Perineal Massage

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So my midwives are not....good. And we'll just leave it at that. Perineal massage was not mentioned at all (hasn't been the entire pregnancy) and I'm 32 weeks. Is grapeseed oil ok to use? Any good tutorials to help my husband help me?
January 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
It's a fairly controversial thing. Some studies are showing it actually makes it worse as it tightens that area rather than loosens it. I wouldn't consider a midwife "not good" because she didn't recommend it.

I have never done it, so I'm not sure what oils would or wouldn't be good...

here's a how-to article

Can perineal massage help me avoid an episiotomy? | BabyCenter

My midwives have all favored perineal support during labor to prenatal massage. Just for what it's worth. If you think it will help, then by all means go ahead!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They're not good for other reasons. Many many other reasons. I actually feel cheated because I thought I'd have to see OBs, found out I could see midwives and then when I have interactions with them I feel like I'm living people's OB horror stories. I'm 32 weeks and we haven't discussed delivery at all really. I'm supposed to get 20 minutes and today the one I saw spent 5 minutes and slammed the door in my face.
January 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Are there any other options in yous area for another care provider? If you really don't feel confident in them, it's never too late to switch!

I have never done perineal massage. My first came early, before I had a chance to start And with my second my midwife said they really didn't see any benefit in doing it. She said they found warm compress and massage during labor/pushing to be most effective.

But if you still want to try it, Olive oil is what I've read to use.
therevslady likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I agree that it's never too late to switch!

I've never done the massage, and I've never torn.

When people ask, I always recommend something like EPO or wheat germ oil.

January 19th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Changing providers would mean changing my insurance which would mess with providers I see for other things. I'm almost at the end, the money and stress involved in switching might not be worth it depending on who I switch to IF anyone has a spot open for me.
January 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I know it sounds complicated, but it may be worth checking into. Birth is such a deelpy meaningful event. You deserve to feel respected and supported <3
therevslady likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use Tricare. It's not particularly complicated. Just not financially or medically feasible.
January 21st, 2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran
Here's a good handout if you want more detailed information:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/...ealmassage.pdf

I personally haven't done perineal massage, but I have done the Internal Work detailed in the Pink Kit, which goes deeper (literally and figuratively) than perineal massage. I had three babies naturally before doing that, and never tore with them, but felt much more control over my pushing stage and working my babies out with the two that I did do it with. I've done it again preparing for baby #6.

I don't think perineal massage is a must-do, but I think some of the benefits are the increased awareness of the tissues of your pelvis. It gives you a chance to focus on that area, feel tension and relaxation in that area, and develop control. It also helps you become familiar with your tissues so you can, if you want, feel your baby's head descending, etc. I treasure my last two births where I reached in an felt myself that I was complete and felt those little curved heads moving through my tissues

Also, IMO, perineal massage (or Internal Work from the PKP) done respectfully and with awareness does *not* cause tissues to become more tense than they were before. There's a lot of change in just a short amount of time and you can feel it. It's encouraging to feel the change from the massage and also to feel just how much room your beautiful body has to open up

Just my 2 cents!
January 21st, 2013, 10:17 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I switched my care at 26 weeks and I too have Tricare. You can always call them and find out your options. Almost everyone I talked to was great and really helpful and there were NO billing issues. I say almost because I sometimes had to hang up and get some one else lol. But it was SOOO worth it.

As far the massage goes, I don't know much about the risks and didn't do it. I used EPO internally for several weeks and will again next time. I'm hoping that helped me. I had one small tear internally that needed stitches but it wasn't anything bad.
January 23rd, 2013, 11:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneeleigh View Post
I switched my care at 26 weeks and I too have Tricare. You can always call them and find out your options. Almost everyone I talked to was great and really helpful and there were NO billing issues. I say almost because I sometimes had to hang up and get some one else lol. But it was SOOO worth it.

