Log In Sign Up

What do you say?


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 2 Post By Calendula
  • 2 Post By MyFantasticFour
  • 2 Post By Husher
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By MyFantasticFour
  • 4 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 2 Post By keekopeeko
  • 3 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 2 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,331
When you are confronted with natural birth doubters, what do you say to them?
__________________



Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
depends what their doubts are!
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 12,934
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
exactly - depends on what they say. I usually just respond with facts or personal experience. But there are so many different circumstances you'd have to be more specific
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
__________________
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, and Whitney

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!




Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 23rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 7,278
Like when it comes up and you say "I'm going to try for a natural birth" and they rudely declare "oh you'll give up as soon as it gets intense!" Or "well no one likes a hero" ... That kind of thing???
__________________
~Em, Married to Matt since 7/3/04. Mommy to Layla 3/29/06, Eva 10/18/08, Zeke 2/4/11 and Jonah 7/28/13

Reply With Quote
  #5  
March 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,513
It does depend. If someone is genuinely curious or mis-informed, I try to provide rational reasonable answers. If someone is dismissive and flippant but not really rude, I try to shrug it off and just say I think it was right for me.

The people who seem to be trying to discourage you from doing it, or insulting you for only doing it as an ego trip? I can get snippy. I try not to, because I know it doesn't help, but seriously. "What do you mean I don't get a trophy for it? I thought it was just taking so long because it was being engraved! Oh, man!"
"It's safer? Really? Thanks, I'll make sure the birthing center knows they've been doing it wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
Like when it comes up and you say "I'm going to try for a natural birth" and they rudely declare "oh you'll give up as soon as it gets intense!" Or "well no one likes a hero" ... That kind of thing???
Ugh, I hated hearing that.

Something along the lines of "Thanks for the vote of confidence. I guess there's only one way to find out." Really, what can you say to something like that? It's an awful thing to say to someone.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
March 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,233
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaCakes View Post
When you are confronted with natural birth doubters, what do you say to them?
As little as possible. I'm not a very good advocate, I guess.. after so many years of having the same conversations I just got tired of it.
__________________
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)


I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!



Reply With Quote
  #7  
March 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
Like when it comes up and you say "I'm going to try for a natural birth" and they rudely declare "oh you'll give up as soon as it gets intense!" Or "well no one likes a hero" ... That kind of thing???
I love that comment. It just means THEY didn't have it in them to try. It's not like EVERYONE gives up lol
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
March 23rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
No one has ever said it to me but I would actually say "I'm sorry you felt that way." One of my other groups posted the other day about how first time moms trying to go natural are so full of themselves. I just kept my mouth shut because it's clearly said out of insecurity.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #9  
March 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,622
I just rave and rave and rave about how absolutely AMAZING my natural births were. I talk about how uncomfortable we were in a hospital, even though we still had a natural birth there (minus the pitocin) and then I tell them how the birth high never ended after the water birth with my second son. It's not for everyone, but it's for ME.

They can't argue when I have had both experiences and KNOW what is best for my body and baby.
__________________

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!




Reply With Quote
  #10  
March 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
One thing that bugs me a little is that someone who is pro hospital can go on at length and loudly about how great hospitals and hospital births are, or how not having them is dangerous, or that it makes no sense to go through that pain for "nothing" etc, and that's fine. No one says a cross word about it. But if you did the same thing about natural birth (talked at length about all the benefits, etc) then people say you are "full of yourself" of "judgmental" or "on a high horse". I think this is why a lot of natural birthing mamas don't talk about their experiences quite as much.

Oh, or when you try to, you get 10 words out before you are interrupted for someone to give their hour long speech on how great hospital births are and how they could never have any other kind of birth, and then when you try again to say something, they change the subject and won't let you get in a word. Unfortunately, there is a lady who does this about EVERYTHING in our circle of moms. For example, she'll go on about how right her political choices are, and then if you mention yours and they are different from hers, she'll say "Oh, I just don't talk about politics or religion because it's not appropriate." It's like, hello, you were JUST talking about politics. She just doesn't want anyone ELSE to talk about them so tries to guilt people out of speaking up so they can't disagree with her.

Okay, that turned into a rant about something else oops
MyFantasticFour likes this.
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
March 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
I know exactly what you mean, Lost! I was at a Tastefully Simple party on Friday night and all of the women were talking about their c-sections and how doctors should have induced sooner for bigger babies and all of this crazy stuff and it was so awkward for me because I know that if I started disagreeing, I'd be the odd man out and probably looked at like I was bragging or something. Oh well, I'm happy with the way I did things and I DO think I have some helpful information to offer but I'm not judging anybody for their choices...I just wish I could share mine without the judgment!!!
alittlelost likes this.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #12  
March 24th, 2013, 10:08 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
Like when it comes up and you say "I'm going to try for a natural birth" and they rudely declare "oh you'll give up as soon as it gets intense!"
That's exactly the kind of thing I've had already - people telling me I'll want that epidural as soon as the contractions start, that natural birth is crazy, and that epidurals and inductions are not dangerous at all (because if they were, we would have heard about it from someone we know - uh HELLO, this isn't the center of the universe and uneducated opinions do not beat out research and evidence). I actually had one person laugh at me and (I'm sure what she thought was diplomatically) say that I'm naive and will change my mind when the time comes. NONE of these people attempted or even thought about natural birth. By their own words they went in planning to have an epidural, and some even asked and insisted on induction as soon as possible. So how do ANY of them know what it's like to attempt a natural birth, or how hard it is, when they walked in the door asking for drugs? How do ANY of them know what I am capable of when I haven't even tried yet?

