Lets talk: Water-Birth!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Water-Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity?

Is this something you would be interested in?

Does your hospital/Birthing Center allow water births?

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part?

What kind of tub/pool did you birth in?
therevslady likes this.

February 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Water-Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity?My midwife said almost all of her moms use a tub, either to labor or birth in.

Is this something you would be interested in? I plan to use one. I want to give birth in it, but if it doesn't work out, I know I'll appreciate having it to labor in.

Does your hospital/Birthing Center allow water births?We're having a home birth, so yes, we can have it

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part? Hopefully I'll be able to answer this in a month or so!

What kind of tub/pool did you birth in?]
I think it will be the pro grade la bassiene or something like that.

February 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Water-Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity? Definitely rising in popularity in my area

Is this something you would be interested in? Yup! We have a birthing tub arriving 2 weeks before my due date

Does your hospital/Birthing Center allow water births? It does, but they are very strict about it and only have 1. We are planning a home birth though so hopefully that won't be an issue

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part? Hopefully I can answer this in a few weeks

We ordered an AquaDoula, has a heater to keep the water nice and warm

February 9th, 2013, 05:25 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Water-Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity? I don't think it's just you!

Is this something you would be interested in? Yes, I tried it with my first homebirth (fifth baby), but it just wouldn't be possible with the house we're in now.

Does your hospital/Birthing Center allow water births? There is a hospital about 60 miles away that offers it for sure but we don't plan to use them.

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part? Honestly, I think my favorite part was the thought of it while I was still pregnant. When I was in actual labor, though, the tub was uncomfortable and the water temperature was wrong even though they tried adjusting it for me like a dozen times, LOL! I didn't end up staying in the tub.

What kind of tub/pool did you birth in? We had a large "garden" tub where we used to live.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I agree! I feel like more an more moms are choosing water as a birthing option!

Yes! I've planned for two water births, but had one.

There are two hospitals in Ga that have their own tubs. One or two other hospitals allow you to bring your own.

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part? Nothing to dislike about it! It was awesome! I loved that I could move as easily as I needed in the water, it did a great job relieving the pressure, it contained the "mess."

I have an Aquaborn pro. It was given to me as a gift from a client.

February 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Water-Birth - Is it just me or does this seem to be rising in popularity? Sort of. NCB still accounts for such a small percentage.

Is this something you would be interested in? I was and still am. I ended up getting out of the tub last minute so it could cool down and found out I was fully dilated. They asked if I wanted to get back in the tub but I couldn't move and no longer cared in that moment. I wish I would have gotten up but he probably would have fallen out lol.

Does your hospital/Birthing Center allow water births? Birth center, yes.

If you have had a water birth, what was your favorite and least favorite part? I loved laboring in the water. Took ALL the pressure I was feeling in my back away. Unfortunately the other pressure came as soon as I got in. I really feel like that relaxation it gave me through me right into transition.

What kind of tub/pool did you birth in? It was a LARGE bathtub that is fixed at the center.
February 9th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Of course I'm planning a waterbirth!! I love it I dont' have much energy right now to do a thorough post though...

jhmomofmany - just a note, My last baby was had a waterbirth in our tiny little 800sq ft house with like 10 people there. It was crowded, but worked out! We had to block our pantry and cram it in between the living room/dining room right in front of the front door, but we made it work! haha
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
jhmomofmany - just a note, My last baby was had a waterbirth in our tiny little 800sq ft house with like 10 people there. It was crowded, but worked out! We had to block our pantry and cram it in between the living room/dining room right in front of the front door, but we made it work! haha
If things work out with the midwife and if she has a tub I could use, I might try it again. Do the tubs usually have heaters? Our access to hot water is limited and our well is *very* cold. The other drawback is that I would also have to set it up in the living room and I'm just not the type to labor surrounded by my family, much prefer to be alone or nearly so.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 10th, 2013, 06:24 PM
ours did not have a heater, but I think some do. We were able to fill it about just over halfway from the tap and then after a while we added more a little at a time.

February 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I just feel like amongst the NCB community it is becoming more and more common.

Yes! I labored in water for a bit with my first baby, but the hospital didn't allow water births. I had a home water birth with my second and we are planning another with this baby.

Ditto to Que - a few of the local hospitals allow it. There aren't any free-standing birthing centers, yet!

