GBS testing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 2 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By Counting our Blessings
  • 1 Post By meags
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218
  • 2 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will be giving birth in a hospital and I assume will be tested for GBS. I have tested positive in about half of my prengancies. I am at a new hosptial for this birth and would really prefer not to have to have antibiodics for many reasons . Is their anyway to try and prevent it?

February 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Lots of midwives swear by the a special regime of garlic, probiotics, and hibiclense the week before. I would take probiotics through your whole pregnancy anyways. One midwife around here suggests taking a probiotic containing L. Rhamnosus. She has all of her mamas take it and is getting great results with all of them.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 06:46 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I second the recommendation for the probiotic containing L Rhamnosus. My midwife was just telling me about this at my last appointment. She was probably talking about the same midwife as Que (we live in the same area), and if I remember correctly that midwife has not had a single case of GBS in her moms since beginning this regimen! Pretty impressive imo! I've never tested positive, but I plan to take it this pregnancy.

A gentle reminder - Even if you test positive you may have the right to refuse antibiotics, if you feel comfortable with that. It's worth talking about with your care provider. (I would still recommend the garlic, probiotic regimen).
therevslady likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I agree that if you test positive, you should review your options. I tested positive in my last pregnancy and chose to birth in the water instead of take antibiotics because research has shown water birth and meds to have similar transmission outcomes.
UrbanMomma and GranolaMamaOf3 like this.

February 27th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I didn't know that about water birth! Very interesting! Do you have a link to the studies?

February 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Here is an abstract... let me see if I can find something better though...

Waterbirth and GBS. [Midwifery Today Int Midwife. 2010-2011 Winter] - PubMed - NCBI

Oh! This is great and outlines it fully:
Group B Strep @ EMPOWERED BIRTH

February 27th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Super! Thanks!

February 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!!

My last 4 births have been waterbirths, but we moved and now my new hospital doesn't do them . I am starting to have anxiety about going without my water

I will try the probiotics and garlic regimin. Thanks so much for the tip. If I test postitive after that, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I very much dislike the thought of having an iv during labor and trying to move around and all that. I would feel like I was dancing with a pole
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wonder if Vitamn Shoppe carries that probiotic. I'll have to check. Is it out of the realm of feasibility to ask to be tested upon arrival at the hospital? If it is how long would the probiotics take to work? I feel like a dummy I had my 38 week appt Monday and totally forgot to ask about the outcome of my GBS swap. Maybe I don't have it though. Fingers crossed.
February 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Rose View Post
I wonder if Vitamn Shoppe carries that probiotic. I'll have to check. Is it out of the realm of feasibility to ask to be tested upon arrival at the hospital? If it is how long would the probiotics take to work? I feel like a dummy I had my 38 week appt Monday and totally forgot to ask about the outcome of my GBS swap. Maybe I don't have it though. Fingers crossed.
It takes a few days for the culture to come back. Ideally you would want to take to probiotics for at least a few weeks, but anything is better than nothing in my book. I would think they would have said something if you were positive, but I'd call and double check just so you are not caught off guard upon arriving at the hospital.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was GBS+ with my first, and i did not want abx again - nor any reason for an IV/hep loc....my midwife has you test yourself, so i didn't swab i was also doing probiotics, garlic, and hibiclens though just to ensure - but i didn't want any sort of risk, so i swabbed my leg and that was that

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad this was asked. I just had my GBS test done, and I too was able to do it myself, but I did swab the right places...
I actually did the test last week but my birthday was written as 9/21/13 so they wouldn't run it. I'm a little nervous that I'm finding out so late, and won't have as much time to work on taking things. I do take a probiotic, but not on a regular basis. Hopefully its negative and I don't even have to worry!

March 3rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Could someone please elaborate on the garlic and probiotic regimen, or link me to a site that tells me about it? I have always been GBS+ and I would rather not be this time. Thanks!
March 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran
Que and GranolaMama do you know, or have any way of finding out, exactly what probiotic that midwife is having her mamas take? I am very interested in it and want to try all I can before my GBS test this time.

Thanks ladies!
keekopeeko likes this.

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
March 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am really curious about it too. I have not been positive and dont want to be. I heard from several people about probiotics. I would be curious to know which ones to take. I found these: http://www.amazon.com/Benebiotics-Mu...h+L.+RHamnosus on Amazon. But I am clueless about this kind of stuff! Lol.
keekopeeko likes this.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
March 18th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran
I did a little more research online (still not really being much of an expert on probiotics at all) and found that it looks like you want a probiotic with Lactobacillus GR-1 and Lactobacillus RC-14 in it.

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
March 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...Q#.UUfHvBzqnrQ

This is the one that is recommended. She has had a 100% success rate (everyone who has done the regime, has tested negative).
keekopeeko and ashj_1218 like this.

March 19th, 2013, 11:13 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to take these!

For the garlic, can it be any type of garlic supplement? And do you have to do the vaginal cleanse ? I've been + one out of 3 times and would MUCH prefer to go IV free again .. Although I was already planning on requesting the vaginal treatment during labor instead of the IV

March 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Thanks Que! Just ordered those Hoping I don't mess up her stats! Lol.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
March 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM
For the garlic treatment, you insert a garlic clove in your vagina over night for the week leading up to the test.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search