17 week appointment

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lindsaylyn
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I had my 17 week appointment this past Friday. Everything looks good. My uterus was measuring small last time (I have a tilted uterus, so that was no surprise) but this time I was measuring ahead at 19 weeks! Baby's heart rate has slowed a bit from the 160's it was at to 140's. I guess that's normal? My blood pressure was low again and my urine test was clear, so everything looks good.

The only discouraging part was my weight gain. I have gained 20 lbs already! and I'm only 17.5 weeks! Now my midwife was not at all concerned by this; I'm not a big girl to start with, and I *know* I'm eating healthy whole foods. I don't believe in limiting calorie intake for pregnant women. I think when we eat healthy our bodies gain what they need to... but really? 20 lbs seems excessive to me... I know I'm just being vane, but the thought of how huge I'm going to be in the end... I'll be honest, I cried that afternoon.

(I gained 35lbs with my first baby born at 37 weeks, and 40lbs with my second born at 41 weeks. and I felt huge with my second!)

I always gain in the first trimester. Unfortunately, because of my miscarriage and this pregnancy being a surprise I had two first trimesters right on top of each-other, so that's not helping anything. I know I need to stop thinking about it, but I'm really bummed...

Okay. That's my whine for the day

February 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everything is great.
February 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
lindsaylyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As long as you are eating healthy foods, don't worry about the weight! It will come off soon enough once baby is here!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
February 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am having a similar weight "issue" this time. Its tough not to get concerned when you are not eating excessively and still are putting on weight substantially. But it is normal for some women, in some pregnancies. And you never know, you might be a gainer in early pregnancy this time and stop at 30 weeks (I did that with my second...gained 26lbs at 30 weeks and then only 3 more in the next 7 weeks). I think as long as you know you are making good choices and doing what you can, I would not be concerned. It doesn't sound like you have a hard time taking it off afterward (by your comment about not being a big girl to start). So it could just be what your body needs this time around.

I am up about 28lbs at 26 weeks. My previous gains were 0 and 29 with both delivering about 37 weeks. So this time, I KNOW I am going to at least 40, if not beyond. And I just have to allow it to happen. I am carrying totally differently this time, so that makes a difference too. Not to mention AT LEAST five of those pounds is boob. Lol. I have gained two cup sizes and a band size size since starting. And I wasn't a small girl up top to start. Apparently this one wants to make sure her food supply is secure

But glad the rest of the appt went so well and all is measuring right on track! Sounds pretty good all around!
February 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I am having a similar weight "issue" this time. Its tough not to get concerned when you are not eating excessively and still are putting on weight substantially. But it is normal for some women, in some pregnancies. And you never know, you might be a gainer in early pregnancy this time and stop at 30 weeks (I did that with my second...gained 26lbs at 30 weeks and then only 3 more in the next 7 weeks). I think as long as you know you are making good choices and doing what you can, I would not be concerned. It doesn't sound like you have a hard time taking it off afterward (by your comment about not being a big girl to start). So it could just be what your body needs this time around.

I am up about 28lbs at 26 weeks. My previous gains were 0 and 29 with both delivering about 37 weeks. So this time, I KNOW I am going to at least 40, if not beyond. And I just have to allow it to happen. I am carrying totally differently this time, so that makes a difference too. Not to mention AT LEAST five of those pounds is boob. Lol. I have gained two cup sizes and a band size size since starting. And I wasn't a small girl up top to start. Apparently this one wants to make sure her food supply is secure

But glad the rest of the appt went so well and all is measuring right on track! Sounds pretty good all around!
Thank you! I've always gained fairly steadily throughout my pregnancies, but I guess this one could be different and slow down in the end... I hope I do lose the weight fairly easily, which is my only consolation. My husband doesn't understand why it upset me. He's like "You know you will loose it all breastfeeding". But I just remember how fat I felt those first few months, and it's not even a flabby tummy - which to me would be expected. My butt just felt HUGE and nothing fit! My hips have no problem spreading to accommodate a baby, lol!

February 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I could have written this post!

First, congrats on a great appt and baby growing!

Number 9 for me, my last one, I gained only 16 lbs and he was 9lbs 14 oz at birth. I walked out weighing less than I was at my first visit.

Now, I didn't tell you that to depress you I promise . This pg, same eating habits, everything. I'm 29 weeks and I've gained 25 lbs. I am really running out of skirts and shirts that fit. It's depressing to me as well. My hubby continues to be great and compliments me on how great I look, and I tell him he's lying . But I do believe our body will do what it needs to, and really it can come off afterward. Every pg is different. Please know that and that it not something you are doing wrong.

On a side note, I have usually gained more with a girl.....and I feel looked worse. My boys were fairly kind to their mama. This little girl not so much

I'm sure you look like a fabulous pg mama!

February 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^I wasn't gonna mention gender...but I think it's playing a role for me too. I loved how I looked and felt preggo with the boys. This one....eh...not so much. And she appears to want more poundage on me than her brothers.

Maybe a princess for you too GranolaMama?!?
February 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Oh I can only hope! We've been praying for a girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search