Raised Gardens-- I know, not a birth question...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM
shannon789's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to get opinions on what material I should use to build a raised vegetable garden. Do any of you have one?? If so, what material did you use??
February 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Whatever dirt and organic material you have on hand will work. The last beds we built we used dug up sod from the surrounding area (to make something like a walk way), manure and material from mucking out winter pens (we keep a few goats and chickens), leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, etc. If you have access to woods, the dirt and material from under and around rotting tree stumps is excellent to add as well. And our soil is very heavy clay so we've tried to add sand when we can find it.

Have you read square foot gardening? We don't exactly follow that, but he explains very nicely how to build up your soil. If you haven't, google it and pretty much everything in the book is available online.

We are at 6* F and have about four feet of snow on the ground with more coming down.... I can't wait to get out and garden!!
shannon789 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't have one, but I have friends that do - a mother and a son actually. The mother says she uses plastic because it lasts a long time and it's eco-safe. The son says he uses raw red cedar because most lumber is treated with things that can be unsafe for you, and also seep into the soil.

I hope that's what you're asking about! If not at least I learned something today
shannon789 likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 16th, 2013, 06:18 PM
We bought some Cedar fencing material--- which was way more affordable than the super thick Cedar. I'm hoping it will work--- I heard that cedar is less likely to rot naturally, so we'll see how it goes.

This is my first year of gardening, I'm really excited!!
February 16th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Oh, gosh, I thought you were asking about what to put in the beds, not building the frames, LOL!
shannon789 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Oh, gosh, I thought you were asking about what to put in the beds, not building the frames, LOL!
I'll be asking that question here in about a week or two, once I get the frames up!! Thanks so much for all the info!!!! I'm really excited.
February 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Is this your first year gardening? We didn't get a garden put in the last two years, and I'm anxious to have at it again.

February 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I don't have any advice for you, but I'm hoping to get in at least a small vegetable garden this year! I'm a bit cautious to get too involved with baby due in the middle of harvest season, but I want some fresh veggies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search