Childbirth classes

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies! I need your experience, observations and advise on the various childbirth classes available. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant and have not even looked into these much but need to make a move quickly as I know a lot of classes are 12 weeks or longer with limited availability.

This will be my first NCB and I'm very interested in the Bradley, Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies classes as I've heard rave reviews about these three lately. However I'm still getting very mixed information on how these clases generally are as I'm trying to pick which to go with. I know some of you have rave of the Hypnobabies, but then my midwife suggested this is a class more geared for women who are very easy going and easily directed so to speak? Easy going is simply not how I am. So now I'm confused and thinking maybe that's not the one for me? I'm most interested in a class that teaches DH and I the stages of labor and what's happening so we're more educated and less scared as well as getting tons of advise on techniques or positions to help easy labor pains and work through contractions.

I need some help quick. Can anyone give me a brief overview or rundown or any or all of these methods? I'd love to get some more advise on these to pick the classes best suited for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Memi; December 23rd, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
December 21st, 2012, 11:19 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went through a NCB class that our birthing center puts on. It's 7 weeks long and they require all first time moms to take a class so we took this one. I wasn't too interested in taking a Bradley Method class or Hynobabies because frankly I didn't want to have to think about any of that while in labor. Should I have researched more? Probably but at the time I didn't.

Our class taught the stages of labor along with what to expect right before and right after and so on. It was directed towards delivering at the birth center which really helped. We kind of got a preview as to what to expect in our experience, when to arrive, how to know when we're ready to arrive, stuff like that. Breast feeding was briefly covered. They taught us what to expect in the event of a transfer to a hospital and how a hospital birth works when it comes to NCB moms. It was informative in helping prepare and get things in order.
December 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I can't speak from experience about Hypnobabies, other than I have a few friends who loved it, and a few who said it didn't work for them. I think it *definitely* depends on your personality!!

We did Bradley with our second baby and LOVED it! My hubby, who thought he already knew it all, was blown away with how much he learned! I have seen several couples come out of the classes and the dad is just so confident! it's awesome! One of my favorite aspects of Bradley is that they teach you multiple different relaxation techniques, so you are not limited to just one, and can choose what works best for YOU when the time comes, or even change it up for the different stages of labor. I kind of feel like Bradley includes a little bit of the Hypnobabies concepts in their visualization and "sensory recall" relaxation techniques. It's not hypnosis, but it is deep relaxation of the mind.
anyway, hope that helps.

December 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would agree if you don't think Hypnobirthing is for you, than it probably isn't. My midwife told me I had a "lets get this done" attitude and she didn't think it was for me, so I trusted her on that. I would definitely recommend a natural birth specific class, because I know hospitals focus a lot on the epidural! I didn't think I needed a class with my first, but I really regret not taking one.

This time we're doing a home birth specific class, so I'm pretty excited about that!

December 22nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a Hypnobabies class and really enjoyed it. That said, the instructor had taught childbirth education for 30 years so I think she is probably way more educated and went way more in depth than most HB certified instructors would. She brought a bunch of her own materials and stuff on top of what Hypnobabies provides.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search