As far the massage goes, I don't know much about the risks and didn't do it. I used EPO internally for several weeks and will again next time. I'm hoping that helped me. I had one small tear internally that needed stitches but it wasn't anything bad.
I KNOW my options. Which is why it's not feasible. It's feasible for PLENTY of other people just not me due to various factors that begin to come into play when looking at switching from Prime to Standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenburgess View Post
Here's a good handout if you want more detailed information:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/...ealmassage.pdf

I personally haven't done perineal massage, but I have done the Internal Work detailed in the Pink Kit, which goes deeper (literally and figuratively) than perineal massage. I had three babies naturally before doing that, and never tore with them, but felt much more control over my pushing stage and working my babies out with the two that I did do it with. I've done it again preparing for baby #6.

I don't think perineal massage is a must-do, but I think some of the benefits are the increased awareness of the tissues of your pelvis. It gives you a chance to focus on that area, feel tension and relaxation in that area, and develop control. It also helps you become familiar with your tissues so you can, if you want, feel your baby's head descending, etc. I treasure my last two births where I reached in an felt myself that I was complete and felt those little curved heads moving through my tissues

Also, IMO, perineal massage (or Internal Work from the PKP) done respectfully and with awareness does *not* cause tissues to become more tense than they were before. There's a lot of change in just a short amount of time and you can feel it. It's encouraging to feel the change from the massage and also to feel just how much room your beautiful body has to open up

Just my 2 cents!
That's something I haven't heard of before. I'll check out the link.
January 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If its important to you to get the birth you want, and you're not getting the care you are wanting, I would switch. At 32 weeks you still have a fair amount of time left. It's nothing you'll ever get to redo, even if you have 10 more kids - you can't redo this birth.

If you don't want to switch that's okay, but if you do be a self advocate and do it! It's good practice for labor

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 2nd, 2013, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
...The end is in sight and I feel like you ladies have a lot to offer so I want to stick around here because I really want a natural birth for my baby. Maybe it's because I do more reading than participating in here so you don't know me, and maybe it stings more than it should because I'm hormonal but my feelings are hurt. I feel like some of the comments and vibes I'm getting are what people are talking about when they say folks interested in the natural side of things are too militant.

I'm Tricare Prime. I see a therapist at the military treatment facility that I have a really good relationship with. I can't see her if I switch to Standard. Given the fact my husband was deployed most of the pregnancy and will be leaving very soon after if he even gets to stay and I don't think switching therapists and trying to build a new relationship at this time is a wise choice. If I'm not healthy I can't take care of my baby. In addition, if I were to go Standard, I could get a midwife who has privileges at a hospital but the one birth center in the area is closed to me since I'm too far along (not to mention they book up quickly). Homebirths run 3K in my area and I can't afford that by my due date especially with my husband needing some new things to go back out to sea. The main thing is I need to see a therapist and this is not a good time to switch. She's worked with me on non medical ways to stay healthy so that I can carry this baby and breastfeed throwing that away would be foolish. Because as I'm sure a great deal of you know not all mental health professionals are that supportive.

My spirit hurts a little bit having to share that because it's more than I typically share on a message board but I'd really like to be able to come in here and get feedback and prepare myself for my birth. And I'd love to be able to come in here triumphant and share my birth story with all of you because I've got a decent chunk of people IRL who don't think I can do this and I can't wait to prove them wrong while giving my baby the best start. Please no more badgering to switch. Please.
February 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I was actually coming back to find this thread because I just stumbled across this article on the evidence behind perineal massage, and thought it was interested (I learned a few things!). Science & Sensibility » What Is the Evidence for Perineal Massage During Pregnancy to Prevent Tearing?

I'm sorry for not seeing your last comment sooner. I'm so very sorry we've made you feel uncomfortable and bullied that was NOT my intention, but I can see how you would feel that way... I sincerely hope you will stick around. Peace Mama!

February 8th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's an interesting article! The statistics were really intriguing.

Part of me gets it. This is a major point in a woman's life and you want everyone that goes through it to be fully educated and experience it in the best way possible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search