It has been said that water is nature's epidural, and I wholeheartedly support that! It was sooo relaxing! I also loved how *clean* I felt after my water birth, compared to my "land" birth - which really surprised me! The only part I didn't like was after the birth, we had the water pretty deep (so it would cover my lower back while on hands and knees) and my baby had a short cord, so I was having to hold my baby with one arm, and hold myself up out of the water a little with the other arm. Next time my husband will be in the pool with me to help support me after the birth.

We bought an Aqua Born (same as Que posted), and I LOVE it! Im tall and I had plenty of room to be able to stretch out and move freely, and there was still room enough for my husband to get it. The top it comes with is super handy for keeping the water warm while not in use.

February 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM
lindsaylyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if this is an option at my hospital, but what about the mess? It would concern me for all of that to be floating around with me, I don't even like to put my hands in dirty dishwater LOL

I know I felt dirty enough from the "land" birth

Did you shower right away after the water birth?
February 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaylyn View Post
I'm not sure if this is an option at my hospital, but what about the mess? It would concern me for all of that to be floating around with me, I don't even like to put my hands in dirty dishwater LOL

Like I said, I was really surprised at how *clean* I felt after my water birth! After my "land" birth I felt so dirty and sticky I went and took a shower immediately! But after my water birth I felt really clean and fresh. I didn't shower until the next day. Up until the end, it was perfectly clean (my water doesn't break until crowning), but even then the water really want's that gross. At least, that was my experience.

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; February 11th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
February 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Water birth does seem to have increased in popularity lately, yes. I attempted a water birth with my first and had to get out of the tub because I wasn't pushing effectively in there. With my second, I attempted to labor in a regular bathtub, but found that I was annoyed being too warm and wet. Neither time did it help with pain relief as I was hoping it would. I have both front and back contractions and the back contractions hurt WAY worse. The water did nothing for my back the first time and I don't think it did anything at all to help alleviate any pain the second time around.

I don't think I'm interested in even trying for a water birth this time around. I've had two successful and fantastic births with birth stools now and I like that the birth stool utilizes gravity to help get baby out. I have been practicing my squatting this pregnancy (though mostly not with heels on the ground, so only half effective practice, perhaps?) and plan to not push and allow my body to do the work like I did with Orion's birth.
GranolaMamaOf3 and daneeleigh like this.

February 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's definitely not for everybody. My older sister wanted a water birth, but her labor got very long (30+ hours of intense back labor) and the water seemed to relax her too much, slowing contractions down whenever she got in the pool. She too needed the extra help of gravity to get her baby out. It's nice that we have options so we can choose what works for us!

February 11th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaylyn View Post

I didn't think it was gross at all. In fact, all the vernix floating in hot water made my skin feel incredibly smooth for a week afterwards! I like holding a baby that's all clean instead of gooey after the birth too.

I did take a shower after i got out of the tub before snuggling up in bed.

February 11th, 2013, 08:11 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
What about the mess?

There was no mess when I had a water birth- perfectly clear water. My doula scooped up a couple pieces of amniotic sac that broke off with a fishy net. The thing I love about water births is how clean they are. I also felt horrible and gross after land births. I even got a rash on my butt after one of my births in a bed, because it took them so long to change my sheets in the hospital. I remember thinking to myself how anxious I was about getting cleaned up. The shower couldn't come fast enough! But after my water birth I felt fine. My midwives still walked me to the bathroom and showered me off anyhow because they wanted me to rest after they left my house. Sometimes midwives will do a very relaxing candle light herbal bath for moms at home births even if they have a water birth. It's lovely.

February 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My last 4 were waterbirths and I loved them! This one I'm at a different hospital that doesn't do waterbirths .

But I loved it. I wasn't one of the luck ones with clear water at the end though, just to prepare others

February 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is!

Of course!

My freestanding birth center does. NONE of the hospitals here do. They SAY they do, but it's almost impossible to get a birthing tub, and even then you can only use it for labor, not birth (not the same thing, IMO, and I wouldn't want to be moving around just before I'm ready to push, plus connected to an IV the whole time which the hospitals here never let you sign a waiver not to use...)

I LOVED it. It just felt so natural to deliver in the water. I can't imagine delivering on "land" now HAHA. My least favorite part was pushing the baby out, though I think it woulda been worse out of the water.

just the tub they had at the birth center.
therevslady likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't think I know anyone who has done one - probably because they don't allow it here and everyone I know who had their babies recently had them here. The hospital does have tubs but they are for laboring only. Since it's not an option, I've never considered it much.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 16th, 2013, 06:55 AM
shannon789's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it seems like a beautiful way to give birth, and I am pretty envious of the ladies that get to give it a go!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search