What eats me up the most is that I listened to their labor and birth stories, and never once did I chime in to say, "You know inductions are really dangerous for babies," or "Epidurals and inductions tend to lead to longer, more difficult labors and increase the risk of complications." I respect their decisions because they have a right to them. Why do I not have a right to mine as well? And if I say something in defense of my decision - not in criticism of theirs - I'm just a naive fool who doesn't know anything. Why do they have a right to express their thoughts, but I do not have the same?
__________________



Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; March 24th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
March 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 7,278
Because you are a FTM mom and everyone thinks they know better... BUT.. They don't! You have done the research ! You do know what you want! So go get it! ... And you know what.. If you get the natural birth you have always wanted you can tell them you got it and always know for YOURSELF that you were strong and capable! ... ALSO I've known girls who wanted the natural birth and then ended up being induced and with csections because of pre E.. And I felt terrible about how much they blamed themselves... But really there ARE situations and times where you just have to let go.. Ad be thankful for a healthy baby and the times that medical interventions ARE an ok thing.. I'm just trying to say labor and delivery is unpredictable and do your research! And be strong! And I'll be rooting for you so much to get a natural delivery! (I'm in your DDC too)
Husher and GranolaMamaOf3 like this.
__________________
~Em, Married to Matt since 7/3/04. Mommy to Layla 3/29/06, Eva 10/18/08, Zeke 2/4/11 and Jonah 7/28/13

Reply With Quote
  #14  
March 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekopeeko View Post
I've known girls who wanted the natural birth and then ended up being induced and with csections because of pre E.. And I felt terrible about how much they blamed themselves.
That's got to be heartbreaking. Unfortunately we all know those interventions were created for a reason - sometimes they're needed. They're just a little abused these days. In the end I chose natural birth for my baby, not myself. If it's not what is best for her then it's not. As long as she comes out safe and sound and healthy
__________________



Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
March 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 6,191
I didn't have many doubters before I started out because I chose to keep my choices to myself. If anyone asked specifically, I would just say, "We'll see how it goes and just take it one contraction at a time." People spent more time questioning my choice of using a midwife and stuff like that. I really did just try not to talk about it.

Now it's no secret. I don't get doubters, but I get people who think I'm crazy. I don't really care though. I don't engage with people who seem to want to poke fun. I'll have earnest conversations with folks who really want to know more though.
__________________
Previously known as ~~Que~~

Reply With Quote
  #16  
March 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
I've done a couple presentations at school so far with NCB and so far I haven't had any negative results. I start with my story and experience and then I go from there with facts to back up why I choose this route. I've had a few, "good for you but it's not for me" and that's fine. I'm just hoping to open my eyes to someone there. I also do this for breast feeding as well which I think everyone can do.

I think now that I've done it I don't get any negative comments anymore. What can they say to me lol? Before I did though, I got them all the time and just didn't talk to people about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
April 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,023
"We live a very natural lifestyle in everything we do" -- I haven't really come across any doubters in my personal life. At least they've kept snide comments and opinions to themselves.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #18  
April 7th, 2013, 08:48 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 5,906
Typically I try to keep my opinion to myself, unless I've been asked or its an open conversation. Then I try to clear up misinformation and false statements by sharing simple scientific facts.

I've been in more than one group setting (baby shower, Tupperware party..) Where moms were raving on their epidurals and I just bit my tongue... And then someone pops in with "Heather is a doula and she has natural HOME births!" .....so with all eyes on me (some critical, some shocked, andsome intrigued) I just try to gently answer the big question they're all wanting to know; WHY?! And that's because, after doing a lot of research this was what my husband and I felt was the best option for our family. If further inquiries come, I answer them in a non judgmental, fact based manner. "Statistics show..."

Ultimately my biggest reason for going natural is a) I believe it is the safest and healthiest option for my baby. And b) women have been having natural births for as long as humans have been around. It just seems normal and right.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #19  
April 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 5,906
I guess because I was involved with doula work prior to having children I didn't get as many naysayers, just the typical "well good luck with that!" (accompanied by a look that said "you're crazy!") To which I simply smile and say "thank you".

To the one person who told me with my *second* baby (after already having had a successful NB) "Just go to the hospital and get the epidural. Its way easier!" I replied "its not about what's easiest. It's about what's best and healthiest for my baby!".
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #20  
April 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,966
I don't like to hear people's criticism about my choices so I usually shut it down fairly quickly if they are being rude or "right fighters". I just tell them I've had the alternative "easy birth": the epidural, all of the unnecessary interventions, which led me to a c-section and then that absolutely WONDERFUL recovery. I'm not interested in going that route again. My body=my pain=my choice. They don't need to worry about it. I don't like to mess around with it LOL!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0