What did you do with your Placenta?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Sk8ermaiden
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By MissusF
  • 2 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By windywoodsmama
  • 3 Post By KtKuKi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Did you, or are you planing to do anything special with your placenta? Make prints? Plant it under a tree? ...Consume it in some way?

I have been looking into having mine encapsulated this time. I thought about it last time but never did, and wished I had later after having such bad PPD. I'm just not sure how to go about it - pay to have it professionally done (looks like the going rate in my area is $200-$250! ) or save the money and do it ourselves - which I'm just concerned might be challenging to deal with in those first few days pp...

Here are some links I've found on the subject -

http://www.justmommies.com/pregnancy...to-give-it-try

Capsules - PLACENTA APOTHECARY

Mama Birth: Step-by-step Photographic Guide to Raw Placenta Encapsulation

The Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation for Postpartum Healing | Passionate Homemaking (This link includes several other websites to help locate a professional)

January 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to encapsulate it! But the evil hospital wouldn't let me have it. It went in the trash bin I'm sure.

This time I am pretty sure I an keep it! I'll be encapsulating it.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 08:37 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Both of the boys placentas had to be sent away for testing. Both were abnormally clotted and prematurely aged for their gestation. It probably has to do with the blood clotting condition I have. Although it was treated in Kierans pregnancy, so they really don't know why the placenta was not as healthy as it should have been. Thankfully, both boys figured out to come early and it didn't cause any issues (other than a short NICU stay for Liam because he was technically a "preemie" and had some breathing trouble).

This time, given the placenta is healthy and I am able to take it with me, we plan to encapsulate it. We did not have any one local who did it (and I am NOT doing it myself) until this year. And now she lives about 30 minutes away, so we will be giving the placenta to her to do. I don't mind the money, only because we are not having a doula this time around. Last time I didn't find it helpful or even comfortable to have someone else in the room with me. I truly relied more on my mom, who is totally for NCB. So we opted out of a doula and therefore dont mind spending a bit of money on something different. I figure with my third, I can use any energy I can get from those pills
January 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I wanted to encapsulate it! But the evil hospital wouldn't let me have it. It went in the trash bin I'm sure.

This time I am pretty sure I an keep it! I'll be encapsulating it.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

January 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
I wish we could encapsulate it. I've looked around and anyone around here who does it charges upwards of $1000. Between our midwife and doula costs we just can't swing another thousand dollars. If I could find someone for $250 I'd jump on that!

January 19th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskk826 View Post
I wish we could encapsulate it. I've looked around and anyone around here who does it charges upwards of $1000. Between our midwife and doula costs we just can't swing another thousand dollars. If I could find someone for $250 I'd jump on that!
ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS?!? Are they NUTS? Who can afford that? Okay so now I feel bad for complaining about the price....
ashj_1218 likes this.

January 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Great topic! I encapsulated the last two after having PPD twice. Someone blogged about one of my friends doing it:

Placenta Encapsulation | Photos | Process | How To | LeahAndMark.com | Atlanta Photographers

January 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I encapsulated it myself. It was so incredibly easy. I was worried that I wouldn't have the energy to deal with it right after having a baby so my midwife offered to help DH do it. I ended up doing it myself because dd slept pretty much all the time those first few days. There are quite a few steps involved but none of it takes much time and you don't have to babysit it while it cooks. I spent probably less than an hour all together getting it dehydrated and ground up.

This is how I did mine:
1. rinsed it in cold water and strip the membrane off
2. cut off the cord and saved it to dehydrate as a keepsake
3. steamed the placenta in a veggie steamer basket with some lemon slices
4. sliced it into thin strips and laid it out with the cord on a cookie sheet
5. dehydrated it on the lowest heat setting in my oven. This took a few hours and I would occasionally take the cookie sheet out and snap off the pieces that had completely dried and put the mushy ones back in.
6. ground it up in a coffee grinder
7. put it into capsules.

It was sooo easy. Steaming it and dehydrating it are the only parts that are time sensitive. And once it's in the oven you can pretty much forget about it. The heat will be so low it won't burn or anything. After mine was fully dried I popped it in the freezer for a few days because I didn't feel like grinding it up and filling all those capsules. Then I ground it and realized what a chore it is to fill capsules without a pill filler so it sat in powder form for a few days too. Next time I will probably skip the capsules all together and just mix a teaspoon of the powder into juice. Filling the pills was by far the most time consuming part.
GranolaMamaOf3 and daneeleigh like this.

January 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I had mine encapsulated last time, they are still in my freezer LOL. I may take them after this baby is born. I have a friend who does the encapsulation and she worked out a trade with me, so it cost me like $30

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran
I have five placentas in my deep freezer :O Hopefully a sixth any day now!! They have been waiting until we moved to our land and we plan to plant a tree (probably in our little orchard) over each one.

Now that we're finally here I hope we'll get to the planting this spring. I'm fascinated by encapsulation but don't think I'd ever actually try it!
January 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to encapsulate mine but when I had Mason and we all saw his placenta the Midwives were all blown away by it because I unknowingly had a velamentous cord insertion. The cord was attached to the wrong part plus it was split right where it inserted that they asked if they could keep it lol. They wanted to use it for their classes and I agreed. I sooooo wish I would have taken a picture but there's hardly any pictures of me and the baby. I definitely didn't think to take a picture of that. I could kick myself now!!!
January 22nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dad is going to encapsulate mine. When I told him the cost ($200), he ran off to the computer to google how to do it. He came back 20 minutes later and said he could do it...so he's doing it He's all about cooking things and he loves working with anything "odd". I need to buy the capsules and the encapsulator but I think thats all. I didn't have PPD with DD, but for some reason, I'm concerned about it this time, so I figure I should take all the precautions I can.

January 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Well, the first four were born in the hospital so I guess it was just thrown out. #5 we didn't know what to do with it, so we just buried it under our compost heap. #6 we gave to the midwife- she had a true knot in her cord, so mw wanted to keep it. #7 we also buried. Probably do the same this time.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 23rd, 2013, 04:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had placenta prints made with my last 2, and had it encapsulated after my last birth.

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search