anyone else NOT feel the "ring of fire"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heard so much about the ring of fire when planning my last natural childbirth.

I don't know if having a water birth cancelled out the fire feeling, but honestly, I think "ring of fire" sounds a lot better than what I ACTUALLY felt pushing the baby out.

But most people describe it as ring of fire. For me it just felt like my ENTIRE body was going to split in two. I was in SO MUCH pain that I don't think I could have "localized" the pain to a ring of anything anywhere.

Is this unusual?

I still plan on having another NCB and thought my NCB was 1000 times better than my epi births. I just don't seem to be on the same page as most people regarding the pain of pushing.
March 7th, 2013, 05:39 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am 100% with you. I wasn't in the water, but still did not have a ring of fire. I just felt like my body was splitting in two. It felt the same with my first too. I hate pushing. But am lucky I am a quick pusher, so it's short lived. I dread pushing this time, not labor..I am cool with labor. But pushing is what I dread.
March 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
the pushing is what I dread too I'm also a quick pusher, thankfully, but man, that's a horrible feeling. I wish I knew something that helps with that stage, but I never see anything about.
March 7th, 2013, 07:23 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I thought I was tearing down there. I asked over and over again if I tore but I had no tearing at all. I realized later that maybe that's what people were talking about.

March 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I thought maybe, but they keep saying "burning" and burning sounds like it would feel a lot better than what I really felt. Also, I couldn't tell you where the pain was coming from. Down there was PART of it, but really my WHOLE BODY hurt like it was splitting in half. It's only 5 minutes of the process (for me) but it stinks.
March 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^Thats how mine feels too. I immediately panic when I get the pushing urge...mostly because my whole body reacts. It is "down there," but actually what bothers me is that I can feel pressure everywhere. I shake and it feels like evn my eyes are coming out. It's just a powerful feeling and I think my body intrinsically fights it a bit. I try not to, but I don't have a lot of control at that point.
alittlelost likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally relate to the "splitting in half" feeling. That's what I felt with my third son and he had the biggest head out of any of my kids. With some of the others I felt the "ring of fire" and with one I didn't feel anything at all. I guess each birth is just different and I do wonder if head size has something to do with it.
March 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a tiny bit of the 'ring of fire' feeling as her head advanced, but only for a split second and then things were so compressed down there I went numb pretty fast. She spun from sunny side up when I started pushing, so all I really felt was the back labor finally letting up, and that was such an incredible relief that I remember the time pushing as the least painful. It was just so amazing not to be having back spasms. I did feel the all over pressure and horrid shaking, but only during transition.

March 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran
I don't recall ever feeling that "ring of fire" (we've had 4 babies so far and are expecting #5 any day now).
I have to admit, the pushing feels better to me than the actual labor.
Interesting how we all experience labor differently.
March 7th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I talked to my midwife about it today, and she thinks it was the POSITION of my last child coming out. I admit, his position was pretty bad (his whole face was bruised for 2 weeks after birth because he basically pushed out against my coccyx bone. They made a note to try to encourage other pushing positions for me to help prevent that this time. We'll see. I feel a little better about it now.
March 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I agree with you ladies! I can handle the labor, but the pushing makes me so scared. My last 4 have been waterbirths and I still felt it, although to a lesser degree I think. I am 32 weeks and am starting to get nervous of the pushing stage. I don't see it as the relief stage. Sorry, I'm no help, but I understand completely.

March 7th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I push my babies out fast. By the time it gets to the 'ring of fire' part the baby is out in under a minute so I don't really feel it much. It's just one huge sensation of movement. I felt more with my middle daughter since I tore a tiny bit with her (not even worth a stitch).

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 7th, 2013, 08:03 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did not feel the ring of fire. I was dreading it when she started to crown but I never felt it. Pushing and delivering her was actually pretty painless for me which was a welcome relief after the brutal transition that I had. I was pushing for an hour and didn't tear though, so maybe having it happen so slowly had something to do with it? I also held a warm wash cloth with olive oil on my perineum and maybe it helped.
alittlelost likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 10:43 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just felt tearing. I remember saying I'm tearing, I'm tearing. But it didn't feel that bad honestly. Pushing was the best part for me though, labor sucked. But I had horrible back labor so Idk.
March 8th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I push my babies out fast. By the time it gets to the 'ring of fire' part the baby is out in under a minute so I don't really feel it much. It's just one huge sensation of movement. I felt more with my middle daughter since I tore a tiny bit with her (not even worth a stitch).
My pushing time is similar to yours, but my pain is obviously different. I push about 5 minutes but once they crown the rest is fast, but only because it hurts SO bad it just can't happen fast enough. I need the baby OUT!
March 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure this was the best thread for me to read when I'm 40 weeks pregnant...

March 8th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are going to have a great, painless labor, I just know it!

March 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtKuKi View Post
I'm not sure this was the best thread for me to read when I'm 40 weeks pregnant...
Sorry! If it's any help, my labor was REALLY easy and the actual "pain" (from pushing) was short lived. And I've had epidural births before and would still do a NCB any day
March 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I hope it goes well...

March 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
It is interesting reading this. did you ladies that had the "Spliting in half" pain have bigger babies? My 3rd was 10 lbs when she was born and for me I describe it as her ripping my insides out. Seriously if felt like she was ripping me apart when she was born. I only had to have a couple of stiches but it was soo bad even my doctor apologized! I seriously don't think he had seen a mom in that much pain while pushing the baby out. and he's been delivering babies for 15 years!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search