Not sure if I can do it...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By keekopeeko
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Regular
Hi ladies!

My name is Jessica. I have a 2.5 yr old son and we're just starting to TTC #2. With my son, Avery, I had a pretty traditional birth and an epidural The epidural left me with a MAJOR headache for over a week and I had to stay in the hospital longer and have an extra procedure with fluid put back into my epidural site. So, needless to say I'm not excited about another epidural. I've pretty much made my mind up that I won't have one...but I'm so scared! I feel like I'm a big wimp and I don't know if I can do a natural birth.

Does anyone have experience with both? Was it a lot harder with a natural birth?

January 10th, 2013, 10:17 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did your baby get to stay with you the extra time?? My SIL had to go back to the hospital for a spinal headache and leave her baby home.. That TERRIFIED me! I knew I would not under any circumstances want that to be a reason for needing to leave my child so that is why I even went natural to begin with!!!

I've not done it both ways,. Just natural.. But I wanted to say if you go into it thinking one contraction at a time! And if you aren't really gung ho about all natural you could tell yourself you have other medication options (nubain etc)... And maybe that will just help you feel better.. Second labor and deliveries are generally faster anyhow! I bet you would be able to do it just fine!

January 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You should read the birth without fear blog... so inspiring!

I am allergic to anesthesia, so I knew ahead of time that I could not have an epidural. I prepared myself by taking Bradley Method classes, which are primarily focused on natural childbirth and natural parenting afterwards. I love every minute of Bradley Method and, although I had complete back labor (never felt a contraction in my uterus, just in my back), I was able to deliver naturally a healthy, 38 week 8lb 10oz boy. I'm SUPER excited to do it again a few more times you are born with the power to get that little baby out without medical intervention, and it is rare that any kind of intervention is actually necessary you can do it!!!
January 10th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Regular
Thank you so much. I did get to keep Avery with me the full time...he was never out of my sight except once to bathe....I was just miserable and had to lie flat basically the whole time.

Labor and delivery were a complete breeze with him. I was in labor less than 6 hours and pushed for just a little over half an hour....but I attributed the ease to the epidural. I'll definitely read up on it.

January 10th, 2013, 01:32 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's short!! You'll be great! You can handle anything for 6 hours!
Avery'sMommy430 likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've done both. It was "harder" pain wise to do it natural but easier in EVERY other way to do it natural. anyone can do it. Millions of women have. Epidurals didn't always exist. If you do it, you'll be glad in the end you did. I have mine in birth centers though because I know I would cave if I have a hospital birth (especially under the harassment of hospital personal)
January 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would recommend looking into Natural Child Birth classes because they focus on laboring techniques and pain management. You could also hire a doula who could keep you focused and set on your goal. You can definitely do it. Your body was made to do it and if not we would all pass out or die from the pain. I've heard of people passing out from the pain of broken bones but never from child birth. Honestly my tonsilitis hurt worst before they finally took them out. But childbirth is a manageable sensation in my opinion. And it brings a high you cannot replicate.
January 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
You can totally do it! Prepare yourself with knowledge and maybe even a doula, and you will do great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search