BTDT- Tips for a FTM

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to go natural for the birth of my daughter in May. I have tons of support from my midwife and husband.

Any advice or tips to get me through the times when I think "can I actually do this" or "the hospital staff is really gonna pressure me to get something"

I have some bible verses that I have memorized and printed on bright paper for focal points.

Really any advice would be great: best position, your go to relaxation technique, etc.
February 8th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
On a postive note, I've delivered all of them without pain meds or pressure and all were in hospitals

My biggest tip for a hospital is to wait and go in late. With my first I was in pretty intense labor for 14 hours at home, my water broke on the way there, and I was 9 cm when I got there

Having great support is awesome. I know you will do well! Knowledge is so much power!!

February 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first birth was not natural, I had planned to do it that way, but didn't do a lot of reading and didn't take a class. I was sure it was a natural life process and my body would know what to do. Well, my baby got stuck, the nurses were no help,and I didn't know what to do! I would HIGHLY recommend a natural birthing class. They will teach you techniques for coping with pain, and positions to get your baby moving. This is the best advice I could give to anyone! We are finishing up our class this week, and I feel so much better about this birth.

February 9th, 2013, 05:20 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I agree with the other ladies. Only thing I would add is that there is no "best" position or coping technique for labor other than whatever works for YOU at the time. It's awesome that you have good support, and if you keep reading and thinking about what fits your personality, you will have plenty of options to try and use when the time comes.

Congratulations and Blessings!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 9th, 2013, 06:05 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
If you are a Christian, you should check out Birthing Naturally

There are lots of great devotionals and topics on there that can prepare you.

That being said- my own personal advice if you are worried about communications between you and the hospital staff in regard to pressuring to things outside of your birth plan, is to GET A DOULA!!!! Can I say that like fifteen hundred times?! Lol.

Also, just try to be as positive as possible, and do not try to be a people pleaser. Doctors and nurses sometimes do not like to be questioned. Sometimes they feel threatened if you ask them the benefits, risks, and alternatives of their suggestions- but it's good that in every intervention that the entire birth team is able to consider all options involved. But do let let it sway you if they are taken aback by your questions if/when you have any.

Also- I see so many natural hospital births all the time. It's so easy to hear the negative stories, and it's great to be aware of them so that you can be prepared. But really, natural hospital births are possible and happen every day. Be aware of all of your options, the standard of care your provider gives, and you will do just fine.

February 9th, 2013, 06:17 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Oh! I just found these- http://birthingnaturally.net/forms/topics.pdf

February 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doula was my lifesaver even at a birth center. I really think my midwives were on the verge of transferring me but my Doula has a great relationship with them. She saved my labor honestly!

I would take a NCB class focused on delivering at a hospital. It can explain your options better and what to expect.

I think you'll find what works best for you. My NCB class went over tons of positions but once in labor I just went with what felt good, which was rocking on my birth ball or in the shower.
February 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Themrs0523's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you all so much! I appreciate the encouragement and I will continue to do my research! Thank you for the links as well, I am a Christian and I look forward to really diving into this info
February 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A few more tips...

Take it one contraction at a time. Don't focus on the clock, how long you've been in labor, how many more contractions you will have to endure.... just focus on getting through the one at the moment.

I really liked having a cold wash rag on my face? That might just be me...

To help avoid pressure from the nurses, I ask them first thing to not mention an epidural at all---if I decide I want one, I will ask for one.

I believe a positive attitude is extremely important. "I made it through that contraction!", "I'm getting closer", "This pain won't last forever", "This is a natural thing that I'm made to do."

With my first pregnancy I labored to 10cm without pain meds, but when it came time to push they realized she was breech. Up until that point, the contractions hadn't been nearly as bad as I had expected. But once I realized I was having a c-section and there was no longer a point to the pain--contractions started to hurt REALLY bad.

Keep researching! The more you know the better. I hope you have a great experience!
February 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I've never been there, but everything I've read is what the ladies here have already said. Labor at home as long as you can, try different positions to see which one works best at the time, contact a midwife or doula if you can, and research, research, research. Good luck!

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search