Your kids?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By Sk8ermaiden
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By Quantum_Leap

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 05:11 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
For those who have had a natural birth and a non-natural, do you feel that the birth made a difference in your child's disposition?

If you had a water birth for one and a "land birth" for another, do you feel like that birth experience made a difference on your child's disposition?

January 16th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran
I think if I had had more than one of each I could answer that better. With one born with meds and the other natural there are stark differences in their personalities. But who is to say there wouldn't have been the same differences had the births been reversed? I would love to hear moms of more than 2 chime in!
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

http://www.whereloveandfamilymeet.wordpress.com
http://www.wherelovemeetslife.wordpress.com
January 16th, 2013, 11:40 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think my births were dependent on their inborn personalities. Not the other way around.

My first is still a no-nonsense, not rushed, intellectual, gentle child. As was his birth, a mild, long labor that was pretty straight forward and required more mental energy than physical energy.

My second is a firecracker who likes to keep me on my toes and has very distinct ideas about how things will happen in his life. He is very physical. His birth was definitely not as I planned and he seemed to enjoy keeping me guessing to the very last second. His labor was more physically involved than mental.

I will be interested to see what happens this time around. Based on what I know of this baby's inborn personality, she is likely to be a physical birth and possibly a shorter one. We will see. But she is my most active baby in the womb and is also most likely to respond to me when I am bugging her or she hears me/the kids talking loud. So we will see
January 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I can't really say if their births had anything to do with their personalities. How to do make that conclusion?

My first was a hospital birth, no meds, water labor. She is very independant, incredibly smart, and a perfectionist

Second was a birth center waterbirth - she LOVES water, absolutely adores it. She is my gemini in every sense, dual personalities, etc...

Third was a home waterbirth - she also loves the water and is my "mama's girl" - much more cuddly and clingy than the other two.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 16th, 2013, 01:06 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had 3 natural and 3 different personalities.. Really don't think the labor and delivery has anything to do with the final out come. But it guess it could be fun to think about..

January 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only have one, but I do have 4 brothers and sisters, all who were born naturally, my oldest sister in the hospital and the rest of us at home. We all have different personalities that I would attribute more to our birth order than "how" we were born.

January 17th, 2013, 03:29 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think Mason's birth has anything to do with his lasting personality but I do think it had an affect on him those first few days. He was such a calm and peaceful baby and everyone told me it was due to his birth being natural. I like to tell myself that all that work was worth it
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I haven't noticed any difference personally.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 17th, 2013, 06:58 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
My first birth was a natural hospital birth, but I didn't arrive until I was 9cm dilated. Labored a bit in water, he was born on land. But then things got intense. On day 2 his respritory rate skyrocketed and he was found to have a pneumothorax and was kept in the NICU for a week, a few days of which I couldn't hold him or "stimulate" him in any way, so no breastfeeding etc.. (I pumped until we could continue). Anyway, all that to say his BIRTH was very simple and peaceful, but that first week was *rough*! He is very intellectual, curious about the world, emotionally sensitive and physical, but he is easily intimidated and is terrified of Drs and medical offices! I can't help but feel there is a connection...

My second has a completely different story, all around. He was a home water birth- much faster than my first, but similar in intensity. I consider his birth to be very spiritual for me, in that something about the process was very emotionally moving and taught me many lessons. So his birth was pretty straightforward, but then we dealt with colic and ppd, and that was a wild ride. His personality is so different than that of his brother. He is bold and confident - unafraid of life. But he also has a tender side that is very sensitive to the emotional needs of others and loves to cuddle...when he's not climbing and running!

I guess my conclusion is, its not just their birth that shapes their personality, but a combination of the pregnancy, their birth and the life surcumstances that follow shortly after, and then birth order and God given personality, that all shape the person they become.

Why am I so wordy?
therevslady likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Elizabeth was natural first and second stage, but then a spinal and c/s. She's the happiest, most easygoing kid, independent, sharp as a tack.

My theory on disposition is a lot more related to mom's emotions during pregnancy. My anecdotal evidence suggests a stressed out mom during pregnancy can produce a really high needs kid.

January 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Just curious. I've heard some people refer to their children and note their differences related to birth. Personally, all four of my kids have had very different births from one another. And they all are SUPER outgoing, hyper, and brilliant. Lol.

January 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Elizabeth was natural first and second stage, but then a spinal and c/s. She's the happiest, most easygoing kid, independent, sharp as a tack.

My theory on disposition is a lot more related to mom's emotions during pregnancy. My anecdotal evidence suggests a stressed out mom during pregnancy can produce a really high needs kid.
My second was a very stressful pregnancy (not baby related, just life). I attribute a lot of his colic to that.

January 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
My second was a very stressful pregnancy (not baby related, just life). I attribute a lot of his colic to that.
You know, it was just my pet theory based off my kid and my friends' kids, but I read an article recently. It was talking about the women who escaped the twin towers on 9/11 who were pregnant. It said not only did the children born show all the classic signs of PTSD (including hormonal markers), but that in the concentrations they had the markers it indicated that THEIR children would also have PTSD before it worked its way out of their genes.

These babies are sooooo hooked into us.

January 19th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
You know, it was just my pet theory based off my kid and my friends' kids, but I read an article recently. It was talking about the women who escaped the twin towers on 9/11 who were pregnant. It said not only did the children born show all the classic signs of PTSD (including hormonal markers), but that in the concentrations they had the markers it indicated that THEIR children would also have PTSD before it worked its way out of their genes.

These babies are sooooo hooked into us.
There is an excellent book that I just finished reading about that very theory, called "Origins" by Annie Murphy Paul: Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives: Annie Murphy Paul: Amazon.com: Books There is a LOT of research that shows that a mother's diet, environment, experiences, and even emotions during pregnancy can have a tremendous and lifelong impact on her baby. The truth that scientists are now discovering is that the whole "nature v. nurture" debate was always misframed, because the reality is that genes and the environment interact with one another. A baby is conceived with a certain set of genes, but then those genes can be either 'turned on' or 'turned off' in response to environmental cues (including environmental cues passed down through the mother during her pregnancy). I highly recommend this book! It's a fascinating read.
daneeleigh and therevslady like this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran
All of mine have been natural.

Before my 5th I would have said "yes" to water birth making a difference. 3 + 4 were water births and have laid-back dispositions. 1 + 2 were land births and a bit more high maintenance. But #5 was a lovely, peaceful water birth and she is certainly not a laid-back gal!!
January 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
There is an excellent book that I just finished reading about that very theory, called "Origins" by Annie Murphy Paul: Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives: Annie Murphy Paul: Amazon.com: Books There is a LOT of research that shows that a mother's diet, environment, experiences, and even emotions during pregnancy can have a tremendous and lifelong impact on her baby. The truth that scientists are now discovering is that the whole "nature v. nurture" debate was always misframed, because the reality is that genes and the environment interact with one another. A baby is conceived with a certain set of genes, but then those genes can be either 'turned on' or 'turned off' in response to environmental cues (including environmental cues passed down through the mother during her pregnancy). I highly recommend this book! It's a fascinating read.
I've really been looking into this and plan to do even MORE with my next pregnancy. I feel like I did the best that I knew to do with my last pregnancy. We're currently planning to start ttc and I"m already gearing my body up readying it for pregnancy. I want this womb to be perfect lol! I plan to eat better than I did and work out more than I did and just overall do a better job at keeping me healthy. I could have done more last time knowing what I now know. I love my son's disposition and personality but I'm trying to make sure I get that again lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search