Blessways...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By BeckyBozeman
  • 1 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Has anyone here had one? What was it like? What all did you do?

I am planning a blessingway for my dear friend and my God-daughter's mom. So far I have planned:
-Introductions and birthstories
-Write down affirmations to send and read during labor
-Pray blessings over beads and add to necklace
-Henna for mom's belly and each participant's wrist.

What else? Am I missing something? Is that enough?

January 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I haven't had one myself, but have been to a couple. The only other thing they did was make quilt squares with some sort of uplifting message or thought or something birthy.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My friends gave me one and, in addition to what you have listed, they did some pampering of the mama (massage, pedicure, essential oil scalp massage), they decorated onesies for the baby and they did food and gifts.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

January 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Ah yes! we'll have food and we're taking donations to help her pay her midwife, since she's struggling with that.
Earthy.Mama likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had one before I had my second son. We did all three of the first things you listed and it was actually plenty to fill up 3 hours. The bead ceremony was pretty long and it was my favorite part. We didn't think of henna at all, but I generally don't love people touching me, so it was probably a good thing to skip it

Sounds so wonderful of you to throw one for your friend. I loved mine and I still love looking at the necklace and remembering each bead and who gave it to me (and why).
January 23rd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is such a special thing to do for your friend.
January 27th, 2013, 12:20 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I've never had one, but would love it! My sister had one with her baby, but I wasn't able to go (out of state ).

She said one thing they did was to have everyone sit in a circle and they all sang a song while one person went around the circle and wrapped a piece of ribbon/yarn around each woman's wrist, until they were all connected - to symbolize unity. Once the circle was complete they cut the yarn in-between each person, and then tied it onto their wrist to wear until baby was born, as a reminder to pray/send positive thoughts and energy to the mother in her final weeks of pregnancy.

I've also heard of sending candles home to be lit when the mother goes into labor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search