Anybody Know?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 2 Post By Kelllilee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
When and how did 36-37 weeks come to be the new definition of "full term"?

This is kind of a spin-off of the other thread, but I've seriously wondered what happened to 40 weeks with a two week window on either side...? If I'm doing the math right, that means 38 is full term.
GranolaMamaOf3 and gustka48 like this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
My midwife considers it 37-42 weeks. March of Dimes still considers it 39 weeks. I'm not sure where all the discrepancies come from.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

January 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Because 37 weeks the baby is no longer considered "premature" - important to note they are considered "late pre-term". And if you go into labor past 36 weeks drs will not try to stop labor. Hence women getting the idea that 36-37 weeks is "full term", even though that's not true. I'm not sure how much is doctors phrasing things poorly and how much is women making inferences.
GranolaMamaOf3 and ashj_1218 like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 9th, 2013, 04:12 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I never really thought about it. My birth center only allowed women to deliver there between 37-42 weeks and at 37 weeks you were considered full term. But they always emphasized how important it was to make it to 40 weeks and they did NO cervical checks until you were in labor. They also did not allow membrane sweeps until 41 weeks.
January 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskk826 View Post
My midwife considers it 37-42 weeks. March of Dimes still considers it 39 weeks. I'm not sure where all the discrepancies come from.
Ditto. March of Dimes does not recommend induction prior to 39 weeks, and even then, only if medically necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Because 37 weeks the baby is no longer considered "premature" - important to note they are considered "late pre-term". And if you go into labor past 36 weeks drs will not try to stop labor. Hence women getting the idea that 36-37 weeks is "full term", even though that's not true. I'm not sure how much is doctors phrasing things poorly and how much is women making inferences.
Good point!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search