2006, 07:20 AM
http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm
number 25 talks about partial parylasis and there is a case story at the bottom of the page.

Here is another good one
http://www.kimjames.net/epidural_ris...de_effects.htm

and here is what the anesthesioligist will tell you

http://www.anesthesiacare.com/info/epidural/risks.htm
July 25th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I'm surprised to hear they would give one to bring blood pressure down, since one of the possible side effects is high blood pressure.

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
July 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My epi dropped my bp (and I have fairly low bp to begin with), dropped ds's heartbeat (into the 70's repeatedly), and made for a lazy baby, he didn't cry right away or nurse for 14 hours. I never want one again, unless I have to have a c-section, but I think I'd rather have a spinal.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Nina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nina
Just popping in to add my two cents! Hope you ladies don't mind.

I went all natural with DD and it was wonderful! I had a very easy labor and easy dilivery. It was text book perfect! Now, with DS I wasn't so lucky. Contractions started at 5 minutes apart and quickly went to 2 minutes and then to 1 minute. I literally had zero time to breath in between each one. I was in very active labor for 9 hours. I panicked, my BP went sky high, DS also started having a few problems, so they asked if I would reconsider having an EPI to relieve my body some. I didn't want it, but after the doctor explained that since things were going so fast and so hard, my body couldn't relax and it was causing a lot of problems for me. I opted for a walking EPI, which they could do, but it didn't work. Ten minutes after they put it in I could feel my contractrions again. I put myself at risk for no reason at all. I don't like having my back messed with. Next time we have another one, I will make it very clear that I DO NOT want an epi, I don't want them to even ask me! DH was kind of upset that it didn't even work, but, that is a risk. A risk I won't be taking again.

xxx

July 26th, 2006, 12:53 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear they would give one to bring blood pressure down, since one of the possible side effects is high blood pressure.[/b]
I know the doctor wanted me to have an epi because my BP was so high because of the preeclampsia. He said that it would keep me more calm and keep it from getting any higher. I guess they thought I might have a heart attack or something!!
July 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I think the side effect is that it lowers your bp not highers it.
July 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Oh yes, I'm gathering that.... lol...

July 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
im lurking because whenever number 2 comes i want to have as natural a vbac as possible.

i didnt enjoy my spinal, but i got it on the operating table before my section. i went through 24 hours of unmedicated induced labor and if i was progressing properly i prob would have went totally natural.

July 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Good luck with your vbac. It is getting harder and harder to find someone to do them even tough they have been proven to be just a safe as a repeat section.
July 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i really want to find a doc who will do it. or even a midwife. i dont want to have another c section in the least! and i think if i take a more "homeopathic" path towards delivery i wont have the same issues i had with my daughter.

July 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
One of my friends has had 2 VBACs and she's pg again, so she'll be having a third, barring any complications. She can't deliver at the hospital closest to her new house, so she's going to travel 2 hours for it, but its worth it to her!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 26th, 2006, 10:39 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Quote:
I had an epidural and I do not regret it because both DH and I would have missed our DD birth if I had to be put under w/ my planned c-section (will explain below). But I will say that they had to try in six different places and I have been having weird back problems ever since and unfortuantly I will have to have it again w/ my next birth.

explaination:
6 years ago, they found a large (size of a babys head) fibroid tumor, it was blocking my uriters causeing kidney infections. It was attached to the Fundus (the strongest part of the uterus now becoming the weakest). I was required to have a early c-section because there was a risk of rupture even from labour. I cried when I found out about the c-section right after the surgery cause my sister had just had a home birth. I am also saddened that I will probably never see a "real birth", But I will be awake w/ an epidural to witness my childrens. Cause it was amazing. I could still feel her kick right up till I could hear her cry.[/b]
What an amazing story. That's so neat how you were able to feel her kick and hear her cry as she was being born.

Were they able to remove the tumor?

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search