help me mommas

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 09:45 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
both of our kids have been natural hospital births....i saw the same midwife both pregnancies, but at 38w with Hunter (younger child) our midwife was fired, because she was opening a free standing birth center and she was overheard telling her current patients about it, so the hospital accused her of stealing business and fired her. SHe went into practice with a great family dr. with ab OB speciality when i was 40 weeks and she had to get her delivery privliges reinstated...which she did, they kicked in may 4th, Hunter was born May 2nd..so the family dr is the one listed on the birth certificate, even though my husband caught the baby and the dr wasnt even there yet (walked in at 0638, was nursing him at 0652)....always assumed i would see the same midwife at the free standing birth center for subsequent kids...but the birth center is SO busy....(She budget 20 births in the first year, she was at 100 births at 10 months) that im worried i won't get a birth suite (she only has 2 right now)....

so then we were like, well what the heck we'll just homebirth...well we live in rural iowa and we have crazy weather. im a little worried that if something were to go .. not as planned, we wouldn't be able to get to the hosp. fast enough (its over an hour away, there's one about 15 minutes away,but i wouldnt take my dog there) ....

so we could have another hospital birth, but i really dont want that..the hospital is great, allows water birth, does the majority of natural births for this area, the dr. is great....he would be our provider should we decide to have an unassisted home birth (pretty tough to find a midwife that will come to our area) and he's totally cool with unassisted home births....

biased aside, what seems to be the best option? crazy question i know....im not in a super hurry to decide because i rarely even go to the appts until the 2nd trimester, but it's something i'm definitely thinking about.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
March 28th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Why exactly are you opposed to going to the hospital?
March 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Hmmm...wow. Tough options. My first instinct is hospital. Given the positive atmosphere surrounding your hospital options. I think that if the previous experiences were good and you totally love the doc and knows he supports you, it would be where I would be inclined to choose.

I can see the dilemma with home birth. If you were a bit closer, I would be all for it. But given your location...and being due in...maybe December (?)...it would worry me if something did not go according to plan that it would be quite difficult to get into the hospital or to a provider.

It's sad how needed that birth center really was in your area...for it to be that busy! I fear the same thing would happen here if we got one...it would just be insanely in demand, thus making it a less ideal option come delivery time.

I guess you can always wait and see as your pregnancy progresses. Obviously any complications/high risk situations would make your decision for you (not that it would be good for that to happen) or if all is going just fabulous,you could make the decision to home birth.

Of the options presented, I would be inclined toward the hospital at this point in time. But, again, your hospital sounds pretty great comparatively and I think it's swaying me more toward it than if it were more hostile for NCB.
March 28th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I'm just not a fan of hospitals in general. They are for sick people

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
March 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I are in a really rural place as well. Sometimes when the weather is bad he has to plow out to the main road himself. I'd loooove to have a home birth but if we are delivering in the winter especially, getting out gets really tricky, really fast.

So, we are stuck with a hospital as well. I feel like if I have a normal delivery, it will be more a pain in the butt because we'll have to get there in labor and then have to come home with a tiny baby who would rather be in his or her parents' arms! Better safe than sorry, though.

Good luck in your decision! It sounds like the hospital is as supportive as can be, so hopefully they do well with you and your babe!
March 29th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH and I are in a really rural place as well. Sometimes when the weather is bad he has to plow out to the main road himself. I'd loooove to have a home birth but if we are delivering in the winter especially, getting out gets really tricky, really fast.

So, we are stuck with a hospital as well. I feel like if I have a normal delivery, it will be more a pain in the butt because we'll have to get there in labor and then have to come home with a tiny baby who would rather be in his or her parents' arms! Better safe than sorry, though.

Good luck in your decision! It sounds like the hospital is as supportive as can be, so hopefully they do well with you and your babe!
April 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Hmm. I'm all for Home birth and agree with you - generally speakjng, hospitals are for sick people. I'm not opposed to unassisted, so long as the couple is truly educated and prepared, but pairing unassisted with the hospital being so far away would make me uncomfortable. If you were to have a midwife attend your home birth she would bring her experience and could help foresee complications before they are an emergency, and you would likely have plenty of time to transfer. On the other hand this is your third and you have a pretty good idea of how your body labors.. I'm no help. LOL!

How far is the birthing center from you?

April 9th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
Hmm. I'm all for Home birth and agree with you - generally speakjng, hospitals are for sick people. I'm not opposed to unassisted, so long as the couple is truly educated and prepared, but pairing unassisted with the hospital being so far away would make me uncomfortable. If you were to have a midwife attend your home birth she would bring her experience and could help foresee complications before they are an emergency, and you would likely have plenty of time to transfer. On the other hand this is your third and you have a pretty good idea of how your body labors.. I'm no help. LOL!

How far is the birthing center from you?

the birth center and the hospital are on the same road, they are both about 1:20 driving the speed limit, but we can get down there in 40 minutes.

the only concern i have with UC'ing is the weather in December....it's early december, so it probably won't be bad, but in iowa you have no idea, ya know?.....we can't find a midwife we like to come to our area...we spoke with 1 that is 2 hours away and she was SO rude, she told me if i wanted to use her services i had to come to her house and give birth?! seriously?! what the heck? why would i drive 2 hours to give birth at her house, when i could drive an hour to a birth center? she was just rude

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
April 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has the birth center had an incident yet were there were not enough rooms? My BC is extremely busy and there's three birth suites but they've assured me they've never had to turn a mother away because there was no room. I know their record is 5 deliveries in a 24 hour period and all the moms still ended up with a room. It's pretty rare that three of yall would go into labor at once and be in ACTIVE labor. My BC won't admit you until you're 5-6 cm. Are there policies the same? I can understand it be different if they let a mom labor there who is 2cm. She could be using that room for a long time!
April 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy

The birth center I had Anna at, also had 2 rooms, but said they only once had 3 moms in labor at the same time and were able to make do with one of the other rooms and an inflatable tub. You said 100 births in 10 months? That's not bad, that's 10 births a month, so it sounds they still aren't super busy. In your situation, I would really lean toward the birth center. Another perk, you have already established a relationship with that midwife, so you are comfortable with her.

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search