Switching care providers?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By MapleGranola
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Is there anyone here who had to switch care providers in efforts to have more options available in regards to natural birth? Did anyone have a care provider who you just KNEW would make things difficult? How far along were you when you changed? Do you feel making the change made a difference in your labor and birth? Tell me all about it. I think it's great for other moms to hear about changes in care, because it's something many of us face at some point every once in a while.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
When I was pregnant with my 3rd I wanted to change doctors, but didn't. I thought it was "too late" and boy, did I regret sticking with him! His treatment of me during that delivery left me feeling literally like I had been physically and sexually assaulted. Then, stupid me, I saw him for the 6 week check and left feeling even worse. I vowed after that, I would NEVER put up with a doctor I didn't like for any reason.

I switched care at 25ish weeks for my fifth pregnancy. Switched from an OB to a homebirth midwife because I finally convinced DH it was the right thing for us to do.

I am currently in the process of switching from an MD (family doc) to a CNM. I thought I could put up with using the doctor for prenatal care and then the plan was to just go unassisted to birth at home. I didn't think there was a midwife in our area, but I started digging around and found one! I meet her on the 22nd- I'll be 24ish weeks.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had switched very early with my first. I went to my regular OBGYN, who I had really liked. However, when I went in, I explained how my mom had had home births and I would do that if I were more comfortable, and that I really wanted a natural birth. She told me my mom was crazy and that she didn't accept birth plans at all. She said that if I refused an epidural that she thought I needed, she would walk out on me during labor. Well, I would have walked out on her right then, but I wasn't dressed, so I sat there nodding my head till she was done, and we never went back.

February 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtKuKi View Post
I had switched very early with my first. I went to my regular OBGYN, who I had really liked. However, when I went in, I explained how my mom had had home births and I would do that if I were more comfortable, and that I really wanted a natural birth. She told me my mom was crazy and that she didn't accept birth plans at all. She said that if I refused an epidural that she thought I needed, she would walk out on me during labor. Well, I would have walked out on her right then, but I wasn't dressed, so I sat there nodding my head till she was done, and we never went back.
OMG! Peapole like that make me so mad!! I have a hard time believeing they have the patients best interest in heart when they are willing to so quickly *abandon* them in labor just because they disagree on/refuse somthing! Who's body is it?!

Okay, stepping off my soap box...

February 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
I started this pregnancy out with a very large OB practice because that was the standard. I grew very uncomfortable with them almost immediately. I had one of the OBs tell me I would for sure have a preterm baby because all her patients who have the same profession as me go preterm, completely ridiculous. When I asked if I would have a choice of the NICU my baby would be sent to if I did go preterm she told me no way they pick.. I told her right away that didn't sit well with me because I trust one of the hospital much more than the other one. I mentioned that I guess I would be driving myself to the hospital far away if I went preterm and she flat out told me that was the dumbest thing she had ever heard. They argued with me when I refused an internal during the first tri when I had recently had a pap and I KNOW for a fact I have no STDs. My final straw was when I was checking out after an appt and they called a new patient in who looked very far along, they didn't even take her into a room or take her vitals before she said "I'm so uncomfortable and ready for baby to be here" the OB replied okay great, go back out to the desk and find out when my next availability for an induction is. Now maybe there was more to her story, but being uncomfortable is not a reason to induce in my opinion. I'm so so happy I left the practice and found a midwife.
NinjaCakes likes this.

February 13th, 2013, 09:44 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Good lord, the horror stories. I hate what obstetric medicine has become. The bad doctors give all the good ones a terrible image, not to mention all the insane hospital policies.

I just switched this month. I had been given a random OB for my cervical LEEP two years ago and I never liked her - my (and others) descriptions of her sum up to 'stone cold b*tch.' She's cold, rude, and incredibly inconsiderate. At my first pap (first EVER in my life) I was so tense she couldn't get the tool in, so she jumped me about needing to relax, never considering that maybe a pap would be incredibly stressful for a sexual abuse victim. Then the biopsy tool wasn't sharp enough, so they had to take SIX samples instead of three! I came ready to vomit and left in tears. But as I was reasonably stressed at the time and I didn't expect to have to see her more than a few times, I didn't switch.

I knew I didn't want her for my pregnancy. Due to the early complications I had I got pushed into seeing someone right away, before I had picked a new doctor. I didn't think it would be an issue. I saw her for follow up of my ER visit, and for one prenatal appointment - she did an internal exam with her fingers (which I know very well is not medically necessary and was very painful) without asking OR telling me beforehand! That was the last straw for me. When I went to switch to the doctor I had been recommended by almost everyone, I was told that the hospital does not allow you to switch OB's - if you've seen someone once, you have to stay with them. Not only that but if you go into labor and the male OB is who is on call, you cannot have someone else. My head probably flipped upside down during that phone call. I have had enough people in my life walk all over my wishes and physical rights. I was not about to just accept that a hospital could tell me who I had to see and allow to touch me, no matter what I wanted or how I felt about them. My body is my own and nobody touches me if I don't want them to - especially not a man. That is the end of it.

Being such a small town we only have one hospital, and they have a very poor reputation and a monopoly on local health care. Everyone in Quincy jokes that Blessing is more likely to kill you than cure you. I called the only two other places; one only had a man available, but fortunately the other took me on without fuss. It took some time and paperwork but I have left Blessing behind and will never go back. I just met my new OB on Friday and I love her already She is respectful, friendly, and she listens to me as well as informs me. When I left my appointment I didn't feel like I had been rushed or pushed off, or as if my baby and I don't matter. She took all of my concerns seriously. I'm so glad I switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
I vowed after that, I would NEVER put up with a doctor I didn't like for any reason.
That is exactly why I fought so hard to switch doctors. Nobody should ever have to feel like that after seeing their doctor. My health care advocate told me years ago that you never have to see a doctor you don't like. It is your right to choose your HCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtKuKi View Post
She told me my mom was crazy and that she didn't accept birth plans at all. She said that if I refused an epidural that she thought I needed, she would walk out on me during labor.
That literally made me pause. What an insane woman! Who the h*ll does she think she is to impose anything on another woman's body?! I feel sorry for any woman who birthed with her.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I switched in my second pregnancy from a giant practice to a smaller one. OB to OB. It was OK care, but nothing compared to the care of a midwife. The midwife I wanted had just been fired so I wasn't able to go with her.

She finally started her own practice in my third pregnancy, so I changed care providers again during my third pregnancy. There was a drastic difference in my entire wellbeing and I give credit to my amazing midwives.

During my third pregnancy, I changed care to a home birth midwife but continued to receive shadow care from my regular midwife.

I could never go back to OB care after having such great care from midwives. It's life changing.

February 16th, 2013, 07:28 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i switched at 16 weeks with my first from an OB to a midwife group in the same clinic. it was the OB's recommendation, and i loved the midwives. She (the OB) was pretty supportive of my birth plan, but she said the midwives tend to accidentally allow water birth, and she generally didn't and they would be a better fit..and they were.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I switched at 26 weeks from my OB to my birth center. Best decision ever!!!!!! I had to change my insurance from Prime to Standard but I still ended up paying nothing. I didn't care at that point, I was so done with my OB. I hadn't committed to a natural birth at that point. I wasn't too sure I wanted one but I just knew the care I was receiving from my OB was none existent. I literally wrote down every question I had at my last appt so I could fire them off quickly because I knew I wouldn't get much time. I never finished my list before she was out the door...... I was done done done. I went to the birth center and had a great experience.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search